Joe Satriani: An Innovative Legendary Guitarist

Follow Us Can you imagine someone using only an electric guitar to tell stories and convey complex emotions? Before listening to Joe Satriani’s music, I used to view the electric guitar merely as one element in a larger musical ensemble, either setting the rhythm as a rhythm guitar or delivering solos as a lead guitar. However, when I had the opportunity to attend Joe Satriani’s “The Elephants of Mars” tour in LA at the end of 2022, I was absolutely amazed at how Satriani wielded his electric guitar to create a powerful narrative and vivid imagery. He is truly a

Can you imagine someone using only an electric guitar to tell stories and convey complex emotions? Before listening to Joe Satriani’s music, I used to view the electric guitar merely as one element in a larger musical ensemble, either setting the rhythm as a rhythm guitar or delivering solos as a lead guitar. However, when I had the opportunity to attend Joe Satriani’s “The Elephants of Mars” tour in LA at the end of 2022, I was absolutely amazed at how Satriani wielded his electric guitar to create a powerful narrative and vivid imagery. He is truly a master of his craft.

Joe Satriani has been a rock guitar virtuoso for over 30 years, crafting and performing music that captivates audiences worldwide. With over 10 million copies of his albums sold, including multiple platinum and gold records, and 15 Grammy nominations, Satriani’s musical prowess is undeniable. “The Elephants of Mars” marks his 19th album, yet another masterpiece in his illustrious career. This album features a diverse array of songs that draw inspiration from various sources, including real-life experiences, complex emotions, as well as simple and intricate themes. It is this versatility and creativity that have enabled Satriani to maintain a lasting influence in the realm of electric guitar playing.

Satriani and NYC

Joe Satriani’s album “The Elephants of Mars” features a song titled “E 104th St NYC 1973,” which is inspired by the place where Satriani nurtured his music dreams as a young kid in the 70s. Unlike Satriani’s typical tracks, this song incorporates a throwback 12/8 shuffle groove, evoking the sensation of walking down the streets of New York City and immersing oneself in the vibrant music scene of that era.

New York City held a special fascination for Satriani, who hails from Long Island, New York. He had a deep appreciation for art, theater and music and was exposed to various genres ranging from classical to funk, soul, and rock, which planted the seeds for his music dreams.

Living in New York City with an unwavering passion for the electric guitar, Satriani embarked on a journey of guitar playing at the young age of 12. As the youngest child in his family, Satriani jokes that his parents were perhaps tired of raising children and thus gave him enough “liberty” to pursue his music. Even during his early stages of practice, Satriani realized the significance of creativity. He believed that mechanical exercises of scales alone were not enough, and thus he constantly aimed to capture the feeling of flowing notes and craft novel phrases. This dedication to innovation is one of the reasons why he has cemented his status as one of the most innovative musicians in the industry.

Other Sounds

Contrasting with the nostalgic and fondness-evoking “E 104th St NYC 1973,” the song “Faceless” in Joe Satriani’s album takes on a more serious and emotion-based tone. Unlike the heavily distorted guitars commonly found in metal rock, this song is slow and heavy, with clear and concise notes in descending minor chords that convey a sense of hurt. The drums have a big sound with a lack of back feel, amplifying the dark and oppressive atmosphere of the song. In the later part, Satriani’s short guitar solo starts off light and uplifting but quickly diminishes.

As Satriani described, the intention behind “Faceless” is to portray loneliness. In today’s society, revealing one’s true self to others has become increasingly challenging, with people becoming more separated and having less contact with each other. When I first heard this song, it brought to mind the image of zombies walking down the street. Although the guitar solo at the end seems to bring a glimmer of hope, the fleeting brightness leaves one feeling lost and disheartened.

On the other hand, “Blue Foot Groovy” is an entirely different kind of song in the album. It does not aim to express deep emotional or spiritual meanings but rather focuses on physical relaxation. The lively blues and funk beats in the song evoke a desire to move to the music and let go of worries. The purpose of this song is to encourage people to enjoy themselves and have a good time together.

The Creative Process

“The Elephants of Mars” album by Joe Satriani showcases his ability to create a diverse and captivating style of music, as noted by his student Kirk Hammett of Metallica, who stated that Satriani created his own genre. Satriani is not only known for his incredible guitar skills but also his prowess as a guitar instructor, with successful students like Steve Vai, a legendary rock n’ roll musician, who started learning guitar with Satriani at the age of 12. Vai has praised Satriani’s ability to make every note he plays sound like music with a soul.

The creative process for “The Elephants of Mars” album was different from Satriani’s past experiences, as it was conducted entirely online due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Despite the challenges of working from different locations, Satriani sees advantages in this type of collaborative environment. Recording individually and exchanging files for collaboration allows for more experimentation with different music styles and reduces unnecessary compromises. Satriani found great pleasure in trying out different approaches for a song in this online collaborative experience.

At the end of his performance, Satriani played his signature ending song, “Crowd Chant,” and the entire audience of fans stood up and shouted along with his guitar sound, creating a unique dialogue between the fans and their guitar idol. Satriani and his bandmates tossed guitar picks and drumsticks to the fans, and the cheers from the audience were incessant, applauding Satriani’s fantastic performance. Witnessing the fans celebrating with beers and shouting “Rock ‘n’ roll!” around, the power of Joe Satriani as a legendary guitarist becomes evident.

Danni Shuai, University of Southern California

Danni Shuai

University of Southern California
Communication