Illustration by Lucy Bauer, Columbia College Chicago

Steer Clear of Midtown: The Ultimate NYC Christmas Activity List For Locals

Avoid the Midtown crowds — get to know the heart of New York City with these holiday celebrations!

Even though the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree is always beautifully shimmering, most native New Yorkers dread the scourge of tourists blocking up the Midtown sidewalk so they look for other fun ways to get into the holiday spirit without having to take photos of random families from the Midwest. The best way to have new traditions is to go out and find them yourself, but with my help, readers can avoid becoming scrooges and stay away from all things Midtown. The hassle of walking down the street as families barrel through and ask dumb tourist questions is over. Welcome to the New Yorker’s guide to Christmas, no hassle included. 

The Met, Upper East Side

Instead of dodging elbows at Rockefeller for a glimpse of the tree, why not mozy on uptown to The Met. Always decorated for the season, The Met brings in a 20-foot blue spruce to display its stunning 18th century Baroque creche. Silk-robed angels adorn the branches and the full nativity scene unfolds at the tree’s base. You won’t have to fight the crowds to catch a glimpse of this tree— you can even watch the curators light it daily at 4:30pm. Make yourself some warm cocoa from home while you are mesmerized by the work and decorations all throughout. 

Visitors young and old are enchanted by the Temple of Dendur, an Egyptian temple from 10 B.C.E. that was transposed from its Nile-side location to the bright, sun-drenched Sackler Wing overlooking a reflective pool. Other highlights include the impressive array of European and Asian armor, Grecian sculptures, medieval art and contemporary photography. After hours of exploring, relax by a fountain in the indoor sculpture garden or ponder what it all means in the Astor Chinese Garden Court, nestled off the Asian Art galleries. While in the Upper West Side, take a stroll through the naturally ethereal Central Park. 

View both the midtown skyscrapers and foliage while trying to avoid the bustling families rushing to get to the rink at the south end of the park. While that might be perfect for the tourists who are willing to spend over hundred dollars to skate while feeling claustrophobic, that’s something us locals know to avoid.

Prospect Park, Brooklyn

Instead head over to Brooklyn’s famous Prospect Park. Every winter season, Prospect Park’s massive arena transforms from a roller rink to an ice rink. The price is reasonable, there’s plenty of room to skate, and it’s embedded deep enough within Brooklyn that you won’t see too many out-of-towners. What could be better?

The NY Handmade Collective, Manhattan and Brooklyn

The NY Handmade Collective, formerly known as the Etsy NY Street Team, is a nonprofit made up of a vibrant group of artisans who live and/or work in and around New York City. Outposts in both Manhattan and Brooklyn make this holiday pop-up event from Etsy convenient for shoppers in both boroughs. The list of 70 vendors changes daily and by location, but always includes plenty of handmade jewelry, clothing, and home goods. Though lots of shoppers turn out for this holiday market every year, it tends to draw fewer tourists than some of the city’s other options (which is always a good thing).

Artsy IFC’s Christmas Movie Showing, Greenwich Village

Cozying up with some christmas cookies and cocoa watching movies can help spread the holiday cheer. Another great activity in the city that never sleeps is located at the Artsy IFC movie theater in Greenwich Village. Hosting one of our favorite holiday traditions every year a big screen showing of “It’s A Wonderful Life!” Because, you can’t help but sob when George Bailey finds Zuzu’s petals again.

The New York City Ballet’s “The Nutcracker,” Upper West Side

The New York City Ballet’s (NYCB)“Nutcracker” is a family favorite holiday show at the David H. Koch Theater at the Lincoln Center, and this year’s production promises to be no exception. With George Balanchine’s original choreography and Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky’s music from 1892, this year’s show promises to be another record-setting demonstration of the art of ballet for the masses. 

The show’s sales pitch is “Tchaikovsky’s beloved melodies transport you to a magical world where mischievous mice besiege a battalion of toy soldiers, and an onstage blizzard leads to an enchanted Land of Sweets.” But these words fail to capture the true nature of the show, which has long been a crowd favorite, steeped in tradition.

Any patron can attest that this show appeals to people in many different ways, be it the score, the dance or the spectacle.

The audience at the Lincoln Center made up of an eclectic mix of local New Yorkers dressed to the nines in suits and evening dress, parents and children with their strollers and iPhones, and even tourists in jeans and t-shirts, trying to figure out where they are supposed to go– a true melting pot of New York City all celebrating their love of New York Ballet and particularly George Balanchine’s take on “The Nutcracker.”

Dyker Heights, Brooklyn 

This Brooklyn neighborhood might take the title of the NYC location with the most razzle dazzle. Every year, residents put up extravagant displays featuring giant Santas, sparkling reindeer, and loudspeakers blasting Christmas carols. Though thousands of sightseers flock to the nabe every year, there’s much more room to spread out, making it a better option for light-gazing. 

Sure, the Dyker Heights display in Brooklyn is an over-the-top extravaganza of lights and color and Christmas. But missing some of the other spectacular light shows around the city would be a shame, because there are some great ones.

Queens County Farm, Queens

At the Queens Farm, Christmas decoration comes in the form of 1,000 lights—hand-crafted lanterns that adorn the six acres of historic farmland. The lanterns were inspired by both theme parks and Chinese myths and legends, and include dazzling dragons, woodland animals and plants, flowers, farm animals, and sea creatures. The display also includes illuminated swings (yes, they can actually be used) as well as illuminated tunnels (for those who attended last year, the number of lanterns and lights has been doubled.) Take advantage of the instagram worthy lights while strolling through the gardens, and let the light in as you enjoy the festivities. 

Venturing off the beaten path allows locals and visitors alike to discover the authentic charm of the holiday season in the city that never sleeps. From hidden gems like neighborhood markets and local festivals to intimate performances, these non-touristy activities offer a refreshing and more personal perspective of the festive spirit in NYC. Embracing these offbeat options not only provides a break from the typical tourist routines but also fosters a deeper connection with the city’s diverse communities and traditions. So, the next time you find yourself in the Big Apple during the holidays, consider stepping away from the tourist hotspots to uncover the enchanting, lesser-known Christmas magic that awaits around every corner.

Emma Troise, Manhattan College

Emma Troise

Manhattan College

"My name is Emma Troise and I am receiving my degree at Manhattan College in English Literature. I am twenty years old living in New York City, and in my junior year of college.I am an inspiring writer and editor, and can not wait to learn!"