documentary

7 Must-See Netflix Documentaries for Every Fashion Lover

These documentaries will satisfy hard-core fans of the fashion industry with insights into the life and the creative process of the most iconic designers.

Before you can afford those legendary red-bottoms by Christian Louboutin, treat yourself with some satisfying behind-the-scene moments in the process of creating them.

“The First Monday in May”

The documentary follows the occasion of the Met Gala, fashion’s biggest night that everyone from artists, politicians to industry professionals come to be a part of. In fact, the attention and coverage of the red carpet looks at the Met Gala are above any award show.

Anna Wintour, editor-in-chief at Vogue Magazine, artistic director at Conde Nast and a trustee at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, is responsible for every detail of this event. Ultimately, the Met Gala is a fundraising event to raise money for The Costume Institute, an exhibition within the Met.

What makes this documentary a must-see is the many questions it raises that many of us haven’t thought about, such as “Is fashion art?” and “If commerce is associated with anything creative, is it disqualified as art?” Overall, it addresses the issues within arts and culture at large, circulating conversations that most people don’t have or even consider.

“Jeremy Scott: The People’s Fashion Designer”

Jeremy Scott is one of the most brilliantly idiosyncratic yet underrated designers of the century. His unique approach to the creative process in fashion has allowed him to be successful in his namesake brand and the luxury European brand, Moschino.

“Jeremy Scott: The People’s Designer” gives major insight into the life of Jeremy Scott, covering everything from his upbringing to his appointment as creative director at Moschino. Through the documentary, viewers will quickly begin to see why he’s referred to as “the people’s designer.”

Most, if not all Hollywood rebels, including Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga, wear Scott’s clothing because they are a living, breathing embodiment of the designer’s idea, whether it is freedom, rebellion or empowerment.

Every garment is a statement piece as the designer has been known to include company logos, bold animal prints and many other risky design elements into his collections. And while that may have cost him the respect from high-fashion professionals, it’s granted him recognition from everybody who’s anybody as “the people’s designer.”

“Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf’s”

“Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf’s” is all about specialty retailer Bergdorf Goodman, its rich history and prevalence in lives of both fashion people and members of the top 1 percent.

Bergdorf Goodman, currently owned by Neiman Marcus, is a premier luxury retail store that is responsible for selling designs by fashion royalty such as Yves Saint Laurent, Tom Ford, Alexander McQueen and Diane Von Furstenberg. Every designer who wishes to establish themselves strives to have their collections on the racks of Bergdorf Goodman.

The Osborne’s and Audrey Hepburn were known to get their furs and hats from Bergdorf’s, which is how they became known for dressing the who’s who of Hollywood.

More specifically, Betty Halbreich, lead stylist at Bergdorf, is the go-to person for anyone needing fashion advices in the store. Linda Fargo is responsible for scouting and developing design talent so that fashion designers at every level in every sector have a chance at a successful future in fashion.

“In Louboutin’s Shoes”

King of women’s shoes and creator of the red bottoms, Christian Louboutin, has an understanding of women and fashion that is unlike anyone in his field. Louboutin has managed to create a variety of shoes that have empowered women for decades, despite how comfortable they are.

In fact, Louboutin says that he would “hate for someone to look at my shoes and say, ‘Oh my god! That looks so comfortable.” This definitely speaks to his philosophy of presentation over comfortability and that looking powerful has precedence over suffering feet.

In “In Louboutin’s Shoes,” viewers are taken through the creative process of Louboutin and witnessing how his shoes are made. It’s quite likely that if you’re a fashion-lover, you’ve nearly drooled at the idea of owning a pair of red bottoms, which explains why you should see this film all the more.

“IRIS”

Iris Apfel, age 96, is one of the most prominent fashion icons of today. Her seasoned eye and creative vision have earned her the title of the auntie of the fashion industry. She’s responsible for nurturing talent and cultivating invigorating design concepts in interior design.

In the age of minimalism, Apfel is arguably the most tasteful maximalist designer. In fact, Iris believes that “more is more and less is a bore,” which her personal style and home design are evidence of. Oftentimes, Iris serves as a creative consultant for many fashion houses and design firms because of her artistic experience.

“IRIS” allows us to see how Iris lives with an emphasis on her design and her choices. Although she isn’t at the forefront of fashion, she holds the respect of nearly everyone in the fashion industry.

“Inside British Vogue”

Vogue Magazine is one of the many publications housed under Conde Nast. Within Vogue, there are magazines distributed by Vogue in India, Great Britain and Italy, among others. British Vogue, next to American Vogue, is one of the more popular and prominent Vogue offices.

“Inside British Vogue” gives us access to the day-to-day activities of British Vogue editors and directors. The process of developing stories, styling models and creating magazine design and layout are only a few of the artistic duties we’re exposed to.

Every fashion-lover would love to see inner workings of the most influential and glorified fashion publications in the fashion industry, so dig in and enjoy the documentary.

“House of Z”

“House of Z” is a documentary that every fashion-lover should see, especially young ones. Zac Posen, age 37, is one of the most decorated fashion designers in contemporary society. It’s incredibly difficult to break into the industry and this designer has far exceeded the expectations of fashion insiders. He got his start in fashion at an early age and soon rose to success.

What makes this documentary especially interesting is that it grants insight into the very realistic highs and lows of most fashion designers. The documentary also focuses on how Zac Posen has been crowned as a dressmaking king, fueling his creative prowess and notorious arrogance. 

Julian Randall, Texas Tech University

Julian Randall

Texas Tech University
Advertising