Against a pink background, a tan queen and a black king chess piece leans towards one another on a chess board with purple hearts in between them.
Illustrated by Emily Daugherty, Ohio State University

BOOK REVIEW: ‘Check & Mate’ by Ali Hazelwood

The highs and lows of Ali Hazelwood's recently released novel, which marks her debut in the YA genre.

One of TikTok’s favorite writers just debuted her first young adult novel. Until now, Ali Hazelwood only published adult romances focused on the representation of women in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics). However, on November 7th, her first YA novel “Check & Mate” came out, and to the surprise of some (at least me), it was not about academics in the STEM field. It was about… chess!

At first glance, I thought the novel would have a very superficial coverage of chess. In writing my previous article “2023 Winter Book Releases You Need to Read”, however, I found out through an interview with Hazelwood that chess has been part of her personal life since elementary school. 

I thought overall that “Check & Mate” was a great experience for Hazel’s first time tapping her feet at the YA waters, but in my Goodreads review I gave it a total of three stars. Don’t get me wrong– three stars is often a good rating for books– I just had some issues with the behaviors of some characters and the unnecessary repetition of facts throughout the read.  

The novel follows the story of Mallory Greenleaf, a girl who has sworn off chess after it tore her family apart. However, fate has other plans for her when she reluctantly participates in a charity tournament, facing off against none other than the infamous “Kingkiller” Nolan Sawyer, who is the number one player in the world. And guess what? She wins the match, bringing much attention to herself even though being famous for chess is her last wish. 

The aftermath of this unexpected win sets the stage for a compelling story that combines the intricacies of chess with the complexities of relationships. Hazelwood weaves a tale of triumph, personal growth, and the unpredictable nature of love. Hazelwood is pretty good at writing the “found family” trope as she has shown in previous works; in this book, the trope is very relevant for all ups and downs that Mallory faces. 

The exploration of Mallory’s internal struggle is a central theme in the novel as she navigates the chess world once again, and the reader witnesses her gradual transformation. Hazelwood effectively conveys Mallory’s conflicting emotions, showcasing her resilience and vulnerability. The chess matches become symbolic of the challenges she faces in her personal life, creating a rich and nuanced narrative between game and reality.

The backdrop of the chess world adds a unique and fascinating layer to the story. Hazelwood easily makes the reader rapidly interested in plays and famous names of chess with the descriptions of the tournaments and practice sessions she writes for the characters. The strategic moves on the board mirror the characters’ emotional maneuvers, creating a seamless connection between the game and the unfolding drama.

It is interesting to see Hazelwood bringing a mainly male-dominated male world to life in the eyes of a female once more. The first world she has explored thus far in her past six books was in STEM, in which the women had to prove themselves in order to achieve something small or even a milestone. 

“Check & Mate” is no different, as it is said in the book that around 95% of chess players are male. This overcoming of a male-dominated sport is also part of the character’s journey as she is always the only girl participating in the competitions. She faces both people who admire her for being there and obviously the villain of the book (chess player number two in the world) who hates her and tries to sabotage every tournament they play in together. 

I think all stories about a heroine that has to battle for a good life are always great, but I do not think this plot was well-thought-out in the book. As I was reading about the protagonist Mallory’s struggle in providing for her sisters (since their mother is often sick and unable to perform much of her role in the family), one of the sisters named Sabrina was always rude and ungrateful for everything in all the interactions shown in the book.

I personally had to grow up at a very early age as well, and that motherly side that sometimes naturally develops in women comes to life with no warning. The sense of having to take care of people and our daily responsibilities is often hard to separate from our personal lives. The excuse given by Sabrina for her rude behavior is that she stopped seeing the girls as sisters but more like daughters. Nevertheless, I still disagree with all the hurtful words that were exchanged once Mallory actually decided to live her life without Sabrina’s permission. 

The other criticism I have (and my biggest pet peeve with this book) is the fact that all the time the conversation goes back to how Mallory likes to have sex, or how often she does, or how many partners she has. I think that for a YA novel, it is not as important to have those spicy moments that Hazelwood is used to writing for her more adult novels. I felt uncomfortable every time Mallory’s sex life was brought up because it ended up being irrelevant to the story. Overall, Mallory’s character felt a bit plain as not much of her personality was shown other than her sex life, and that is not good when it is the main character we are talking about.

But besides all my criticism, “Check & Mate” is an interesting and riveting exploration of life, love and the unanticipated complexities that arise when you mix them with chess.

As Mallory rises through the ranks, the novel delves into the competitive and cutthroat nature of the chess world. The portrayal of the spotlight on Mallory adds a realistic touch, highlighting the pressures and expectations that come with success. This exploration of fame and its impact on personal relationships adds depth to the narrative.

The romantic aspect of the story is considered to be a very slow burn romance that grows as the characters develop genuine connections. The chemistry between Mallory and Nolan is palpable, and their interactions are filled with both wit and vulnerability. 

“Check & Mate” succeeds not only as a romance novel but also as a tale of self-discovery and resilience. Hazelwood’s writing for her first work in the YA world is engaging, with a blend of humor, emotion and intellect that keeps the reader invested until the end.

Beatriz Barros Felice, California State University, Northridge

Beatriz Barros Felice

California State University, Northridge
Mass Communication, Masters

"Beatriz is an international, multilingual journalist from Brazil. After graduating with her B.A. in Journalism, she returned to get her Masters in Mass Communication. She hopes to work in entertainment and world culture."