in an article about pop culture online courses, a woman in a red dress (Beyoncé) stands talking to another woman in a red dress (Taylor Swift).
Photo illustration by Roberto Soto; Source photograph via Google Images

5 Pop Culture College Courses We Wish We Could Take

Certain schools and programs offer specialized entertainment courses that might feel a bit more tailored to college students’ interests. 

On top of fulfilling credits, college students are looking for ways to incorporate their interests into their schedules. Whether it’s scrolling through social media or interacting with a favorite pop star or actor, these interests may exclusively be pop culture and the entertainment world.

Several icons have had their life’s work translated into academic courses. From the information behind their lives to their impact on culture in – these figures crafted their own curriculum. 

Taylor Swift 

For all the Swifites out there, this is 100% a dream course. I bet never in your wildest dreams would you imagine Taylor being a part of your education. 

For one semester those dreams became a realty for students at the University Of Texas . 

Titled, “The Taylor Swift Songbook,” the course was classified as an English course and was offered to undergraduate students. Students who were in the Liberal Arts Honors program were granted access to the Swiftian experience and homework was to dissect the popstar’s songs in connection to other academic topics. 

But Austin, Texas was not the only university enchanted with a special Swiftie class. 

Over in the East coast, New York University’s Clive Davis Institute, got their very own lessons to learn. In Spring of 2023,“Topics in Recorded Music: Taylor Swift” delved into the oppositional views on Swift’s music and allowed students to study her music closely. 

Dr. Sopanos guides students through discussions of Swift’s impact on younger artists, her representation of “teen girlhood in pop music,” “copyright and ownership, American nationalism and the ongoing impact of social media on the pop music industry.” They even delve into “white privilege to white feminism to white taste in an era of intersectionality and Black Lives Matter conscientiousness.” 

Who said there was nothing new about T. Swift? 

Beyoncé

The Beyhive will be sorry to find out one university offered an exclusive Beyoncé course. At this point, too many universities to name have dedicated a class after the icon. From Cornell University, to Harvard University– as well as Rutgers University – students were able to study up on all things Beyonce – including the body of her life, music and glamorous reputation. 

Politicizing Beyoncé” was offered at Rutgers University. Students claimed it as “part black feminism, sociology and music history with the star as an engaging entry point for how women, and black women specifically, are treated in America in real time.” 

If you’re crazy in love with Beyoncé’s music, this selection might have been the one you missed out on. 

Miley Cyrus

Nothing breaks like a heart — when you find out this city college in New York was offered a Miley Cyrus class. 

A specialized Sociology course titled “The Sociology of Miley Cyrus: Race, Class, Gender and Media” delved into the life of Cyrus from the perspective of social topics pertaining to her music career and. identity in today’s culture. Some of the biggest takeaways students might have gotten from the class ranged – Hannah Montana’s shift to her career as Cyrus, the female body in pop culture and more. 

Michael Jackson

Over at Clark Atlanta University, some students might have experienced a thriller when they found out a Michael Jackson class would be offered. In a graduate business program – commonly known as an MBA – Jackson became a major part of the curriculum. 

The unique class entitled, “Michael Jackson: The Business Of Music” had students studying up on how the icon paved his way to success. The class examined his billion dollar empire that was built from tours, record deals and more. A Michael Jackson course is definitely one that should be added to everyone’s curriculum and it’s too bad it’s only graced this particular business program so far. 

Quentin Tarantino

In contrast, one of the most beloved classes a film student would want to take is the dissection of Quentin Tarantino flicks

Once upon a time in… Harvard University a course titled ‘Race, Racism and Quentin Tarantino’ was available to grad students. The class focused on themes relating to the director’s filmography. Topics like the politics of racial storytelling and other related themes tied back to his work in film. 

Other universities have famously used Tarantino as a point of focus for common trends in his films as well as topics like “the final girl theory” which directly connect to a lot of the director’s tropes. 

Whether you are interested in pop culture or not, students should petition for more specified classes to be accessible to students looking to work in media or the entertainment industry

Ally Najera, California State University, Northridge

Editor

Ally Najera

California State University, Northridge
Broadcast Journalism, Minor in Marketing

I am currently studying broadcast journalism and minoring in marketing. I read religiously and love watching films. I am very passionate about words. I live and breathe pop culture – and love to share my thoughts.