Photo Illustration by Roberto Soto, Source Images via SXSW

7 Films to Hit at SXSW 2024

Black Twitter, DCOM-inspired horror, gay beaches and Ayo Edebiri. SXSW 2024 has the film for you!

SXSW 2024 offers dozens of world-class film and television but can be overwhelming in its bounty. Plus, who wants to sort through all those convoluted schedules?

Here are seven flicks to catch at South by Southwest 2024.

I Saw the TV Glow, Texas Premiere

A lesbian meets an ace-coded telephile and together they watch horrific television.

No, not you and your bestie, it’s the latest horror venture from film titan A24. I Saw The TV Glow plays with the rising popularity of 80s nostalgia aesthetics and deep horror A freaky original from Jane Schoenbrun, the film is reminiscent of spooky television-based flicks like The Ring and Poltergeist and DCOMs like Don’t Look Under The Bed, with a darker existential twist.

100 min

Paramount Theatre

Mar 10, 2024 6:15pm

Omni LoopWorld Premiere

If Groundhog Day and Everything Everywhere All at Once had a baby that scrolled past Gloria Bell’s Instagram and decided a change must come now.

After reliving the same day over and over, Zoya (Mary-Louise Parker) decides to solve time travel to (hopefully) fix the literal black hole growing inside her and reclaim her power. Featuring 2023’s breakout star Ayo Edebiri as Paula as the university assistant who assists Zoya on her search for answers, Omni Loop offers purpose in a hopeless world. 

107 min

Stateside Theatre

Mar 13, 11:00am

ZACH Theatre

Mar 14, 2024, 5:45pm

How Music Got Free, World Premiere

Limewire would be nothing without you, Mr. Dell Glover. 

Before the days of Spotify and Soundcloud, there were CDs; but what came betwixt those two eras in music distribution? Narrated by Method Man with interviews from Eminem, 50 Cent, Rocsi Diaz and Timbaland, this documentary unravels the history of music piracy with the man who started it all. While SZA and Ariana are pissed with the results, the music industry was revolutionized by the actions of people like Dell Glover. 

81 min

Stateside Theatre

Mar 9. 2024, 9:00pm

Stateside Theatre

Mar 14. 2024, 5:30pm

Backspot, International Premiere

Not your mama’s Bring It On.

While we (should!) all know that cheerleading is much more than shouting nursery rhymes and vertically spinning on the ground, this film takes it to another level. Produced by Elliot Page, this intense drama unravels the world of competitive cheerleading with Riley (Devery Jacobs). Riley’s relationship with Amanda (Kudakwashe Rutendo) and her chances at being on the All Star team are tested by her paralyzing anxiety. Can she bring it?

Violet Crown Cinema

Mar 8, 2024, 2:15pm

Violet Crown Cinema

Mar 8, 2024 2:45pm 

Violet Crown Cinema

Mar 9, 2024 9:45pm

Violet Crown Cinema 

Mar 9, 2024 10:15pm

Violet Crown Cinema

Mar 11, 2024 11:00am

Violet Crown Cinema

Mar 11, 2024 11:30am

Black TwitterWorld Premiere

American Culture and Politics, (Not) For Us (But) By Us.

In a Post-Ziwe world, everyone should be aware of the grand influence Black people have on our culture. As with most things, we have Black people to thank for some of the popular moments touchstone phrases of the platform “formerly-known-as-Twitter.” Based on Jason Parham’s Wired article “A People’s History of Black Twitter,” Black Twitter promises to recount some of the biggest moments on the internet in this three-part Hulu mini-series.

94 min

Stateside Theatre

Mar 8. 2024, 8:45pm

Narrative Short Program 3 

An audition gone awry, troubled parents fictionalizing their own divorce, and phone sex English lessons.

This block of shorts covers the full scope of human emotions. If I Die in America follows a gay man as he selfishly(?) withholds his deceased husband’s body to his Muslim family in Kuwait. The Sundance Jury Winner Say Hi After You Die proves that you cannot flush the love between two besties down the drain. All that and more in under 20 minutes!

105 min

Rollins Theatre at The Long Center

Mar 9, 2024 6:00pm

Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar

Mar 12, 2024 12:15pm

A House is Not a Disco, World Premiere

Part horny historiography of queer culture, part climate crisis call to action.

This documentary chronicles a year “the world’s most iconic homo-normative community.” The Fire Island Pines are notorious for being sexpot queer beach town, but its queer residents are as interesting as the sand is white. This documentary that not only highlights the beauty of the island and its impending demise due to rising tides

90 min

Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar 

Mar 8, 2024 3:45pm

Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar 

Mar 10, 20243:30pm—5:00pm

Satellite Venue: AFS Cinema

Mar 14, 2024 9:00pm

Catch these at SXSW 2024.