A young man in a red shirt ponders while a music note, book, lightbulb, and soccer ball swirl around him.
Illustration by Fátima Jandeska, Columbia College Chicago

Best 2024 Goals for College Students

Here’s some serious and fun goals all college students should add to their New Year’s resolution list!

New Year’s resolutions have become a bit of a joke in the world, being well-known for something you don’t actually intend to accomplish. Instead, shift gears towards a reasonable goal and find a way to track it in order to keep with your resolution. Whether it be a vision board or a planner, don’t let your goals escape you this year! Do you need a few ideas to get you started? StudyBreaks is here to help!

Sleep Schedule

Now, you probably rolled your eyes reading this one. After all, everyone encourages you to regulate your sleep schedule. Try rethinking it, however. You don’t have to do anything crazy, like switch from going to bed at 3 a.m. to going to bed at 10 p.m., but try to regulate it a bit more. Maybe set a bedtime for yourself, or come up with a nightly routine. A balanced schedule really helps out, even if you’re staying up until 3 a.m.

Skincare

Add some skincare routines into your life! There’s plenty of different techniques to try out and it never hurts to give your skin a healthy glow. If your skin is oily, dry, or sensitive and needs a gentler touch, there’s plenty of different skincare products for you

Find a New Hobby

Building new hobbies is a great goal to have for 2024! Take a break from your studies to learn to play guitar, crochet, or maybe even go hiking. This one is extremely flexible to be tailored to personal tastes. If you decide you don’t like crocheting, maybe you can take on baking, or try out a new sport. By making it a habit to start a new hobby, you can try lots of activities that align with your other goals. It’s a great way to establish healthy habits. For example, if you want to spend more time being active and you pick up the hobby of hiking, you’re killing two birds with one stone. 

Exercise

Exercise is a great habit for anyone to have. This year, try to incorporate more activity into your life! Whether it be full-on workout routines, or just parking your car further away so you walk more. Make small goals for yourself. Any small amount of activity is better than no activity. Things like taking the stairs instead of the elevator, or taking breaks to walk around your room when you are studying – anything to get your blood moving helps!

Reading

Everyone needs to read more. It is such a good habit to build, and this one can be tailored as well. You can pick books of any genre, from fantasy to nonfiction. You could even read children’s books if that’s what scratches your brain! And, as a bonus, reading is great for the brain and helps improve your life academically. With tips on how to transition from reading Young Adult fiction to Adult fiction, reading as a college student just gets easier and easier. Even if you’re an English or Literature major who is doing a lot of reading anyway, don’t forget to try to read for fun sometimes too! 

Stress Management

While this could be both fun and serious, stress management is a huge goal that everyone should pursue. Trying to manage stress, especially as a college student, can be incredibly difficult. With midterms and papers and finals, we get stressed just thinking about the upcoming semester. You probably do, too. Finding small ways to manage your stress, whether it be exercising or finding a new hobby, every small amount of stress relief helps. Spend some time with your friends, create new memories and adventures, and just be yourself. Taking a break from the things that make life so intense can really help with your stress levels.

Spending More Time in Nature

Spending more time in nature is important because we can get our daily dose of vitamin D along with a nice tan! Try enjoying a good hike or a walk by the lake. Spending even a short amount of time outside can help decrease stress and depression, which is a great thing to introduce into our lives! 

Connecting with Loved Ones

Have you been getting too busy with classes and forgetting to spend time with people you love? There are plenty of inexpensive ways to reconnect with the people you love. Making time for people you care about is really important for mental health and building relationships. To keep relationships strong, you’ve definitely got to spend time together. Take some time this year to clear a spot in your schedule for the people you care the most about! 

Start a Journal

If you don’t already, starting a journal is a fun goal for 2024. You can use photos and make it more of a photo journal, write down your daily feelings, or even just make a gratitude journal. Journals are incredibly versatile, so breaking one in is a great new habit. You could use a cheap spiral notebook, or if you really want to splurge, you could buy a nicer journal with calendar dates and writing prompts that costs a bit more. 

There are plenty of great goals and habits to develop for 2024. We hope this list helps you out and helps you get a great start to your 2024!

Natalie VanHecke, University of Texas at Dallas

Contributing Writer

Natalie VanHecke

University of Texas at Dallas

Literature

"Natalie is a Literature major at the University of Texas at Dallas. When she’s not writing or studying, she can be found curled up with a good book and her dog."