Illustration by Makayla LeBlanc, Montserrat College of Art

The Brittany Broski Effect: Goofy and Endearing

The influencer is more than a YouTube and TikTok personality. She continues to say what her audience is thinking… in a funnier and more insightful way.

Brittany Broski is an LA-based social media sensation and content creator who’s made a name for herself in online comedy. She originally hooked everyone with her funny and relatable videos especially on TikTok. Even though she started out as an internet joke with a viral video of her trying kombucha, she took that fame, created a platform, and the Broski Nation began to grow. Broski’s candidness and honesty is what sets her apart from the dozens of other online personalities. She encourages everyone to show only the best and shiniest parts of themselves, but also sits in her mumu and bares her soul. When she is talking it feels like you’ve had a million conversations with her before.

If you sit down to watch one of the videos on her YouTube channel, you will find a wide array of content. There are makeup tutorials (showcasing glam looks and more eccentric makeups), videos of her playing childhood online games, or making food in the middle of the night and having an earnest talk about race relations in America. 

Her earnesty and talent is going beyond her fanbase. In a talk show interview for “The Today Show” she shared, “The range of her content seems limitless,” and as long as she keeps finding people/music/TV shows to obsess over, that seems true.

Once Brittany decided to give her social media career an honest try, she found that people were willing to listen to her give passionate monologues on TikTok. Her content consisted of yelling and ranting over her obsessions. She even gives storytimes t about her day which people love. They’ve continued to want more, saying they could easily listen to her talk for an hour straight.

So, she obliged them with her podcast “The Broski Report,” earlier this year with the official first episode in May. Her podcast has remained on Spotify’s USA top 10 podcasts since. This medium is where she truly shines. With an hour slot and devoted fans, Broski’s weekly report can take them anywhere. These episodes have ranged from religious trauma to Wattpad stories to extreme deep dives into Rosalía’s discography.

One of her key principles is the idea that it costs nothing to stand by someone that you feel needs support. Because her fandom is primarily comprised of ‘girls, gays and theys,’ this solidarity has made her a voice that they know they can trust and feel deserves their attention. Someone trying to casually listen to her podcast might be thrown off by her tendency to literally scream about whatever her topic happens to be at that moment; which happens at least three times an episode.

But at same time, she has the ability to speak insightfully about serious topics like the human condition which has continued to leave fans by her side.

Even though some podcast episodes consist of her being loud, and a tendency to ramble about her cosplay crushes, Brittany is extremely smart and perceptive. She often shares stories or adages that make her audience feel like she is speaking directly to them. When she interviews others or is being interviewed, it’s apparent that she ponders and reflects on herself and her environment. Brittany often speaks of her love for her fans and the disbelief of her mass following.

“There’s a lot of glamour associated with this work because it’s so fun,” Broski previously said. 

“Who wouldn’t want to do it? But there is such a weighted responsibility with having that many people listening to you. And I think that there is a sort of moral obligation to talk about things that matter, but it can’t be in a way that’s disingenuous or in a way that spreads misinformation.”

Balancing comedy and realism is no easy feat, but Brittany appears to do it with a wisdom beyond her years.

As Broski Nation continues to grow, her fans hope she will continue to do this for many years. Who knows what is in store for the people’s princess? Her career can truly go in a number of directions. Maybe a TV show or an album? Directorial debut Maybe? It could be anything. 

With new content of hers always being pushed out on different platforms it seems there is no end in sight for Brittany Broski and her nation. At only 26, the world is her oyster and the world is happy to see her thrive and grow into the woman she wants to be.

Sophie Serage, University of Massachusetts, Boston

Contributing Writer

Sophie Serage

University of Massachusetts Boston

Professional Writing

"Sophie is a recent UMass Boston graduate trying to find the time and energy to read books for fun again (instead of for homework)."