The halves of two lunch trays -- one grey and one orange -- are joined, the orange containing a packaged lunch, a juice box and string cheese, while the grey holds a more natural meal: sandwiches, nuts and berries, grapes. They are divided by a diagonal cutting down the middle, bisecting the background into green on the left and blue on the right, yet each are covered in stars.
Illustration by Macy Sinreich, Columbia University

What are American Food Regulations Doing to Us? 

Compared to European food regulations, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's are careless. How do their policies affect our diets?

From studies proving the harms of food additives to personal experiences, consumers are not happy with American food regulations.

About a year ago, memes about red dye 40 took TikTok, X and other social media platforms by storm. These memes poked fun at America’s tolerance of red dye 40, claiming to love products containing the artificial dye and even assembling creations with as much red dye 40 as possible. A famous example includes the Chamoy pickle kit made popular  on TikTok.  While these memes were mostly joking, there was an underlying tone of criticism and frustration over American food regulations.

Regulations in Europe vs. The United States

Compared to the European Food Safety Authority’s (EFSA) regulations, the United States’ Food and Drug Administration (FDA) policies are more lenient and borderline careless at times. While both policies are mostly the same, the few differences are major.

The EFSA has banned several different additives that are commonly used in the United States. Ingredients like growth hormones, preservatives and coloring agents are not used in most European countries. In 2023, a study found that about 60% of food purchased by Americans contain coloring, preservatives and sweeteners. But why does this matter?

Many studies have researched and published negative findings in the use of food additives. A variety of additives and chemicals allowed in the U.S. have been linked to thyroid issues, increased symptoms of ADHD, cardiovascular issues and cancer. The EFSA calls for additives to be proven safe before they are allowed to be used, while the U.S. allows ingredients linked to harmful effects without any proof of safety.

The FDA claims chemicals are added to our food because of the need for preservation of quality and extension of shelf life. Yes, consumers avoid quickly rotting food, but at what cost? They  should have a  say in what is added to their food and bodies.

Recently, TikTok users have pointed out that their gluten intolerances seemingly disappear when they eat in Europe. This problem stems from the differences in food regulations. In the U.S., glyphosate – a herbicide – is used in wheat production while it is not allowed in Europe. In a study focused on celiac disease, it was found that glyphosate may contribute to digestive issues reminiscent of celiac disease, suggesting these issues deemed to be gluten intolerances may be due to differences in wheat production in the U.S.

Similarly, TikTok users claim their lactose intolerance issues disappear while in Europe. Lactose intolerance is another major issue in the U.S, with an estimated 30-50 million people struggling with it. The effects of growth hormones that are typically used for dairy production in the U.S. are lacking in research, so it’s hard to pinpoint why people may not experience difficulties with dairy while in Europe.

Personal Experiences in Europe

Over the summer, I studied in Belgium and Amsterdam. Immediately, I noticed major differences in food. One of the first things that caught my attention was how quickly our food spoiled. Strawberries, different vegetables and bread went bad in a few days. My classmates and I joked about how much money we wasted, but we were also a little disturbed, realizing the shelf life we’re used to back home was  made possible through preservatives.

Though I’m not lactose intolerant, I’m sensitive to a lot of dairy and try to avoid it when possible. In Belgium, cheese and bread is very popular with a lot of meals. In the U.S., I often feel lethargic and bloated after eating a form of bread, but this never happened in Belgium or Amsterdam. I was never irritated with cheese nor milk in my coffee, either.

Exercise and stress levels play major roles in digestion. On average, Europeans walk much more than Americans. Walking can help aid an easier and more comfortable digestion. Americans may also notice easier digestion when abroad because their stress levels are lower. Being immersed in a new environment, typically on vacation and away from obligations at home, will lower stress, in turn helping digestion. During my time in Europe, walking was my main mode of transportation. I walked an average of 8 miles a day, which is double what I typically walk in America.

Though exercise and stress levels are important factors to consider, so are the different regulations regarding additives. Research conducted in the U.S. and Europe suggest that processed foods with higher levels of additives put consumers at a higher risk for many chronic diseases such as cancer. The FDA’s easygoing regulations begs the question, are consumers’ best interests and expectations being prioritized? Scientific studies on food additives and consumer experiences suggest not.