In an article about Kim Kardashian in "American Horror Story Delicate," Kim Kardashian stands in a black dress with a white wig on in front of draping white curtains in blue-ish lighting.
Image via YouTube

American Horror Story Fans Are In For A New Scare

After twelve seasons, will AHS find what they've been missing by adding Kim Kardashian?

American Horror Story (AHS) lovers know that there are certain ingredients needed in the show’s recipe to make a new season worth watching. The first season focused on a “Murder House” and the third followed a “Coven ” of super cool witches, both equally very successful upon their releases. Later on, season eight of AHS blended two of its most iconic seasons, revisiting beloved characters and creating one satisfying story. Each season of the episodic drama is connected in some way, creating a complex spider web of related characters and plots. For those who have not indulged in the show, each season is monumental. Since 2011, AHS has delighted its fans with soft launches of the season’s new theme and cast. The anticipation in the past few years has been released through TV promos and social media each inducing a cataclysmic reaction from its fans. 

Regulars in the show have set the bar for fans to expect new characters with familiar faces. Actors such as Evan Peters, Taissa Farmiga and Emma Roberts are cast regulars in the past who have multiple reprised roles. The past few seasons have featured a variety of actors swapping regulars for newbies. The latest in cast addition is Kim Kardashian, as well as Roberts making her long awaited return to the show. Roberts has made appearances in six seasons of AHS and is a cast member that most are acquainted with. Her depth of chilling, deep characters is inviting and adds another level of excitement. Since the theme’s release, the stars have teased fans in a series of Instagram and Twitter posts for what is expected in the newest season of American Horror Story “Delicate.”

Earlier this year, both Kardashian and Roberts posted the same content that promoted the show’s teaser. In a 43 second clip followers were granted access to a snippet of the iconic American Horror Story theme song and name credits that included both Roberts and Kardashian. Only one word for the twelfth season was teased ­– “Delicate.” At the end of the clip a small voice can be heard saying “Emma and Kim are delicate.” 

The latest trailer of the series revealed other well-known faces set to be joining the cast. Cara Delivigne and Matt Czuchry will contribute to the 12th season’s storyline. The plot will revolve around the lengths one will go to for fame – suggesting the question, “how bad do you want it?” The trailer suggests its usual dark themes and a uniquely curated plot that everyone is already frantic to watch. The combination of Roberts and Kardashian in a storyline is expected to deliver a chilling plot.

Since the details began to emerge earlier this year, the discourse on social media has persisted. Die-hard fans of American Horror Story and people who are not too fond of Kim Kardashian were quick to share their opinions on the matter. A variety of Twitter threads featured comments from users expressing their concerns. However, most admitted that they will be sat for the entirety of this new season. 

For American Horror Story fanatics that are skeptical about Kardashian’s debut in the show – many have most likely forgotten that this is not her first rodeo. Previously, the reality television star has made several cameos in other Hollywood projects. Some of her brief appearances on TV have been in shows like “90210” and “CSI: NY” but not for entirely eventful episodes. Kardashian has also been a featured face in “Ocean’s Eight” as herself and Tyler Perry’s “Temptation: Confessions Of A Marriage Counselor” for a stock character role. Her minor roles have only proved that she has been a perfect fit for reality television. Now, the underlying concern is whether she’ll be able to carry this caliber of a show or not. 

Of course, no one is worried about Roberts rejoining the cast since she is an iconic ‘scream queen.’ The teaser that has been released for the newest season has filled fans with mixed emotions. Seeing ‘Emma Roberts’ but also the name ‘Kim Kardashian’ was dreadful for lots of viewers. At this point, the world will have to wait to find out any more details.

American Horror Story has maintained its status as an iconic television series in pop culture. With a definitive aesthetic that is dark and spooky, viewers are always reeled back in with every new season. The latest teaser indicates that viewers should expect to receive Kardashian among the star-studded season this summer. At the moment, there are really no other details besides the two leading ladies and the anticipation of what will happen. Now, this leaves the audience to wonder whether the viewership for this show will skyrocket — on the one hand, many people’s curiosities are piqued. But others believe Kardashian’s involvement will tank American Horror Story since many plan to skip the season altogether. There really is no telling how the season will turn out. But one thing is for sure — Roberts rejoining the cast is what every American Horror Story fan wants. Whether Kardashian will alter the show completely or not, fans can be assured that the iconic scream queen Emma Roberts will deliver an iconic performance yet again.

Ally Najera, California State University, Northridge

Editor

Ally Najera

California State University, Northridge
Broadcast Journalism, Minor in Marketing

I am currently studying broadcast journalism and minoring in marketing. I read religiously and love watching films. I am very passionate about words. I live and breathe pop culture – and love to share my thoughts.