A notebook for a Japanese language learner.

Ten Reasons To Learn Japanese

Have you considered picking up a new language lately?

Learning a new language can be daunting, especially if that language has different grammatical rules than yours. As globalization makes the world smaller and smaller, learning another language becomes increasingly important. As native English speakers, we shouldn’t think that just because people around the world learn English, we shouldn’t learn another language in turn. Studies show that multilingual people have great working memories and that becoming multilingual can enhance your understanding of your native tongue. Now, it’s more important than ever to bridge the gap between language barriers.

The first step is choosing a language to learn. Many people choose languages that are convenient to speak in their region of the world. In the U.S., the second-most spoken language is Spanish due to its large Hispanic population and border with Mexico. Spanish is also the second-most spoken language in the world, which makes it one of the most convenient languages to learn on a global scale. Others may choose to learn languages that they have cultural or ancestral ties to, such as Swedish-Americans learning Swedish. Others still choose to learn a language because they enjoy the country of origin’s popular culture. The increasing popularity of Korean music, television series and movies has inspired many people to learn Korean.

Whatever your reasons may be, Japanese could be the language for you. You may have heard that Japanese is one of the most difficult languages for native English speakers to learn, but that should not discourage you from studying it. Here are 10 reasons why you should learn Japanese:

1. Japan has the third-largest economy in the world.

Japan is a very prosperous country. With a GDP of $4.9 trillion in 2021, Japan’s economy is third in the world after the U.S. and China. Leading Japanese companies are among the largest and most well-known in the world. Familiar names like Sony, Sanyo, Casio, Canon, Honda, Toyota and Mitsubishi have dominated the world market in a variety of sectors. Whether you work in business, engineering, manufacturing, research or economics, chances are you will be competing with or working for a Japanese entity.

2. Understanding Japanese opens you up to business opportunities.

Japanese consumers spend billions of dollars annually on goods and services. Japan is also the largest export destination for American products. Furthermore, many American companies have successful branches in Japan. Being able to communicate with potential customers in their own language is key to winning their business. In addition, when you learn Japanese, you not only become proficient in the language, but you also gain an insider view of the culture. Understanding business etiquette and cultural faux pas to avoid can make or break important business deals.

3. Japanese is a gateway to other Asian languages and cultures.

Throughout its history, Japan has been shaped by the influence of Asia’s great civilizations: India, China, and Korea. While these cultures differ greatly from each other, many Asian cultures share similarities that differentiate them from the West. Studying Japanese can open your mind to the values that other Asian nations share with Japan, including religious beliefs, ethics and aesthetics.

4. Japanese speakers are the internet’s third-largest language group.

Japanese people make up the third-largest language community on the Internet, after English and Chinese speakers. An estimated 88 million Japanese, or 9.6% of the world’s online population, are connected to the internet. Knowing Japanese can connect you to these people in an instant. They may become future friends or acquaintances, business associates or even the market that you or your future employer hopes to target.

5. Japan is a center for technical innovation.

Japan’s geographical isolation, dense population and lack of natural resources have driven innovation and scientific advancement in various fields, such as optical media, semiconductor manufacturing, industrial robotics and fermentation processes. The Japanese are also world leaders in patent filing; over 400,000 patent applications are submitted annually.

6. Japanese cultural exports are exploding.

From anime to sushi bars, karaoke to manga, karate to jujutsu, Japanese culture has shaped the trajectory of international culture. Knowledge of the language will give you direct access to Japanese films, animation and comics, give you insight into the special terminology used in your favorite martial art, help you understand the cultural basis for kamikaze training and the origin of the samurai warrior and develop your ability to order sashimi like a native at your favorite Japanese restaurant!

7. Knowing Japanese will set you apart from the crowd.

In the United States, most people who learn a foreign language choose a European language like Spanish, French, German or Italian. Choosing a less commonly learned language will pop out on your resume and differentiate you from the crowd.

8. Japanese people are international tourists.

Japanese tourists are significant contributors to many countries’ economies, spending billions of dollars annually. Knowing Japanese can provide entry into this market, and it can also make travel to Japan more comfortable and enjoyable.

9. It’s not as hard as you’d think!

It’s true that the language has a different system of writing than English or any other European language. However, foreigners can get by if they learn the 44 or so hiragana or katakana characters that represent sounds. Additionally, the grammar is, in many ways, simpler than that of European languages. Japanese nouns have no gender, plural forms or accompanying articles. Furthermore, Japanese has only two verb tenses, and includes very few irregular verbs. Spoken Japanese has only five vowel sounds, and spelling is phonetically consistent, making the language relatively easy to pronounce.

10. Japanese is a stepping stone to learning other Asian languages.

The grammar of Japanese is very similar to that of Korean, and both languages have an equally advanced system of honorifics for showing respect. In addition, Japanese takes its kanji writing system from the Chinese system of ideographs. Learning Japanese brings you a step closer to taking on Korean or Chinese because many aspects of the languages are similar.

That doesn’t seem so daunting, does it?

Morgan Brown, Wake Forest University

Morgan Brown

Wake Forest University
Film Studies