summer movies

Top Action Movies of 2018 You Need to See This Summer

Lights, camera, action...and more action?

For years, action films have dominated the movie industry during the summer. With a number of films expected to release in the next few months, action/adventure films leave no room for other genres to slip through the cracks — the comedy, family and romantic genres simply do not stand a chance.

So does it really come as a shock to anyone that action films take front seat?

Nowadays, the world of fast cars, superheroes, adventure and quests have taken over the big screen. 2018 will be slightly different, though, with most upcoming releases either reboots, sequels or both.

Keeping up with all the new films may seem hard, but this is where I come in. Here is a list of nine highly-anticipated movies to expect this summer.

“Deadpool 2” (May 18)

The raunchy, alternative superhero fans love so much returns in the second installment. “Deadpool 2,” directed by David Leitch, will feature Deadpool battling it out against ninjas, the yakuza and apparently some sexually aggressive canines in his adventure.

As with the first film, expect the unexpected.

Movie(s) to watch beforehand:“Deadpool” (2016)

“Solo: A Star Wars Story” (May 25)

Solo,” a film expected to do just as well as its recent three predecessors, has gripped fans with excitement. The film, starring Alden Ehrenreich, Emilia Clarke and Donald Glover, recounts the history behind Han Solo’s numerous adventures, including meeting Chewbacca and Lando Calrissian.

The film will be a separate story from the sequel trilogy, taking the crown in the top five expected summer blockbusters.

Movie(s) to watch beforehand: “Star Wars” films

“Ocean’s 8” (June 8)

With an all-star female cast, “Ocean’s 8,” a spin-off of the “Ocean’s Eleven” film franchise, has audiences everywhere fired up.

The starring cast consisting of Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett, Anne Hathaway, Mindy Kaling, Sarah Paulson, Rihanna and more take the spotlight from their male counterparts as their characters plan to pull off a heist at the Annual Met Gala.

Ocean’s 8 is a must-see for fans wishing for a more female-centric cast.

Movie(s) to watch beforehand: “Ocean’s Eleven” films.

“The Incredibles 2” (June 15)

Audiences know that when Pixar releases a new film, they can expect high-quality animation, immersive storylines and memorable characters.

With an assortment of fans of all ages racing to see the long-awaited film, “The Incredibles 2” is expected to dominate the box office. The sequel will finally be released 14 years after the original, with Disney having wanted to ensure that the plot and animation would live up, or even surpass, the beloved first film.

From the trailer released so far, it seems as if the sequel will have a different spin from its predecessor, with Elastigirl placed front and center of the action while Mr. Incredible faces his biggest challenge yet — taking care of the children.

The plot’s focus on Elastigirl is the epitome of modern-day women and will have fans eagerly lining up for theater tickets. With the same cast, writer and director as before, “The Incredibles 2” already takes a seat in the history books.

Movie(s) to watch beforehand: “The Incredibles” (2004)

“Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” (June 22)

The past few years have been all about sequels, and the “Jurassic Park” franchise is no exception, with the upcoming release of “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

Taking place four years after the events of the previous film, “Fallen Kingdom” features characters Owen Grady (Chris Pratt) and Claire Dearing (Bryce Dallas Howard) returning to the island to save the pre-historic creatures from an erupting volcano.

With enhanced CGI, “Fallen Kingdom” will take the place as the most realistic dinosaur film to date.

Movie(s) to watch beforehand: “Jurassic World” (2015)

“The First Purge” (July 4) 

“The Purge” series has both captivated and horrified audiences with its imaginative and all-too-possible storyline. Previously named “The Purge: The Island,” the prequel will explore the beginning of the purge.

The trailer of the dystopian action thriller begins with the question, “What makes America great?” — which may insinuate how current presidential holdings may have started the purge. The poster for the film displays a red cap with the words, “the first purge.”

The movie’s political themes will have audiences talking about it for quite some time, with the release date set for the Fourth of July.

Movie(s) to watch beforehand:“The Purge” films

“Ant-Man and The Wasp” (July 6)

Taking place in San Francisco, “Ant-Man and The Wasp” centers around Ant-Man (Paul Rudd) joining forces with The Wasp (Evangeline Lily) to uncover secrets from their past.

The superhero with shrinking abilities shows his strength once more in the sequel, where he struggles finding a balance between his responsibilities as a superhero and a father.

Movie(s) to watch beforehand:“Ant-Man” (2015).

“The Equalizer 2” (July 20)

The Equalizer 2” will release four years after the first film, which was adapted from the ‘80s TV series of the same name. The plot to the sequel remains unknown, but it will again follow Robert McCall (Denzel Washington), a retired agent-turned vigilante.

With its original release of Aug. 3 having been pushed up, fans have already expressed their excitement through fanmade trailers.

Movie(s) to watch beforehand:“The Equalizer” (2014) and “The Equalizer” (1985-1989)

“Mission: Impossible – Fallout” (July 27)

The “Mission: Impossible” series has an exceptional record, dating back to the first film released in 1996, with Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) back for another seemingly impossible mission. The sixth addition to the popular series follows Hunt and his team in a race against time when a mission goes wrong.

Mission: Impossible – Fallout” will also feature some known stars such as Henry Cavill, Rebecca Ferguson, Ving Rhames, Alec Baldwin and several more in a series that, apart from the “James Bond” films, may have revitalized the action/adventure genre.

Movie(s) to watch beforehand:“Mission: Impossible” films.

Sema’Jay Hall, San Francisco State University

Sema'Jay Hall

San Francisco State University