In an article about fantastic television episodes, Pam stares at Jim in utter disbelief and discomfort as Michael and Jan trade veiled insults across the dinner table.

Five Fantastic Television Episodes

These small screen masterpieces transcend their shows.

A television show’s quality does not hinge on a standout episode. However, a lightning bolt of inspiration occasionally strikes television writers, generating exceptionally outstanding episodes that transcend their shows. Such masterful episodes of television stand on their own merits and captivate a wide array of audience members — even viewers who are unfamiliar with the shows themselves. These five extraordinary television episodes accomplish this incredibly difficult feat.

1. “Noël” — “The West Wing” (2000)

The West Wing” boasted wonderful acting and writing throughout its run — especially the first four seasons, which featured writer Aaron Sorkin at the helm. However, this American political drama rarely presented a plot as fascinating and singular as the one in the second season episode “Noël.”  

Typically, “West Wing” capitalized on its fantastic ensemble cast to weave multiple storylines into an action-packed, 45-minute episode at the White House. “Noël,” by contrast, features one character, deputy chief of staff Josh Lyman (played by Bradley Whitford), over an extended period of time. The episode’s elegant plot structure elevates it above other “West Wing” classics. 

The episode centers around a meeting between Josh and a psychotherapist from ATVA named Stanley Keyworth (played by Adam Arkin). Worried about his recent erratic behavior, Josh’s colleagues set up the meeting to figure out what is triggering his behavioral episodes. The mystery surrounding what caused Josh’s trauma and the cut on his hand builds steadily. The storyline’s eventual conclusion is excellent, combining the various thematic motifs that the director strategically placed throughout the episode.

An excellent portrayal of trauma victims, “Noël” excels in both plot and musical motifs. Notable for its exceptional scene involving actor John Spencer as the chief of staff, Leo McGary, and its brilliant incorporation of a guest appearance from cellist Yo-Yo Ma, this episode is remarkable.

2. “Blink” — “Doctor Who” (2007)

The British science fiction show “Doctor Who” has often been inconsistent in quality throughout its run. The episode “Blink” from the third season, however, is the show at its absolute best. 

The time-traveling Doctor (played by David Tennant) appears very little in “Blink”; instead, the episode focuses on the exploits of young Sally Sparrow (played by Carey Mulligan). Sally’s journey begins when she explores an abandoned house and uncovers a bit of wallpaper to reveal a message: “Beware of the Weeping Angels.” As she continues to peel back the wallpaper, Sally finds that the message continues: “Duck, Sally Sparrow. Love from the Doctor, 1969.” Because the show is set in London during the 2000s, the message becomes even stranger. 

Who are the Weeping Angels? And how does someone from 1969 know Sally’s name? 

All is revealed in a fast-paced 45 minutes of television. The Weeping Angels remain the greatest villains to ever appear on “Doctor Who.” Moreover, the Doctor’s brief cameo amounts to the best scene of the show’s entire run. The episode’s plot is so elegantly constructed that it lends itself to multiple rewatches. 

Even if you don’t tend to like science fiction (like me), this episode is absolutely worth watching. Statues will never seem the same to you again.

3. “Dinner Party” — “The Office” (2008)

The mockumentary style of the American sitcom “The Office” has given rise to many great episodes. None, however, are as acclaimed as this season four episode. “Dinner Party” is unusual in that it features only some of the great ensemble cast for which the show is famous. Its more acute focus on certain characters in a setting other than the office leads to a thoroughly chaotic episode. No other episode is as gloriously cringeworthy

Incompetent head boss Michael Scott (played by Steve Carell) hosts a six person dinner party with his controlling girlfriend Jan Levinson (played by Melora Hardin) at their condo. Guests include the darling couple of the office, Jim Halpert (played by John Krasinski) and Pam Beesly (played by Jenna Fischer), and the unusual couple of the overly excitable Andy Bernard (played by Ed Helms) and the demure Angela Martin (played by Angela Kinsey). Jim and Pam manage to avoid the dinner for weeks, but Michael eventually tricks them into accepting his invitation. Their reluctance proves absolutely understandable.

This episode portrays the worst kind of dinner party: office colleagues who do not get along must suffer through an evening that becomes increasingly uncomfortable. The audience latches onto Jim and Pam’s normal viewpoints as the pair come into contact with the outlandish dealings of their colleagues. There is no better example than “Dinner Party” of just how relatable Jim and Pam are. This connection allows the audience to sympathize with the duo for the episode’s duration.

As the normalcy of Jim and Pam collides with the increasing bizarreness of the other dinner guests, the episode escalates into a fantastic display of just how unsettling dinner parties can become.

4. “Remedial Chaos Theory” — “Community” (2011)

The American sitcom “Community” focuses on the bizarre exploits of a study group at a community college. As the show progressed, the writers grew more and more adventurous in their conception of what sitcom plots could do. The episode “Remedial Chaos Theory” from the series’ third season contains a perfect balance of strangeness and plot structure (something that definitely waned in later seasons).

This episode features a housewarming party for the nerdy duo Abed (played by Danny Pudi) and Troy (played by Donald Glover). The episode’s key concept emerges when cool group leader Jeff (played by Joel McHale) throws up a dice to see who has to go downstairs to pick up the pizza. Jeff and Abed’s science-fiction-inspired dialogue sets up the episode:

Jeff: Okay. Starting on my left with one, your number comes up you go.

Abed: Just so you know, Jeff, you are now creating six different timelines.

Jeff (sarcastic): Of course I am, Abed. 

The show then carries out Abed’s theory, exploring what happens in each separate timeline as every person is forced to get the pizza (except for Jeff, who cleverly devises a system in which he will never have to go). The ensuing events in each timeline form the basis of this masterpiece of 21st-century television. 

5. “Fishes” — “The Bear” (2023)

Although “The Bear” is a new show, its excellent episode titled “Fishes” seems to represent the series at its best. “The Bear” follows the life of a young chef named Carmen Berzatto, who inherits his deceased brother’s Chicago sandwich shop and decides to overcome past family trauma. The show’s strength lies in its ability to develop the relationships among its ensemble cast. 

“Fishes” uncovers the roots of Carmen’s trauma and takes place at his parents’ house five years before the events of the first season begin. He returns home from overseas to celebrate Christmas with his family; the famous Italian-American tradition, the Feast of the Seven Fishes, provides the episode title. 

“Fishes” presents a turbulent hour of television that, with many close camera angles and loud screams, paints the portrait of a deeply troubled family. Jamie Lee Curtis gives a magnificent performance as Carmen’s mother, Donna Berzatto, who suffers from bipolar disorder. As each of Carmen’s siblings tries to ease Donna’s mind and familial conflict intensifies, the episode sears into its viewers’s eyes the totality of the family’s dysfunction. Great writing and acting allow this molten hot episode to perhaps leave its audience members with better feelings about their own family strife

Hopefully, these five small screen masterpieces will add greater pleasure to your television viewing.