Famed Designer Stefano Gabbana Is Under Fire for His Rude Instagram Comment

The more outspoken half of Dolce & Gabbana has come under fire before for his comments about Selena Gomez.

When fashion blogger Chiara Ferragni, face of the Lancôme cosmetics company, married Italian rapper Fedez on Saturday, she was likely not expecting to become the target of much internet criticism — especially not from Stefano Gabbana, a fellow lover of fashion.

Gabbana, the co-founder of the fashion house Dolce & Gabbana, took to Instagram to critique Ferragni’s choice of wedding dress. Under Harper’s Bazaar UK’s post of Ferragni in her dress, Gabbana wrote, “Cheap.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnOGPV-AdOr/?taken-by=bazaaruk

This isn’t the first time Gabbana has found himself in trouble for controversial, and unwarranted, comments about women’s looks.

Back in June, the fashion designer insulted the appearance of singer and actress Selena Gomez. In Italian, he wrote, “è proprio brutta” (also in the form of an Instagram comment), generally translating as “she’s so ugly” in English.

Naturally, fans of Gomez rushed to her defense. Members of the fashion community also responded to Gabbana’s attack on Gomez’s appearance, and some stylists even stopped using Dolce & Gabbana’s designs.

Celebrity stylist Karla Welch, whose clientele includes singers Pink and Lorde, said: “I reacted poorly to [Gabbana’s comments]. I had Dolce on the rack for a fitting and said, ‘No, those can go away.’ That’s just mean.”

Somewhat grown by the ability of the internet to allow for a broader dissemination of information and ideas, there is a trend of men attempting to assert influence over women’s fashion choices, and many subtle — but also sometimes explicit — criticisms of what is considered the acceptable style for women exist.

Calling someone out for looking “cheap” is just another way to shame women for their fashion choices. No matter what a woman chooses to wear, a man does not have the right to dictate its value.

Gabbana was completely out of line, and he deserves the backlash that he receives both inside and outside of the fashion community.

Kate Maxwell, NC State University

Kate Maxwell

NC State University
Political Science