A woman with brown skin, dark hair and a pink headband stands in front of a grey wall, with A-shaped markings in it. She's smiling into a camera stand from which the silhouette of an iPhone can be seen; the ring of the stand glows yellow, presumably casting light on her as the phone's camera captures her in shot.
Illustration by Sheila Tuttle, University of Minnesota

Why Content Creators like xoxo, Akouto are Necessary Online

Akouto Von brings a new perspective to YouTube content, offering a sense of vulnerability not often found in newer creators.

As much as parasociality online is a problem, xoxo, Akouto offers a uniquely authentic perspective about life and online content creation.  

With 54.9K subscribers and growing, the creator xoxo, Akouto, or Akouto Von, has made the rounds on YouTube for her most-viewed video: “I’m a 33 year old woman with no life. (my advice to young women).” Since receiving over 2 million views on the video from October 2023, her content has been an unopened and practically unexplored compendium of very vulnerable and valuable videos. 

Von’s content revolves around her struggles as an adult woman, discussing her insecurities as a single, unemployed, Black woman living in Los Angeles. Casually crafted and coordinated like a conversation, she records videos discussing her day-to-day struggles, before flipping her struggles and insecurities on a positive note. Uncovering her most viral video, viewers can see a timeline of Von becoming more accustomed to sharing her struggles, using her problems as a point of optimism and opportunity for change. 

Her most viewed video “I’m a 33 year old woman with no life. (my advice to young women)” is focused on her story on how she became a “woman with no life.” She discusses her divorce at 30-years-old, her struggles as an actress, and living alone in Los Angeles. She describes that, at 33-years-old, she is not even really sure what she wants anymore given that the life she has is not the life she planned for. “I am 33, no job, no family, living off of unemployment,” Von said in the viral video. “I could barely make ends meet – thank goodness I don’t have any children. I only have my cat to take care of” (7:06-7:18).

Reading the comments, it is incredibly clear that Von’s experiences after college echo the experiences of so many young people. With a university education, people plan a life pursuing their hobbies, raising a small family and stability overall. But Von, even apart from her viral video, discusses the reality of so many young people. “I’m struggling emotionally, mentally,” Von said. “I just can’t seem to get my life together. So I’m hoping that trying to create content for YouTube and trying to put my story out there will resonate with some people that are probably feeling the same way I’m feeling”. She describes having to depend on unemployment as she struggles to find a stable career in journalism or acting, as well as starting to date again after the end of her five year marriage. 

Apart from her vulnerabilities and failures throughout her life, Von describes in depth how YouTube has changed in her life financially and emotionally. She describes that she has been able to spend more time with her friends, and discussed that she was able to spend more money on Christmas gifts for her family since her virality on YouTube. After struggling to find a stable job in Los Angeles since graduating from college, her success on YouTube pivoted her so that she can apply her video-editing skills and develop an independent career of her own. 

Five months after the viral video, Von opened up about how much money she made, saying for the 2.1 million views she received, she made $9,688.39 in a video titled “This is EXACTLY how much Youtube paid me for 2.1 million views.” Her optimism in terms of both her struggles and success make her far more down-to-earth than most current creators on YouTube. Her struggles are something we can sympathize with, but her success is something we can support. 

She continues to make content, exploring her story and chances to improve her life. Her content is optimistic and uplifting, making videos like “32 things I want in a man” and vlogs about passing thoughts like “I am done with the fear of dressing up and looking cute | Daily Thought #6 03/29.” As much as we are observers of her life, Von takes us as passengers of her life and the positive changes she has made for herself online and in her private life. 

What inspired my most recent content mostly had to do with what my audience asked for,” Von said. “As a content creator, I get asked the same question over and over again in the comments which I love. Sometimes, that inspires me to make the videos.”

Von is bringing back what people call “vintage YouTube,” sharing her life in an incredibly healthy and balanced fashion. “People seem to crave the OG youtube days where people just shot videos in their bedrooms and not in huge studio lots,” Von said in an interview with Study Breaks. “People want more relatability from YouTubers. My video reminded people of the old days. Everyone is struggling so much in the world and watching me helps them not feel so alone and that will always be one of my biggest accomplishments.” 

Her content, though vulnerable, isn’t overbearing and is constructive rather than self-deprecating . The audience sees so much of her life but from an outsider’s perspective and it never feels like they are supposed to feel sorry for her, but more so encouraged and uplifted by her story. 

Even as a now 34-year-old woman, Von’s perception of herself, her career, and her life as a young woman is a perspective students and people in general should consider. Though our life may not turn out the way we planned and we may be in a different place after college than we would have wanted, there is nothing wrong in revising plans and changing goals.

I am vulnerable with my struggle and success because I want people to know that you can work really hard and change your life no matter where you are or how you start,” Von said. 

“Sharing my online success is valuable because people need to know what it’s really like to make money from YouTube. I wanted everyone to see that not all of us can be Mr. Beast or Emma Chamberlain and make millions of dollars all the time, especially if you’re just starting out.” 

Wherever we may be at 18, 20, 24, or even 34-years-old, there is always the chance for life to change, whether we like it or not. As students, as people, as parents, as employees, we should use our life as an opportunity for exploration as to what we really want out of ourselves. What is the best for us for our future? What is the best for us in the present? 

As a creator for us to look to, Von reminds us to make deliberate choices and, of course, to remain optimistic when plans don’t always pan out.

Cerasela Hanseter, University of California, Berkeley

Contributing Writer

Cerasela Hanseter

University of California, Berkeley

"Hi, I'm Cerasela (CHAIR-a-SELL-a), and I am an English major at UC Berkeley! I am studying the prerequisites for medical school as well, but in my free time I like exercising, meeting cats, and writing."