For an article on hang out ideas, three hand drawings of people sitting on picnic blankets, laughing and chatting.
Illustration by Lucy Bauer, Columbia College Chicago

Hangout Ideas for Broke College Kids 

Too broke to go out? Here’s a few inexpensive activities to do with friends!

College kids are notorious for being broke. Going to school is expensive, living is expensive, and going out is expensive. That doesn’t prevent us from wanting to have fun though. Hangouts are always fun, but it can be difficult to find cheap ways to spend time with friends that aren’t just sitting on someone’s couch talking. So, what are some inexpensive (or free) ways to hang out with your friends?

Picnics

If the weather is nice out, reach for that gingham blanket and basket of food for an outdoor hangout! Picnics are a great way to get some sunshine and to share some delicious food with friends. You can bring a frisbee, art supplies, or some board games. The only expense is literally your food, so you can always just snag some leftovers from your fridge and bring those.

Piece together some college kid charcuterie with some lunch meat and cheese – the sandwich fixings all college kids should have. Or if you’re plant-based, snag some grapes from your grocery store for a few bucks. Picnics are a great way to stay budget-friendly, be aesthetic and get a great hangout in with some friends.

Museums

Local museums are also great hangout spots. Most museums are free or relatively inexpensive, and some even offer student discounts. Dress up to make yourself feel like an art critic and enjoy wandering around the exhibits, making up stories about the artwork. Admire Greek statues, explore contemporary art, and make sure to snag an artsy postcard in the giftshop. Even spending just a morning at the museum will provide you with plenty of fun. You can even follow it up with an inexpensive lunch at someone’s apartment. Or, if the weather permits, a picnic would be a great way to spend your post-museum afternoon.

Drive-In Movies

Drive-in movies aren’t as easy to come by, but they are a great way to spend an evening. They’re inexpensive, and a great source of fun. Grab your crew, load up in someone’s car with blankets and snacks, and drive out to your closest drive-in! Catch a film for about $8 per adult (at least if you’re in Texas) and experience something new! It’s a great way to get a retro experience to check off of your bucket list. If it’s your first time, here’s a few tips to get you on your way to having the best time you can.

Roller Skating

Roller skating is a great hangout idea. The only cost is the roller rink’s skate rentals and admissions price, which combined tends to sit at about $10. It’s an activity that most who grew up in the 2000s  have experienced at some point– undoubtedly for a fun birthday party at the rink– so it’s a fantastic way to get some of that nostalgia of your childhood into your hangout time.

Window Shopping

Window shopping is another classic that just about everyone is familiar with. Gather up your friends, head to the mall, and spend some time perusing the wares of all of your favorite stores. If you have a bit of money to spare, spoil yourself a little. Pick out fun clothes for your friends and see who can come up with the most outlandish outfit, try on the most ridiculous clothes you can find, or see who can look the most like a celebrity. Be fashionable or be quirky– malls are meant for fun, so enjoy it.

Pillow Forts

We all remember these from fun childhood misadventures that inevitably ended with the living room covered with a disaster of blankets. This is a great way to get comfy and cozy! Have all of your friends bring over their favorite blankets and pillows. Pile them up with couches, chairs and cushions. Don’t be afraid to bust out fairy lights and string them up as well. TikTok is full of great tutorials and ideas, if you’re like me and have a hard time figuring out the best way to build a fort.

Movie Nights

Sometimes, a good old-fashioned movie night is just the way to go. Hit the Dollar Store, grab some popcorn and movie candy, and plop you and your friends down on the couch with whichever streaming service you have at your liberty. Or, you could hit the Redbox and rent something! (Yes, they do still exist.) 

Photoshoots

Dig through your closet and find something fun to wear! Grab a camera and drag your friends along to a nearby park, nature trail, or somewhere old downtown. Photoshoots are fun for all involved and you can do them at any time of day. Feel like a rockstar, and do it all for free by taking some stellar shots of you and your friends. Update your Instagram with some wonderful photos and spend your day exploring your city!

Home Spa Days

Go wild with this one! Buy a cucumber for about $1 and cut it into slices, make homemade sugar scrubs, and listen to a relaxing playlist. Home spa days are pretty inexpensive if you make all the scrubs and masks yourself. Buy some inexpensive nail polish and give yourself a manicure while you’re at it. There are plenty of ways to enjoy a spa at home and on a budget. College is stressful—you deserve to relax! 

Progressive Dinner

Progressive dinners were pretty popular when I was in middle school and early high school. This is a fun way to enjoy a several-course meal with your friends, with a single person hosting each course. The dinner can be as many courses long as you’d like, and you travel from house to house to eat each different course. It’s only as expensive as your courses are, so if you get stuck with appetizers or dessert, it’ll be cheaper than if you’re the one making the entrée. Get creative and see what delicious food you can make.

Visit a Farmer’s Market

Farmer’s markets are incredibly fun to explore and visit. You get to see a variety of vendors, try local produce, and support small businesses. Most cities do them about once a month, just do a quick google search to see when a farmer’s market will be near you! This is a great way to get some exploring in and see what sorts of local craft-smiths are in your area.

Go Stargazing

Last, but most certainly not least, is stargazing. Stargazing is probably the easiest activity to do on the list. Just find an open field, a clear night, and hang out with all of your friends. If someone has a pickup truck, this will be even more fun. Pile some blankets, pillows, and snacks into the bed of the truck and don’t forget your crew! Take turns finding constellations or make up your own and see what stories you can create with the stars. Spend some time with your friends talking, enjoying the weather, and just experiencing the great outdoors. 

There are plenty of ways to save a few pennies, especially when hanging out with your friends. These are just a few of them. Give them a shot, and let us know what you think!

Natalie VanHecke, University of Texas at Dallas

Contributing Writer

Natalie VanHecke

University of Texas at Dallas

Literature

"Natalie is a Literature major at the University of Texas at Dallas. When she’s not writing or studying, she can be found curled up with a good book and her dog."