Illustration by Makayla LeBlanc, Montserrat College of Art

7 Up and Coming Video Essay Creators To Check Out

From True Crime to Film History, learn from some of YouTube’s brightest minds.

In the vast world of online content, there’s a unique and intellectually enriching form of expression that has gained momentum–video essays. They have emerged as a captivating and intellectually stimulating form of expression, combining the analytical depth of a written essay with elements of visual storytelling. The combination of thought-provoking commentary, clever editing and storytelling has created a wave of up-and-coming creators. Their content explores a range of topics like movies, literature and pop culture. These individuals are not just content creators; they are storytellers, analysts, and cultural critics who have redefined the way we view media. 

Today, we shine a spotlight on these emerging YouTube video essay creators.

MAIA C

If you’re a film enthusiast hungry for nontraditional reviews, Maia C’s channel is perfect for you. Maia takes you on a journey through the depths of TV and movies, unraveling their tropes and concepts with a keen eye for social relevance. Prepare to watch and be enlightened as Maia uncovers her interpretations of movies and TV shows you adore. In these videos, she skillfully dissects the narratives, characters, and themes, while drawing parallels to contemporary issues. Maia’s channel is not just about entertainment, it’s a window into the intersection of art and reality. What makes Maia C’s channel unique is her ability to unpack the complex relationships between fiction and the real world, providing viewers with a deep insight into the profound influence that media has on our social attitudes and behaviors.

UNPREDICTABLE

For anyone searching for a channel that seamlessly blends the allure of mystery and thoughtful exploration, make sure to check out ‘Unpredictable.’ This channel is run by a pair of siblings who specialize in thoughtfully crafted video essays that focus on mysterious disappearances, cults, and enigmatic cases. What sets their content apart from others is their unique ability to remain interesting without upsetting or graphic details. A big thing for the siblings is not desensitizing themselves and others to human suffering. They give a more refreshing take on true crime where you can enjoy the thrill without sacrificing sensitivity. They cover notorious true crime cases and mysterious disappearances with utmost care.

Instead of sensationalizing the tragedy and exploiting the suffering, they focus on the human stories behind the events. The videos are the perfect balance for those who love delving into the mysterious side of true crime without being overwhelmed. Their storytelling is absolutely captivating and each video essay unfolds like all the makings of a good mini-documentary. The video essays provide insightful and respectful narratives of these cases that keep you hooked from start to finish. 

FAB SOCIALISM

If you’re seeking an educational experience that transcends the conventional, ‘Teanna’s Fab Socialism’ is the channel to bookmark. Teanna’s content unpacks systemic issues such as capitalism, imperialism, and anti-Blackness without pointing fingers at anyone. Teanna’s mission is clear – raising awareness to foster collective knowledge. Her channel is dedicated to dismantling complex societal structures without alienating anyone in the process, using words and examples that are understandable and engaging. This creator goes the extra mile by placing tone indicators in the corner of her videos, providing additional support for viewers who are not neurotypical. Paired with her commitment to communicate in a simplified way, she creates an inclusive and accessible content space for all audiences.The brilliance of this channel lies in its ability to navigate complex issues with simplicity, guiding us toward a future where knowledge becomes the cornerstone of transformative change. 

THE BOOK LEO

If you’re looking for a place to get lost in the world of books, ‘The Book Leo’ is the place for you. Leonie, the creative force behind the channel, opens the door to the world of literature and provides a wide range of content that satisfies every book enthusiast. Leonie introduces viewers to a world where books aren’t just read. Rather, in her videos they’re celebrated through insightful video essays. From thematic exploration to analysis of different genres, Leonie reminds us how much there is to learn from literature.

‘The Book Leo’ also takes a closer look at the problems the bookish community faces. For instance, how readers’ attention spans have begun to decline. Or the way TikTok has since ruined the reading experience for many.

WHAT’S SO GREAT ABOUT THAT?

There’s no better place than ‘What’s So Great About That?,’ so if you’re looking for a way to get your brain going, tune in to explore the world of art and culture. Led by creator Grace Lee, this channel delves into the relationship between media, philosophy and art. This channel is distinguished by its remarkable video essays, which are crafted with precision and examine how these elements intersect with one another.

One of the channel’s main focuses is the introspection of ideas and philosophies that echo through fiction and culture.

ELLE LITERACY

If you’re passionate about understanding the cultural reflections within media, ‘Elle Literacy’ is a must-watch. Elle, the insightful creator, takes you on a journey through films and TV shows to uncover the hidden meanings relating to society, with a focus on women and femininity. Elle analyzes films and television shows with a critical eye, providing insight into the cultural messages.

Through her storytelling, criticism goes deeper than the surface, examining the underlying social narratives in popular shows and movies.

MY LITTLE THOUGHT TREE

If you are someone who has found themselves questioning the psyche of certain characters, ‘My Little Thought Tree’ is a one-of-a-kind YouTube video essay experience. The channel is hosted by a professional therapist, passionate about the psychology of characters we see in movies and TV shows. Their content provides in-depth analysis that draws out the deeper meanings and emotions in an insightful and intimate way. 

The creator’s professional background in psychology adds a unique layer to discussions about meaning in movies and their characters. This channel stimulates your mind, sparks introspection, and provides a fresh lens on your favorite media.

As the world of online content continues to expand, these up-and-coming video essay creators are paving the way for a new era of insightful and visually engaging content. Whether you’re a film buff, a pop culture enthusiast, or simply someone who appreciates a well-crafted video, be sure to check out these rising stars. Their fresh perspectives and creative approaches are sure to make them essential additions to your subscription list.

Take a moment to peruse these channels, and you might just discover your new favorite content creator in the process. 

Karla D. Galvan, The University of Texas at San Antonio

Karla Galvan

The University of Texas at San Antonio
Communication, Minor in Marketing

"I am a college student majoring in Communication with a passion for writing and an interest in anything pop culture, especially music and film!"