summer movies
summer movies

5 Summer Blockbusters That Will Have You Rolling in Nostalgia

Use them as motivation to help you get through finals.

If you’re in college, right now stress levels are probably at an all-time high and motivation is at an all-time low. Finals week is rapidly approaching and the future seems bleak for undergrads across the country. You’re probably spending all your free time hibernating in the library sleeping, just so you can get up and start studying again with as little interruption as possible.

Fortunately, though, with summer break on the horizon of this dreaded week, Hollywood is preparing to release a ton of summer movies all vying to be the next summer blockbuster. There are dozens of must-see summer movies gracing the theaters in the next few months, but here are the five that look the most promising.

1. “Won’t You Be My Neighbor”

Set for release on June 8, “Won’t You Be My Neighbor” is directed by Morgan Neville and explores the life of the beloved Fred Rogers. Fred Rogers, better known as Mr. Rogers, hosted the PBS show “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood,” which ran from 1968 until 2001.

He is often referred to as “America’s favorite neighbor,” as he provided a special kinship to his audience through a television screen. His impact spanned generations and many grew up finding comfort in the show and the morals he promoted.

The film will take the form of a documentary and seeks to go behind the scenes of the television show Rogers hosted for over 30 years. It will provide insight into his personal life and the creation of the television.

For instance, you probably were unaware that prior to the premiere of the television show, Rogers was planning to enter the seminary. Most college students now are the last generation to have grown up on the teachings of Mr. Rogers, so this is definitely a film you should make sure to see.

2. “Incredibles 2”

Following the popular trend of movies such as “Finding Dory,” a sequel that came 13 years after the first film’s release, “Incredibles 2” will be released 14 years after the initial film. On Jan. 15, the film, directed by Brad Bird, an animated adventure movie, will most definitely spark childhood nostalgia from college students.

“The Incredibles” told the story of a family of five superheroes who used their unique superpowers to protect and secure the world. Somehow, though, the film will pick up with Jack-Jack still being an infant.

However, Helen, the mother of the family, will be at the center of the film, working to save the world while her husband stays at home to provide childcare for their three kids, marking a complete 180 from the first movie. It is an accurate depiction of the altered gender roles that have evolved in the time that’s passed between the release of the two movies.

3. “Eighth Grade”

Don’t let “Eighth Grade” slip off your radar this summer. The film, which was directed and written by Bo Burnham, a well-known comedian who began his career as a YouTuber, captures all the awkwardness that is middle school. The movie, though only Burnham’s first attempt at feature filmmaking, premiered at the Sundance Film Festival earlier this year and is set to release on July 13.

The protagonist, Kayla, finds herself in the last few days of her eighth-grade year where she is an incredibly awkward and lonely student. She spends much of her free time making YouTube videos to cope with the desolation she feels. On her YouTube channel she works to be an inspiration to others by promoting confidence, but this is juxtaposed by her alienated reality.

Peter Debruge, a critic from Variety said, “As an accomplished comedian, Burnham has already put in his 10,000 hours, honing what he has to say for nearly a dozen years, and as such, ‘Eighth Grade’ shines as [a] portrait of Millennial angst and stuff.”

The film is an accurate depiction of adolescence and the awkwardness that entails, and though it is directed by a newcomer in this realm, it is definitely one not to miss.

4. “Solo: A Star Wars Story”

“Solo: A Star Wars Story” is the next film in the Star Wars franchise. Centered around the character of Han Solo, the movie will be released earlier this summer on May 25.

The film takes place a great deal of time before Han Solo joins the Rebellion. In fact, the movie will showcase when Han Solo, played by actor Alden Ehrenreich, meets Chewbacca for the first time; it aims to document Solo’s earlier life. The film is already set to be followed by two sequels.

While there isn’t a whole lot of information regarding the movie, it is a part of one of the strongest movie franchises in history, so this will be a surefire blockbuster.

5. “Ocean’s 8”

A spin-off of Steven Soderbergh’s “The Ocean’s Trilogy,” “Ocean’s 8” will star a primarily female cast. Directed by Gary Ross, who also directed the famous movie “The Hunger Games,” the film will center on Sandra Bullock’s character, Debbie Ocean, who is the sister of Danny Ocean in “The Ocean’s Trilogy.” Hollywood starlets including Cate Blanchett, Anne Hathaway, Mindy Kaling and Rihanna will fill out the bombshell cast. The film is sure to exude girl power and empower its female audiences.

Set in New York City, the film follows the story of Debbie Ocean who wants to pull off the biggest heist ever during the Met Gala. In order to do so, she collects a team of strong women, who also happen to be criminals. The goal of the heist is to retrieve a necklace that has a net worth of $150 million.

“It’s a parallel story of another family member that was raised in the same family Danny Ocean was and what happens when Debbie steps out of jail with all of these amazing, powerful women,” Bullock told Entertainment Weekly.

“Ocean’s 8” will premiere on June 8 and will most definitely be a fantastic film with its star-studded cast and action-packed plot.

Katie Lommen, Saint Louis University

Katie Lommen

Saint Louis University
Communication and Psychology