liam and miley

Liam and Miley Got Divorced to the Internet’s Eternal Dismay

Love is dead.

Liam and Miley Hemsworth have been on a rollercoaster ride of a relationship together for almost 10 years. Everyone cheered when they officially tied the knot in 2018, and their short-lived marriage was a shock to fans, who were rooting for them since the two first met on the set of Nicholas Spark’s “The Last Song” in 2010.

While the public suspected that working together on “The Last Song” had been love at first sight for the couple, both were reluctant to officially announce that they were dating until after its premiere. Then, the couple became infamous for their imperfect yet loving, on-and-off-again relationship. Yet, the lovers were seemingly destined to be together, even after not one, but several break ups.

As the saying goes: “If you love something, let it go. If it comes back, it’s yours. If it doesn’t, it was never meant to be.” Liam and Miley were seemingly meant to be at many points in their lives. Until they weren’t anymore. Now, as the 26-year-old singer said in her latest hit, “Slide Away,” things have changed.

Liam took to Instagram last week and officially announced his separation from Miley after only six months of marriage.

“Hi all, just a quick note to say that Miley and I have recently separated and I wish her nothing but health and happiness going forward,” he wrote. “This is a private matter and I have not made, nor will I be making, any comments to any journalists or media outlets. Any reported quotes attributed to me are false. Peace and love.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1FuUk7nbjn/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

The news spread like wildfire, and soon enough people began coming to their own conclusions as to why the couple was wading in troubled waters.

The rumor mill barley needed to use its imagination after photographs were later released of Miley kissing Kaitlynn Carter, a famous blogger and the former wife of Brody Jenner. The pair’s tryst merely added fuel to the fire, and Miley bore the brunt of the media backlash.

The “We Love You Miley” hashtag was trending worldwide after the former Disney star had to defend herself on Twitter following the incident.

Miley posted, “I can accept that the life I’ve chosen means I must live completely open and transparent with my fans who I love, and the public, 100% of the time. What I cannot accept is being told I’m lying to cover up a crime I haven’t committed. I have nothing to hide.”

I can admit to a lot of things but I refuse to admit that my marriage ended because of cheating,” she continued. “Liam and I have been together for a decade. I’ve said it before & it remains true, I love Liam and always will.”

The “Malibu” singer was rumored to be the one fighting to keep the marriage alive, despite the difficulties the couple were facing, including: Miley’s unorthodox view of marriage, healing from the Woolsey fire and Liam’s unstable moods.

But, alas, all efforts made to remain together were fruitless when it was officially announced that Liam filed for a divorce due to their irreconcilable differences.

With the couple’s track record, it is more shocking that the public is shocked. Just as with horror movies, fans cannot help but watch the tragedy unfold right before their eyes. And the question is: Why do we care so much?

People of all walks of life break up every day for various reasons, including Liam and Miley. The two are more than familiar with that department, and, somehow, the split has still managed to rattle thousands of people.

In the light of Tinder and hookup culture, cute couples on public display, such as Liam and Miley, were a breath of fresh air. They were one of the couples that people loved to love. The rawness of their relationship was evident from the beginning, and watching them evolve provided a sense of hope that love does exist.

Fans lamented the break up through social media, which spiraled into a thread of “love is dead” memes (it couldn’t be helped, could it?) to lighten the mood in the midst of the couple’s split.

One fan on Twitter said, “I was heartbroken about Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth splitting then, and I’m heartbroken now.” The tweet was one amongst many others mourning the loss of, not just the couple, but what the couple meant to people.

Another fan tweeted in response to Cyrus’ rant, “Your love seems so precious and true. It is a shame that it doesn’t have a future. A lot of people would give anything to have that kind of love in their lives at least once.”

Still, as another old adage says, “All good things must come to an end.” Cyrus said it was more than an end, however. The split was a sign of a new beginning.

Billy Ray Cyrus weighed in on the end of his daughter’s relationship. “Somewhere along the stress and strain of different things,” he told Huffpost, “I didn’t see her smiling as often for a little while, and all of a sudden she’s like the sun, and when she smiles it’s light … Everything happens for a reason, and the main thing for me, as Miley’s daddy, is she’s happy.”

And I agree. Liam and Miley have separate journeys ahead of them, but what matters most is that the two are content in their decision to move forward. Everyone deserves a fresh start.

Miley posted a post-breakup photo on Instagramsaying just that. “Don’t fight evolution, because you will never win.” She wrote, “Like the mountain I am standing on top of, which was once under water, connected with Africa, change is inevitable.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1B68GEJzjW/