A scene from 'The Handmaid's Tale'

Everything We Know so Far About ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ Season 5

It's no secret that the series is inspired by real-life events. As the world continues to evolve, we can expect to see some big changes.

“The Handmaid’s Tale” is returning for a fifth season, which, according to Hulu, may be the series’s final installment. Not many details have been released, and a trailer hasn’t come out yet. However, some details we do know are the date it’s expected to premiere, the actors who will likely come back to reprise their roles, and more.

What To Know

Warning — spoilers for Season 4 below.

“The Handmaid’s Tale” is “the story of life in the dystopia of Gilead, a totalitarian society in what was the United States. Gilead is ruled by a fundamentalist regime that treats women as property of the state, and is faced with environmental disasters and a plummeting birth rate.” These women are referred to as “handmaids,” and they are assigned to a family and forced to reproduce with their commander.

Season 5 will likely begin with June’s (Elisabeth Moss) life in Canada and the aftermath of when she and other former handmaids beat Commander Fred Waterford (Joseph Fiennes) to death. Even though June has escaped Gilead, we will likely follow the storylines of the women who remain.

We also know that the teen handmaid, Esther Keyes (McKenna Grace), will have a larger role in this season. The actress hinted at this in The Hollywood Reporter: “I feel like there’s only one June. But there is the whole rebellion and there are all of these other girls. So, there’s one June and I supposed there’s one Esther as well! We’ll see what she gets up to into the next season,” said Grace. “I have no clue, but I have hopes … I think she [Esther] definitely can be part of this rebellion and the new generation of Handmaids. She will cause quite a stir.”

Is This the Final Season of “The Handmaid’s Tale”?

According to Glamour, Bruce Miller — the creator of “The Handmaid’s Tale” — said that he is unsure when the show will end. “So I know where I am in the story, and I do feel like we’re kind of reaching kind of a pivot point, but whether that’s the end or not, I don’t know. It just feels like it’s a good time to reassess what you were thinking, just because the story world has opened up because the real world has changed so much,” Miller said.

Miller wants to make sure that the show ends in a creative fashion that feels organic. He also wants to stay in constant communication with the actors of the show so they can figure out the best way to end “The Handmaid’s Tale.” However, they have yet to settle on an answer.

Release Date

“The Handmaid’s Tale” began filming in February and will wrap up in July. The show is scheduled to be released on Sept. 14, 2022.

Cast and Crew

Nothing has been confirmed, but if everyone returns, then you can expect the following:

• Elisabeth Moss as June Osbourne
  • Yvonne Strahovski as Serena Joy Waterford
  • Madeline Brewer as Janine Lindo
  • Ann Dowd as Aunt Lydia Clements
  • OT Fagbenle as Luke Bankole
  • Max Minghella as Commander Nick Blaine
  • Samira Wiley as Moira Strand
  • Amanda Brugel as Rita Blue
  • Bradley Whitford as Commander Joseph Lawrence
  • Sam Jaeger as Mark Tuello
  • McKenna Grace as Esther Keyes
  • Zawe Ashton as Moira’s girlfriend Oona
  • Clea DuVall as Emily’s wife, Sylvia
  • Charlie Zeltzer as their son Oliver
  • Max Minghella as Commander Nick Blaine Sophie Giraud

Reportedly, Christine Klo has been cast in Season 5 as a new character named Lily. According to Deadline, Lily is “a Gilead refugee who now is a leader in the Canada-based resistance movement.” She will “enter the story as a leader in the resistance who’s no stranger to perilous situations.” She has been described as a former Martha.

Where To Watch “The Handmaid’s Tale”

To fully understand what is happening, you must watch the first four seasons on the Disney-owned streaming service Hulu. Hulu starts at $6.99 per month, and you can cancel at any time. You can also buy “The Handmaid’s Tale” on Amazon or rent it on Amazon Prime.

CORRECTION: Original article stated that Alexis Bledel will return as Dr. Emily Malek, when in fact she will not return to the series for Season 5. 

Morgan Thomas, Wayne State University

Morgan Thomas

Wayne State University
Print and Online Journalism

My name is Morgan Thomas and I am a senior at Wayne State University. I am majoring in print and online journalism and I have a minor in film.