In an article about Emily Henry's success, a pink and red illustration of a book shelf and two girls reading a book. The words "Emily Henry" in the upper lefthand corner and "Literary Star" in the bottom right hand.
Photo Illustration by Roberto Soto; Source Images via Pexels and Library of Congress

Decoding What Made Emily Henry a Literary Star

An exploration of what makes Emily Henry’s books appealing.

In the rapidly expanding world of modern fiction, there is no author who has achieved such rapid and remarkable success as Emily Henry. Her meteoric rise from obscurity to global acclaim begs raises the question: how did Emily Henry come to be so well-known and celebrated in the literary community?

It’s no secret that the world of literature is ever-changing. Once in a while, certain authors, who seem to come out of nowhere, are suddenly able to stand out from the crowd and captivate readers around the globe. One such writer is Emily Henry, a contemporary romance author best known for her books “Beach Read,” “People We Meet On Vacation,” “Book Lovers,” and “Happy Place.” 

Henry’s work has made her one of the top romance authors globally and earned her a place on the New York Times Best Sellers list. But her rise to fame didn’t happen overnight. She actually began her career writing teen novels that didn’t get much attention. However, it wasn’t until her 2020 release, “Beach Read,” that pushed her into the literary limelight. This novel proved to be a game-changer, receiving widespread acclaim and praise from both readers and critics. 

As a devoted and former non-romance reader who read all four of Henry’s books during summer break, I’ve found myself several times pondering what makes her books so incredibly appealing and undeniably enchanting. After a lot of contemplation, I believe that the secret to the allure lies in a combination of

Henry’s ability to touch our hearts with relatable characters, spark our imaginations with amusing banter and dialogue, and constantly remind us of the beauty and magic that can be found in the everyday moments of life. 

It all starts with her characters. Her characters are so genuine that it almost seems like they stepped out of the real world and into the pages of her books. You can’t help but be captivated by them. They aren’t the flawless characters of some typical romantic novels; they are uncomfortably human with their own flaws, insecurities, and inner struggles, just like us.

As readers, we can see ourselves in them. We share their struggles and doubts, as well as their triumphs and moments of joy. Whether it’s January and Gus, Poppy and Alex, Nora and Charlie, or Harriet and Wyn, they possess the ability to enter our heads and make us feel like we’re right there with them, even after we’ve finished reading the book. This connection allows readers to immerse themselves into the narrative, creating a strong bond between the reader and the story. 

If there’s one thing Emily Henry excels at, it’s witty banter, and she does it to perfection. Henry has an amazing gift for creating dialogues that are an unhurried symphony of humor and authenticity. The way her characters talk, tease and converse feels natural and exciting. It’s as if we’re listening to a real conversation between friends or lovers. Witty banter isn’t just fun; it’s a way for the characters to get to know each other better.

The banner reveals more about their personalities and how they feel about things. It adds nuance and depth to their relationships, making us fall in love with not just the characters, but the dynamics they share with each other. 

Perhaps the best thing about Emily Henry’s books is that they’re impossible to put down and always leave you wanting more. Her books are so incredibly engrossing that you can’t stop reading them. Once you get into them, you’re on a rollercoaster ride – you

can’t stop reading until you’ve reached the end. Her stories are so compelling that you simply can’t stop turning the pages, and you’ll be up all night long just waiting in anticipation for the next heart-warming moment. 

Social media had also a huge role in spreading the word about Emily Henry. As good as her books are, it’s undeniable that without social media, especially TikTok, she wouldn’t be as known as she is today. The hashtag #EmilyHenry alone garners 273.6 million views on TikTok. Personally, I was convinced by TikTok to start reading her novels. It took me a while but in the end, I gave in, and am glad I did.

I first picked up “Beach Read” and was skeptical at first, with thoughts like “What am I doing? I don’t read romance novels! Did I just waste my money by buying this book?” It didn’t take me long to realize this was not the overly cheesy and Hallmark-esque story I was expecting. Instead, I understood that with each book, Henry invites readers on a journey of self-discovery, love and the magic of storytelling.

Emily Henry’s novels are not just romance stories; they are invitations to see the beauty of life in all its messy and heartwarming glory. 

As if collectively selling 2.4 million books and spending a cumulative 145 weeks on the New York Times Best Sellers list wasn’t enough, in only a few months, three of her books have been picked up to become feature films. Emily Henry just keeps winning.

There aren’t many details about the adaptations yet, but of course that isn’t stopping dedicated followers of fan-casting celebrities such as Zoey Deutch, Harry Styles, Haley Lu Richardson, and Logan Lerman. And Henry is all up for it, fans just have to wait and see who gets to bring these beloved characters to life. 

Books can make you laugh, learn, and cry. But some books cast a spell on you and take you with them until the last page. It is no secret that Emily Henry’s novels fall into the last category. Her novels are a testimony to the power of storytelling and to the timeless appeal of love stories that speak to the core of our being. She has unlocked something magical, and it is a gift that keeps on giving with every book she writes.

Karla D. Galvan, The University of Texas at San Antonio

Karla Galvan

The University of Texas at San Antonio
Communication, Minor in Marketing

"I am a college student majoring in Communication with a passion for writing and an interest in anything pop culture, especially music and film!"