An illustration featuring a couple that represents a popular book genre, Black romance.

Black Romances You Should Read Right Now

From historical fiction to tragedies to magic and mysteries, Black romance provides escapism when you need a break.

Reading is part of being a college student, and it’s especially true for English majors. Between four classes, an English major could be introduced to over 100 different pieces of literature in a semester. While this might sound easy for someone who loves to read, it is not. Reading academically can be exhausting if one is not familiar with or uninterested in the subject matter. That’s why having a few books to read for fun is essential. Here is a list of novels I’ve read so far — and some I am looking forward to reading this year.

The Black romance genre has grown exponentially in recent years. The popularity of BookTube on YouTube and BookTok on TikTok introduced many readers to the greatness that is Black romance. While this list will not contain every great piece of Black romance, it will showcase the best novels I have read so far. Mild spoilers ahead!

“Black Girls Must Die Exhausted”

Black Girls Must Die Exhausted” by Jayne Allen is an amazing book featuring a group of girlfriends who go through the cycles of life together. The story centers around Tabitha Walker. Tabby has everything together in her life. The perfect career. The handsome and successful boyfriend. Even the perfect credit score. When Tabitha finds out she has a shocking condition, her world turns upside down. With the encouragement of her family and best friends, Laila and Alexis, Tabitha must make life-altering decisions.

This novel was amazing. The story touches on police brutality, mixed-race identity, friendships, relationships, motherhood and so much more. I really enjoyed Tabitha as a character and found her to be intensely relatable. I also really enjoyed the relationships in the novel, especially Tabitha’s relationship with her friends Alexis and Laila. They go through tough situations together and reflect what it’s like to have long-term best friends. I also enjoyed Tabitha’s relationship with her grandmother. It seemed as though they have a very close relationship, and Tabitha sees her grandmother as someone who she can go to for just about anything. The novel was extremely well-written; it gave me a break from reading academically and got me back into reading for fun again.

“The Nickel Boys: A Novel”

One novel that captured my attention was “The Nickel Boys” by Colson Whitehead. While this novel is older, its relatability is still ever-present. Based on a true story, this novel is a period piece set during the Jim Crow era in Florida. Elwood is sent to Nickel Academy reform school after riding in a stolen car. There, he meets Turner, and together they try to survive the hellish place they were unjustly sentenced to.

While to the public, Nickel Academy appears to be a respectful and safe school that turns young boys into respectable members of society, it is far from it. The boys experience vast amounts of abuse, both physical and mental, but they survive with the help of each other. While this read was difficult to get through at times, Whitehead paints a vivid picture of the conditions the boys suffer and brings to life horrific experiences that would have been erased from history if not for writers like Whitehead bringing these stories to light.

“You Made A Fool of Death With Your Beauty: A Novel”

Another novel that I really enjoyed was “You Made A Fool of Death With Your Beauty” by Akwaeke Emezi. After losing the love of her life in a tragic car accident, the main character Feyi Adekola swears off love or romance. She swears an oath of celibacy but soon longs to fulfill her needs at a party. Here, she makes a connection that will lead her to a type of love she did not know was possible again. This novel tackles what it’s like to lose someone close to you and the pain and sorrow of trying to get past it and move on to something new. This novel was funny, clever and pleasurable to read. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a heartwarming read.

“The Lost Apothecary”

A novel that I am looking forward to reading in the future is “The Lost Apothecary” by Sarah Penner. I am excited to read this novel because it differs from the type of books I would usually read. It deals with potions, history, murder and revenge — things that pique my interest. I also really like the time jumping that appears to occur in the novel. Overall, this novel seems very interesting, and I look forward to reading it soon.

While reading for college can be beneficial for academic success and provide a strong foundation for scholarly study, it can sometimes be mundane, especially if the subject is not engaging or difficult to understand. For this reason, it is crucial for scholars to make time to read books that they enjoy. Novels that inspire them. Novels to encourage them to want to read and write. While this list is not extensive in the slightest, it’s a great start for those who feel they are in a reading or writing funk and need something to put a smile on their face.

Erica George, Louisiana State University, Shreveport

Erica George

Louisiana State University, Shreveport
English, Literary Studies Concentration