in article about learning a foreign language, a man on a laptop

How To Successfully Learn a Foreign Language Remotely

Learning in a physical classroom can definitely help you, but going virtual offers its own advantages.

Not long ago, if you wanted to learn a foreign language remotely, your only choice was to buy a book and CD. The internet has significantly changed the way that people learn new languages. Now, it doesn’t matter where you are, you can access a wide variety of online resources to successfully learn another language.

Use Language Learning Software

While there are numerous online resources you can use to learn a foreign language remotely, from YouTube videos to text-based lessons, if you really want to learn another language, you need to approach remote learning in the same way as you would as if you were attending a class. First and foremost, that means using excellent language learning software that comes with all the resources you need to learn the basics and move on to advanced levels. There are several language learning software companies. The two big players are Babbel and Duolingo. Whether it’s Babbel or Duolingo that you choose comes down to your precise needs, so spend a while comparing the two.

Babbel provides unique approaches for each language course it provides. The number of levels depends on the language course you choose. Babbel’s resources include audio lessons, podcasts, matching games, quizzes and more. Furthermore, all recordings used on Babbel are from native speakers, which helps you to get the pronunciation right.

With Duolingo, you can choose a level based on how much time you want to devote to your language learning. You can opt for Casual, Regular, and Serious. The Duolingo app is easy to use and each course follows a tree-based structure. The primary learning method with Duolingo is translation. You translate sentences or individual words, helping you to develop your grammar and vocabulary.

Connect With Native Speakers Online

As you become more confident in your foreign language skills, it’s a good idea to have conversations with people who are actually from the country whose language you’re learning. Some people say remotely learning a language on the internet can’t be as good as learning in a real-life classroom environment. But you don’t get to speak to a wide variety of native speakers in a classroom setting. The internet has allowed independent language tutors to become more accessible than ever before.

So, if you want to successfully learn a new language, make sure you connect with online tutors to practice speaking the language. Alternatively, if you want to avoid the cost, make friends with someone online who is a native speaker.

Repetition, Repetition, Repetition

The theory of spaced repetition states you’re more likely to remember something if you repeat it over and over. So, once you learn things, keep going over them again and again until they stick in your head. That should include things like verb forms as well as vocabulary.

Whatever online learning language provider you go with, use repetition as a key tool to help you memorize your new language. Run through things like lists of verbs when you have 10 minutes to spare, such as waiting for a bus, and leave post-it notes around at home that show the foreign nouns for objects like the door, window, and washing machine. Did we mention that the theory of spaced repetition states you’re more likely to remember something if you repeat it over and over?

Make Sure You Regularly Spend Time Learning

Even if you go with an online course, learning remotely can be difficult because you only have yourself to motivate you. That’s why it’s important that you regularly spend time each day devoted to learning your new language. You can put in as much or as little time as you want. The key thing is putting in consistent time. Only by regularly learning and motivating yourself will you successfully learn your new chosen language.