In an article about Jake Gyllenhaal's newest film "Roadhouse," the actor is portrayed in a tshirt on the left and a shirtless boxer on the right.
Illustration by Deon Agyeman, Montserrat College of Art

Jake Gyllenhaal Channels His Talent In New Films

Known for dedicating himself to his films, Gyllenhaal impresses audiences (and serves some eye candy) once again.

Jake Gyllenhaal fans will be delighted to see more of the actor’s face on the big screen once again. With upcoming projects and a newly released film, he continues to be the buzz on social media and talk shows. Gyllenhaal is well known for his eccentric films and unique roles. More than that – he is highly regarded as an actor who fully immerses himself into his characters. Many times he has admitted to the mindset he places himself in and the rigor he sticks to when mastering a role. Most of this has stemmed from the practice of method acting, which many actors have famously tapped into. With each role, Gyllenhaal exudes passion and fully becomes the detective, the boxer or the cowboy.

The press and film release for Guy Ritchie’s “The Covenant” took place earlier this year. Starring Gyllenhaal and Danish actor Dar Salim, the film quickly garnered popularity from audiences. Prior to its release, Gyllenhaal posted many behind the scenes clips on his Instagram to promote the film. As did Salim, an actor new to the American film industry, who teased viewers about working with Ritchie and Gyllenhaal. Since “The Covenant’s” release, fans’ takeaways from yet another Gyllenhaal performance were mostly positive. Especially the “Jake Gyllenhaal fan clubs” which are online stans that absorb information about every project he’s in.

“The Covenant” explored the relationship between soldiers post 9/11 and the allegiance they felt to one another in battle. Though Salim and Gyllenhaal’s characters do not initially click, they ultimately prove to be loyal to each other. After a long journey that ends in escaping death, the two soldiers carry targets on their back hunted down by the Taliban. Without giving too many details away – though it’s been months since the film’s release – each second is worth it. Every minute of the plot will have  you engrossed in the story until the credits are rolling in.

Gyllenhaal’s promotion of the film’s release came with lots of talk show appearances and premiere events. His appearance on “The Kelly Clarkson Show” brought the country singer out of him with his performance of Billy Ray Cyrus’ “Achy Breaky Heart.” He jokingly laughed about involuntarily emitting an accent while singing the song. The star also joined Jimmy Kimmel for a sit-down interview on “The Jimmy Kimmel Show” where he discussed his role in “The Covenant.” All within the same week Gyllenhaal also made his first appearance on the intensive talk show “Hot Ones.” Routinely, the host and guest ate chicken wings that got progressively spicier while answering some juicy questions that gave fans more insight about Gyllenhaal’s career and who the actor is.

During a showing of “The Covenant” and a live Q & A with Gyllenhaal and Salim, the two stars were insanely interactive not only with one another, but with the moderator and audience as well. And if you were wondering whether Gyllenhaal is as beautiful in person as he is in his films – he absolutely is. The star is not only rugged and extremely talented on screen, but he also exudes those qualities in person. His answers to the interviewer’s questions regarding the film were well-thought out and meaningful. His relationship with both Salim and Ritchie proved the making of “The Covenant” to be a physically grueling yet healthy experience. What was the most fun about this event was Gyllenhaal’s responses to the shouts of fans and their ambush for taking pictures. The actor was comical and attentive with fans for the entirety of the Q & A.

Gyllenhaal is set to star in the 80s gem remake of “Roadhouse” fairly soon. The original film starred Patrick Swayze and this remake should be interesting considering Gyllenhaal is noticeably attached to the project. True to the actor’s nature as of late, the real taping of this film is what immediately drew fans to this project. After videos and pictures of him as a UFC boxer hit social media,  everyone was left wondering what his newest project was going to be. The “Roadhouse” remake will have something to do with a UFC fighter, leading Gyllenhaal to show off his physicality for yet another role. The videos went viral when he entered a real ring in Vegas – all for the antics of the film. From there the “Jacked Gyllenhaal” memes have continually rolled in on social media and his fans have loved every second of it. He even caught wind of the memes and was flattered to hear the unique nickname the internet gave him. On social media the videos of a fake weigh-in that lasted just mere seconds have been made into fan edits. With only so little to go on, this already has fans excited for what he has next to come. But film doesn’t seem to be the only medium Gyllenhaal is taking part in. His first children’s book “The Secret Society of Aunts and Uncles” will be released soon. Just like his press for film, he will take part in promotional events for the launch of the book. 

Gyllenhaal has been very busy with new films and appearances. Since last year’s release of the animated film “Strange World” fans have not known what to expect next from the actor. Though it is easy to guess that when he is attached to a project it does not disappoint. He is widely known for great films with even greater plots, and the “Roadhouse” remake already has good reviews from just the snippets of him as a UFC fighter. Of course, fans have already seen him enter a fighting match in his prior film “Southpaw” but many are still excited for what his next project has in store. At least one thing will be clear — Mr. Gyllenhaal will prove all of the “Jacked Gyllenhaal” memes to be true.

Ally Najera, California State University, Northridge

Editor

Ally Najera

California State University, Northridge
Broadcast Journalism, Minor in Marketing

I am currently studying broadcast journalism and minoring in marketing. I read religiously and love watching films. I am very passionate about words. I live and breathe pop culture – and love to share my thoughts.