In an article about 'Gilmore Girls,' Rory strolls down a path beneath a canopy of trees and holds her books to her chest.
Illustration by Delilah Jaros, Montserrat College of Art

“It’s a Lifestyle. It’s a Religion”: The Timelessness of ‘Gilmore Girls’

The series came out over 20 years ago. Why is it still relevant?

Fall approaches. In the near future, the leaves will transform into rich maroons and opulent oranges. Flocks will rest on telephone poles on their journey south. The ivy will flower yellow-green. As Miss Patty once pointed out, “It’s times like these that you realize what is truly important in your life.” For some, fall means things like family and friends. For others, this time of year signals something just as essential: the annual “Gilmore Girls” rewatch. 

Adored for its cozy aesthetic and warm effervescence, the 2000 television series averaged 5 million viewers per episode over the course of its seven seasons. In 2022, “Gilmore Girls” was the ninth most-watched series across all streaming platforms. Despite the fact that the show stopped airing over 15 years ago, it has managed to maintain its popularity, even among younger generations. Those unfamiliar with the series must wonder: What makes it so appealing?

The answer is difficult to pinpoint. Could it be the progressive female protagonists? The pop culture references? Perhaps the quintessential slow-burn romances? There are endless explanations for the show’s success. However, a seemingly obvious yet wholly more complex element of the series’ staying power is its thorough depiction of life in a picturesque northeastern small town.

The show’s depiction of small-town life strikes a chord with viewers who hail from similar roots — especially given television’s historical preference for portrayals of city life. Even those who have never lived in rural or suburban neighborhoods can delight in what “Gilmore Girls” has to offer. The series’ small-town safety casts a cloak over urban viewers, allowing them to escape the everyday bustle of city life. When they press play, these viewers trade in bright lights and loud noises for a simple and slow lifestyle unhurried by urban demands. They’re not in the city anymore. They’re sipping coffee in Luke’s Diner over breakfast. Such is the charm and tranquility of Stars Hollow

The quaint and cute storybook town portrays an authentic small-town ambience that many long for. Stars Hollow evokes an inviting and whimsical atmosphere and lifestyle, which allows viewers to immerse themselves in the comfort of the calm and cozy Connecticut town. “Gilmore Girls” takes great pains to accurately illustrate the essential features of small-town life: regular local events, peculiar traditions and the impenetrable bonds of a close-knit community. These traits foster a sense of nostalgia among urban and rural viewers alike. The allure of a provincial life — at least one lived in the mystical Stars Hollow — transcends demographics.

Star Hollow’s charm rests in part on a bevy of relatable characters. Though these figures may seem specific to small-town life, they actually span a range of complex identities. The gamut of personalities and dispositions on display represents all audience members. Surely, every viewer can find a part of themself in one, if not multiple, of the town locals. Noticeably, each resident is eccentric in their own way. Taylor is high-strung, Luke is notoriously always on his last nerve and Kirk is, well, Kirk. The characters’ idiosyncrasies allow viewers to get a glimpse of a life where everyone knows everyone, and one person’s business is suddenly everyone’s concern. Only a small town like Stars Hollow could cultivate a mixture of so many unconventional personalities. However jolting the combination of idiosyncrasies may be, it only adds to the endearing nature of the show and its characters.    

The lead actresses, Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel, play a particularly bonded mother-daughter duo. The pairing is so lovable that viewers have either mirrored the relationship in their own lives or yearned for one just like it. The classic and enviable mother-daughter friendship between Lorelai and Rory exemplifies a connection that small-town living notably cultivates — a closeness that all viewers can achieve once they tune in to “Gilmore Girls.”

Community is one of Stars Hollow’s most fundamental values. Therefore, interpersonal relationships and the sense of belonging they cultivate form the heart of the show. The bonds between each of the characters add deep meaning to the show’s storylines and supply a steady stream of humor through all seven seasons. 

Ultimately, Stars Hollow is singular in that the town embodies a widely-held desire for a simpler time. Forget the phones, laptops and iPads. The Gilmores’ town remains seemingly free of all the technology that burdens the modern world with deadlines and never-ending rush. Stars Hollow lies in that sweet spot between antiquated times and modern luxuries. Here, you can have a cup of fresh, affordable and delicious coffee before attending school, but you have to walk to the local diner to enjoy it. You can go to your job at the town inn during the day and find solace in the knowledge that your work there won’t follow you home. This kind of nostalgia evokes comfort and a craving for a less complicated way of life. For today’s younger generations, a world without technology represents a world of relative peace and untethered living. 

While many factors are responsible for the enduring appeal of “Gilmore Girls,” the series’ genuine portrayal of small-town life takes the cake. From quirky residents to community values, Stars Hollow’s likeness to an actual small town resonates with individuals from the suburbs as much as it does with those raised in a city. “Gilmore Girls” transports all viewers, regardless of age or upbringing, to an idealistic nook of a town where the coffee is consistently hot, the sarcasm is never short and everyone is always welcome.  

Sarah Deavers, University of Virginia

Sarah Deavers

University of Virginia
Media Studies

1. A motivating discusѕion is dеfinitely worth comment.
    I do bеlіve tһat you ought to write more about this suƄject matter, it may not be a taboⲟ sᥙbject but generally people do
    not talk about such issᥙes. To the next! All the best!!