Someone taking a picture of their young child.
Illustrated by Gabriella Peabody, Butler University

Ruby Franke, 8 Passengers and Perilous Family Vlogging

What started as a fun and parasocial trend now falls to the hands of the legal system.

Every day, people have the opportunity to earn income through their phones. Family vlogging on YouTube and TikTok is a modern phenomenon where mothers, fathers and children can build comforting parasocial relationships with YouTubers that share the same goals and challenges. Unfortunately, family vlogging comes with a price that many parents are willing to take: TikTok vlogging is a feast for pedophiles and predators. 

The predators are sometimes the parents themselves. TikTok moms often exploit their families for views and transform into stage moms aspiring for power. However, vlogging doesn’t allude to merely recording a few minutes of someone’s meal or vacation at Disney. Family vloggers spend hours recording (probably having multiple takes) and preparing content. 

These excessive work hours also perpetuate the abuse that children tolerate for their parent’s happiness. Before being arrested after someone found her child wandering with taped feet and hands, Ruby Franke had one of the most popular family channels, 8 Passengers. Franke publicly broadcasted the punishment of her children and boasted about depriving them of their beds or food. Before her arrest, viewers of 8 Passengers made an online petition with thousands of signatures that initiated a child protection services visit in 2020. This inquiry led to no further investigations or arrests due to insufficient substantial evidence

However, authorities ultimately arrested Franke in December 2023 with Franke  pleading guilty to child abuse. Shari Franke, the family’s eldest daughter, responded to this arrest by sharing “Finally” on Instagram. 

This year, on March 22nd, investigators released Franke’s journals and other evidence in the trial. TikTok users were angered at the religious extremism infiltrating the family and the disclosure that Franke believed the devil possessed her children. 

Parents also become predators for allowing sick individuals to consume their children as content. Jacqueline Eleanor is one of many TikTok moms accused of preying on their children. Eleanor showcases her four-year-old, Wren, in inappropriate thumbnails and interactions. Those who stumble upon her videos encounter uncomfortable situations like when the toddler tells her mother that she wants a “sucker” rather than calling it a lollipop. Although Eleanor is willing to designate her baby as a brand and influencer on a designated account, Eleanor’s own social media accounts, like Instagram, remain private. 

TikTok users point out the concerning number of “saves” on videos where Eleanor’s daughter is wearing revealing clothing or eating a hot dog. The hashtag #savewren is trending, and many users have rallied to report her account. They have mentioned that these videos endanger the toddler even outside online platforms. Unfortunately, she is likely not the only baby being exploited for views and money.

A few moms on social media have declared they don’t want to put their babies or families on the TikTok platform. Mama C, a popular TikTok mom who now only posts food content, has mentioned that she will never post her kids’ faces on the platform. 

Thankfully, just this past year, many new laws regarding children’s safety on social media have been created. Illinois passed a law guaranteeing financial compensation for minors working online. California, Maryland, and Pennsylvania are also introducing bills regarding online child labor this year. These laws and bills are necessary as children become user-generated content. Unfortunately, it might be too late for many child influencers like Franke’s children, who will reconstruct their lives safely away from their abuser.

Family vlogging can be treacherous even if seen as a game, but many parents disregard the risks and push their children to the limit for money. If protection laws don’t occur, what will happen to growing children, teenagers and then adults as they realize their faces are plastered on phones permanently for everyone’s scrutiny?

Mariana Vaca, Lake Forest College

Contributing Writer

Mariana Vaca

Lake Forest College

English (Creative Writing)

"Mariana Vaca is an English major at Lake Forest College. She is devoted to education, literature, animation, and diversity. She also loves her dog and family!"