In an article about "Elf" 20 year anniversary, a man with orange hair and green coat and yellow stockings places a glowing yellow star with the number "20" on it" atop a green Christmas tree with red ornaments and bright yellow lights.
Illustration by Mara Preciado, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Opispo

Son of a Nutcracker! “Elf” Celebrates 20 Years of Holiday Cheer

2023 marks the 20th anniversary of Will Ferrell as Buddy the Elf.

For 20 years, Will Ferrell has graced our screens with his joyful performance of Buddy the Elf. Anyone who has seen the movie will tell you it is a delight for all ages. Chock full of quotable lines and memorable performances from the whole cast, it is obvious why “Elf” remains a staple in the holiday film lineup even in 2023.

On the off chance you’ve missed this delight, here’s a quick recap of Jon Favreau’s “Elf.” (You can currently stream it on Max or rent it on Amazon Prime and Apple TV if you’re in need of some Christmas cheer.) “Elf” is a heartwarming Christmas comedy that follows Buddy, a human who was raised by elves at the North Pole. Upon discovering his true identity as a human, Buddy travels to New York City to find his biological father, a workaholic in need of some holiday spirit after ending up on Santa’s naughty list. As Buddy spreads cheer and embraces his elfin roots in the big city through a series of well-intentioned mishaps, he helps his new-found family and friends rediscover the joy of Christmas. 

When “Elf” premiered in 2003, it grossed a whopping $220 million, making it one of the most successful Christmas movies of all time. Despite creative differences between star Will Ferrell and Favreau, the director, the movie became a mega success with DVD sales in the early 2000s and years following.

One aspect of the film that audiences old and young love so much is Buddy the Elf’s innocent, but lovable antics. Because Buddy grew up among elves, he has skills, abilities, and wants that are abnormal to the everyday 30-year-old man. An affinity for sweets is just one of these irregularities, giving us instant classic ideas like an elf’s “four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corn, and syrup.” These sound like a child’s dream breakfast and an adult’s guilty pleasure treat, which is pretty much how the whole film plays out. 

Few holiday comedy films bring joy to a whole range of audiences quite like “Elf.” Even classics like “A Christmas Story” and “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” are more likely to divide audiences, some appealing to a more contemporary crowd while others prefer the more mature themes of something else. “It’s a Wonderful Life” ranks #1 on IMDb’s Top 100 Christmas Films of All Time (“Elf” cracks the top 10 at #9). Most films on the list were made in the 20th century, so “Elf” broke the mold when it was released to rave reviews in 2003. 

Holiday films have a unique ability to depict seasonal joy that transcends the screen. People enjoy escaping their everyday life into the world of a film and the holiday season gives them hope. Holiday films bring together that escapism and holiday cheer, usually highlighting community, nostalgia, and traditions. Bring in stars like Will Ferrell and Zooey Deschanel, and you have a masterpiece that still gets laughs 20 years later.

While “Elf” does have what would be considered more adult jokes, at the end of the day, Santa needs New York City to have more Christmas cheer, so he can deliver presents to all the children of the world. The film is ridiculous and gleeful, reminding adults of their child-like love of Christmas Time and showing child viewers that there is nothing wrong with wholeheartedly loving Christmas and sharing that with those around them.

In a time when everything is getting a reboot or a sequel, it is refreshing to see a film stand on its own and continue to be loved by its original audience and continue to gain fans. Will Ferrell turned down $29 million when offered the chance to do a sequel because he didn’t like the script and felt it wouldn’t be right. In fact, when he was first making the film, Ferrell was worried about the film being a flop. However, when they screen tested the film to a group of frat boys, they thought it was a riot, and Ferrell’s worries were appeased. 

Among holiday giants like “Miracle on 34th Street” and “Meet Me in St. Louis,” “Elf” hasn’t been pushed out of the conversation as a must-watch holiday film. In 2003, “Elf” proved to be a film for the ages. 

Even though streaming services come out with dozens of new holiday films every year, few seem to make a lasting impression on culture and audiences as “Elf.” 

Sophie Serage, University of Massachusetts, Boston

Contributing Writer

Sophie Serage

University of Massachusetts Boston

Professional Writing

"Sophie is a recent UMass Boston graduate trying to find the time and energy to read books for fun again (instead of for homework)."