In an article about Danielle Brooks as Sofia in "The Color Purple film," a woman with a plaid dress looks over her shoulder and snickers. Superimposed is that same woman with a plaid dress on a porch with her foot up, kicking open a door.
Images via Warner Bros. Pictures via YouTube YouTube

Danielle Brooks Is As Divine As She Is Humane as Sofia in ‘The Color Purple’

Almost 40 years after the original film adaptation, fans of this classic story will be wowed by the force that is Danielle Brooks.

Reprising her Tony-nominated role in the 2015 Broadway revival of “The Color Purple,” Danielle Brooks stuns in her take on Sofia in the 2023 movie-musical adaptation of Alice Walker’s 1982 Pulitzer Prize-winning novel.

SPOILERS AHEAD 

The greatest gift this Christmas is Danielle Brooks, who floors audiences in what will prove to be a career-defining performance as Sofia in “The Color Purple.” 

Danielle Brooks wowed with her debut as Tasha “Taystee” Jefferson in the early Netflix Original Series, “Orange is the New Black” 10 years ago. Just like Sofia, Taystee was a scene stealer, taking us through great heights within the walls of Litchfield Penitentiary. Since then, she has offered numerous standout performances across streaming platforms and stages, but “The Color Purple” marks her major studio feature film debut.

Taking feature film form from her Tony-nominated role in the Broadway revival, Brooks stings as she prances through the fields of rural Georgia.The moment we meet Sofia, we know the force and light she will bring to this beloved story. The men in Sofia’s life know not to bark, for she will bite. 

“I come here out of respeck-t!” she shouts to Mister, Harpo’s father, when he antagonizes her for trying to marry his son “for his money” (for which he has none).

Danielle Brooks’ take on Sofia is as divine as it is humane. With Brooks’ concentration, Sofia brings a levity and power to Ceily’s life and the film in its entirety that is nearly unrivaled by any supporting performance of the year. 

Our hearts break with her glaring stare at Ceily when Sofia departs from husband Harpo after Ceily advises him to beat Sofia when she “acts mean” toward him. The pain in her eyes as she reprimands Ceily in “Hell No” for taking away her power shows a deeper love that was betrayed—one of a sister.

“All my life I had to fight,” Sofia cries with a fresh, burgundy bruise under her cheek. Moving through the dirt path, Brooks’ leads a pack of spited women in a musical number that clearly showcases her Broadway chops. The pain bleeds from Brooks’ expressive scowl—but with Brooks, we know the pain is less for herself and more for Ceily’s docile, submissive nature.

The summit of Brooks’ brilliance comes after Sofia’s release from jail after aggressively declining a white townswoman’s petty job offer to be her maid, resulting in a standoff with the woman’s husband.  A silent, starved Sofia sits at Easter lunch with Ceily, Harpo, Mister, Shug and her new husband, too stunned for words. Her plate and mouth are empty, a startling contrast to the vibrant defiance we come to know. All comes to a boil when Ceily decides to leave her husband after decades of abuse, shouting “You’re nothing but dead horse sh-t that belongs deep in the ground.” 

Suddenly, Sofia burst into a deep belly laugh, stunning the table with her awakening. But just as soon as she breaks the tension, she breaks our hearts. Sofia sobs into herself, acting as a physical manifestation of Ceily’s long-brewing outburst. A figure of grit and unmatched kindness, Sofia finally sees Ceily fight for what she has been robbed of for too long.

“I believe in God because he lives in you, Miss Ceily,” she moans through wet cheeks.

Brooks’ Sofia is this pillar of faith and resilience for the film, which was her main goal for the role. Of what she hopes audiences take from the film, Brooks prays viewers  “Keep the faith. […] Regardless of where the pendulum swings, in your favor or not, you will be okay.”

Her first and main love, however, was the stage. In an interview with “CBS Mornings,” Brooks recounts her first Broadway show being the original “The Color Purple” Broadway production with her father in 2005. At 15 years old, Brooks witnessed the marvel that was this beloved classic, leaving the theater awe-struck and inspired. “I can do this,” she remembers. Just 10 years later, she found herself starring in her Broadway debut as Sofia in the 2016 Broadway revival of “The Color Purple” at age 25. At 35, she revisits the Southern who inspired, fostered and celebrated her.

Just as for Ceily, Danielle Brooks’ Sofia stands as a pillar of resilience and action for many young women, and especially young Black women everywhere. 

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Danielle Brooks (@daniebb3)

Oprah Winfrey, who played Sofia in the 1985 film adaptation of Alice Walker’s Pulitzer-Prize winning novel. Oprah recalls specifically wanting to tell Brooks that she got the role, resulting in an overwhelmed, weeping Brooks. 

“She is the one,” recalls Gayle King, remembering her conversation about casting Brooks in the role of Sofia. In passing the torch, Oprah has nothing but praises for the young actress praising Brooks’ rendition as “more fun.” 

Oprah, one of the new film’s producer, finds this adapatation to be more joyous.

“It’s jubilant.” she says. “You come with a sense of being filled with joy and hopefulness.” 

Already nominated for a Golden Globe and Critics Choice Awards, the Oscar buzz is sure to follow. If nothing else, this marks a game-changing reminder of the power that is Danielle Brooks. Basking in the glory of her experience and the continual support, Brooks can’t help but praise, “Look what God has done!”

And look what Danielle Brooks continues to do.

“The Color Purple” opens in theaters December 25, 2023. Buy your tickets now.