in article about nick cannon, image of nick cannon, bri tiesi, and their newborn baby

Nick Cannon Needs To Be Stopped

With his 12th child on the way, the celebrity's actions make viewers question his authenticity as a father – and how he got to this point in the first place.

With his 12th child on the way, the celebrity’s actions make viewers question his authenticity as a father – and how he got to this point in the first place.

Born in the 1980s, Nick Cannon started his versatile career as a teen on the TV show “All That.” He then went on to become the host of his own show and continued his career by hosting “America’s Got Talent” and his very notable and popular show, “Wild ‘n Out.” Cannon is also currently a host on Fox’s “The Masked Singer.’ Between hosting popular game shows, the celebrity has acted in many popular Black films such as “Drumline” and “Love Don’t Cost a Thing.”

In 2020, Cannon graduated from Howard University with a degree in Criminology and a minor in Africana Studies. Given his position in the public eye, he experienced backlash due to comments he made about the Jewish community in the same year. He’s also known to have supported Kanye West during the 2020 presidential election.

Due to the controversy, Cannon was later fired by Viacom CBS. After this incident, he tried to educate himself on the matter and apologized for his words. He even made a donation to a Jewish human rights organization, the Simon Wiesenthal Center.

Baby Mamas

However, it’s not his career, or even his incendiary remarks that keep audiences focused on Cannon. It’s his paternal  background; Cannon has 12 children.

Relationship-wise, Cannon has been tied to famous stars such as Christina Milian, Kim Kardashian and Selita Ebanks.

After his time with these women, he went on to marry “All I Want for Christmas Is You” singer, Mariah Carey. The two were in a stable relationship for six years until the pair filed for divorce. The pair’s split was finalized in 2016, and Cannon left the marriage with his first two children: fraternal twins named Moroccan Scott Cannon and Monroe Cannon, who were born in 2011.

The twins were Cannon’s introduction to fatherhood. Even after his divorce with Carey, Cannon explained that it’s all love between the two as they co-parent. He went on to say that the twins are his “number one priority.”

Six years later, Cannon had his third child, Golden Cannon, with Miss Arizona USA, Brittany Bell. Cannon and Bell have three children together: their second child, Powerful Queen Cannon, was born in 2020, and their third child, Rise Messiah Cannon, was born in 2022.

Cannon’s third baby mother is Abby De La Rosa, who is a DJ and a former radio show host herself. She gave Cannon his second pair of twins, Zion and Zillon Cannon, in 2021. The following year, De La Rosa gave birth to Beautiful Cannon.

Model Alyssa Scott, Cannon’s fourth partner, gave birth to his seventh child, Zen Cannon, in 2021. Sadly, Zen passed away at five months old from brain cancer. Scott is also currently pregnant with Cannon’s 12th child, who is expected to be born in December of this year.

Bre Tiesi is Cannon’s fifth baby mother and gave birth to his eighth child this past June. She’s a part of the “Selling Sunset” cast as a real estate agent, and she is also a model. Before her relationship with the celebrity, Tiesi was married to FCF Zappers Quarterback, Johnny Manziel.

Cannon’s sixth baby mother is Lanisha Cole. She gave birth to his ninth child, Onyx Cannon, in September of this year. Cole was a model on “The Price is Right” and is a professional photographer.

Father of the Year?

Although he is a successful celebrity, his take on family may seem abnormal, even excessive, to the average American. His net worth is estimated to be $20 million, with a yearly salary of $5 million. Though Cannon has a decent amount of money, there’s more to caring for a child than just providing financial support.

Though money does matter, and it helps tremendously when it comes to providing for a child, many wonder: How can Cannon be a good father to 12 children? How can he equally split his time among them all, spiritually, emotionally and physically? How present of a father is Cannon really?

The actor has six different baby mothers, but he cannot be in six different places at the same time. Especially because several of his children were born in the same year, their timelines will eventually overlap. When it comes to different events and milestones, Cannon will have to let one or more of his children down. How will he decide which child to make his priority? Will it be his firstborn children with Carey? Or his most recent children? Allocating his time to twelve children may prove to be difficult, especially given his active career in the entertainment industry.

The involvement of Cannon’s baby mothers should be considered as well. Why do each of these women continue to allow him into their lives? Has his dream of having a big family not been fulfilled? When are enough children enough? And how many more can we expect him to have?

If Cannon continues to have children, what will his next steps be? How will he deal with scheduling? Will he continue to add other women to his “family”? Or go back to one of his previous partners? Procreation is a natural occurrence among humans, but in the modern day, especially with different methods of birth control, we see a decrease in the number of children that American families have.

Most American families, that is.

Chelsie Ross, Florida A&M University

Chelsie Ross

Otterbein University

Hello! I’m Chelsie Ross and I enjoy reading and writing. I’m in my fourth year of college and am excited to be writing for Study Breaks magazine! I also enjoy binge watching shows on Netflix.