the kardashians lined up against a dark backdrop

Here’s How Hulu Has Been Keeping Up With ‘The Kardashians’

Viewers are only one season into the new series and the drama is nonstop.

In April 2022, Hulu premiered the first season of “The Kardashians,” which consisted of 10 episodes gradually released over the course of several weeks. The season was chock-full of drama and updated audiences on the most recent developments in the Kardashian/Jenner family saga. The show follows the lives of Kim, Kourtney and Khloé Kardashian, as well as Kris, Kendall and Kylie Jenner.

Previously, the family appeared in “Keeping up with the Kardashians,” a show created by Ryan Seacrest that streamed on E! News Network from 2007 until 2021. The family also participated in and released a number of spin-offs throughout the years. Last year, they announced that “KUWTK” was coming to an end after 15 years on cable. It came as a shock to those who are in the loop and recognize the lasting impact the Kardashian/Jenner family has made on pop culture. Fans experienced a bit of a scare, fearing that they would no longer see the family on TV.  However, their fears were assuaged when the family announced that a new show would be available to stream on Hulu and Disney+.

The family has just returned from less than a year spent on hiatus and “The Kardashians” explores the professional, personal and familial challenges that the sisters have faced over the last couple of years. Several executive producers contribute to the final cuts, including Ryan Seacrest, who was also an executive producer for the Kardashians’ first show on E! Network. One of the biggest changes made between the old show and the new one is the control each one of the family members has in the editing room.  This time around, each sister is an executive producer and thus has power over how their life is portrayed and the narrative they wish to share with the public.

Hulu’s “The Kardashians” also features the ex-partners of the family, as well as a few guest stars. Some of the familiar faces include Travis Barker, Tristan Thompson and Scott Disick. A few of the guest stars include Kanye West, Amy Schumer and Gwyneth Paltrow.

While the series is only 10 episodes long, a number of events — including lots of drama — have finally been addressed. One of the biggest storylines explored this season has to do with Kim’s journey of self-discovery in the wake of her divorce from husband Kanye West. Throughout the episodes, Kim navigates her relationship with fashion within her personal and professional life. In a segment of the show, her clothing archive is revealed — just one more stop on her journey to discover “who she is.”

Some of the key highlights from this season include Kim’s “Saturday Night Live” debut, her photoshoot for the cover of Sports Illustrated and her photoshoots for the covers of American Vogue, a gig she managed to snatch from sister Kendall Jenner. More notably, the series shares the footage of Kim finding out she passed the bar exam. The biggest gossip, which is finally covered after a number of hints, is her new relationship with actor and comedian Pete Davidson.

As the show develops, the growing relationship between Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker culminates in an episode centering on his proposal and their engagement. Kourtney’s narrative focuses on their budding romance, the blending of their families and their journey to parenthood.

During the ninth episode, Kourtney’s brand and website Poosh builds a business alliance with Gwyneth Paltrow’s brand Goop. Together, the two women promote female empowerment while collaborating on a candle on behalf of both of their brands. Shockingly, the biggest drama unfolds at the very end of this episode and ripples into the final episode of the season.

Khloé’s storyline finds her working through a turbulent relationship with Tristan Thompson, who is a serial cheater. Viewers witness the exact moment a court deposition is leaked and retrieved by Kim. In the court documents, Tristan Thompson admits to cheating on Khloé and fathering another woman’s child. As the drama unravels, the family handles the scandal as a united front in support of Khloé.

One of the lighter subplots including Khloé is the final construction of her new house, which is situated right next to her mother Kris’ newly built home. It demonstrates the closeness of their relationship and the importance of the family values the Kardashian/Jenner household upholds. “The Kardashians” also shows Khloe’s close friendship with Kourtney’s ex, Scott Disick.

Many via social media have quickly noticed the lack of content revolving around the Jenner sisters, as no major events in their lives are portrayed. Though Kendall and Kylie interact with their family throughout the episodes, it appears the two of them are drama-free and simply seeking to support their other sisters.

With the Kardashian/Jenner family controlling the final product of each episode, many have commented on the lack of authenticity revolving around the reality series — if there ever was any, since it is reality TV. In fact, Khloé Kardashian was asked to respond to the backlash the family has received on an episode of “Hot Ones,” hosted by Sean Evans. He drew attention to a scene in the final episode that many, according to Glamour, think was faked.

“I can tell when some audio has been put in, if they need to, like, reshoot audio, or if, like a phone call is faked,” explained Khloé Kardashian. “It could be super minor, but I’m really aware of those things and I tend to notice all that stuff.”

Users on social media platforms such as TikTok and Twitter are the biggest offenders when it comes to micro-analyzing each snippet of the show. Many users make viral content that attracts more viewers to the show and draws more criticism to the Kardashian/Jenner family. Despite many years of facing backlash, the family’s reign on reality TV will continue. So far, “The Kardashians” has debuted a successful first season. In fact, Hulu announced that the series premiere was the most watched for their streaming service within three days of its release.

Though this controversial family will continue to be criticized and analyzed via social media, the second season is due to arrive. As confirmed by Variety, the next season will have even more drama in store for loyal viewers.

Ally Najera, California State University, Northridge

Editor

Ally Najera

California State University, Northridge
Broadcast Journalism, Minor in Marketing

I am currently studying broadcast journalism and minoring in marketing. I read religiously and love watching films. I am very passionate about words. I live and breathe pop culture – and love to share my thoughts.