Photo illustration by Roberto Soto; Source photograph TikTok and Pixabay

TikTok’s Domestic Dream: Stay-at-Home Moms

TikTok stay-at-home moms construct a narrative of domestic bliss, perfect parenting, and enviable lifestyles that shapes perceptions of modern motherhood.

The stay-at-home moms on TikTok refers to a popular and widespread trend where mothers show their lives online as homemakers. Their content is their family life, daily routines and parenting tips. Their “day in the life” videos offer a glimpse into their households. Mom influencers on TikTok create content that paints an alluring picture of their lives and seemingly harmonious family dynamics. Stay-at-home moms are very skilled at utilizing various techniques to craft this fantasy. Their aesthetic choices play a crucial role from impeccably styled homes to picture-perfect family moments, and expertly curated visuals that contribute to the illusion of an idealized life. 

The art of selective sharing is another technique employed by these creators. While it’s common for social media users to show the audience their best moments, stay-at-home mom influencers take this to the next level, carefully excluding any imperfections. Clever editing, background music, and strategic camera angles further enhance the allure. This creates an illusion of flawlessness, inviting viewers into a world where chaos is conspicuously absent. Aesthetics aside, the rise of the stay-at-home mom trend takes on a profound significance, in contrast to the recent surge of girlboss feminism. In recent years, the concept of the girlboss has become synonymous with a new wave of feminism. Women were encouraged to break through glass ceilings, shatter gender norms, and embrace leadership roles in the workplace. Empowerment was equated with professional success and independence; seen as a response to traditional gender roles aimed to redefine women’s roles in society.

The rise of stay-at-home moms online shows that things are reverting. Modern women are questioning whether the idea of professional success should be the sole measure of empowerment. A growing number of individuals, particularly on platforms like TikTok, are redefining feminism to include choices that reflect personal fulfillment rather than adhering to preconceived notions of success. These creators, once considered outliers in the feminist conversation, are now challenging the narrative by showcasing the joy and fulfillment found in traditional homemaking roles.

This shift towards embracing diverse expressions of feminism reflects a broader understanding that empowerment takes many forms. Stay-at-home mom influencers are contributing to a redefinition of feminism that includes choices that were often dismissed in earlier waves of the movement. Modern feminists are now advocating for the right to choose, recognizing that empowerment lies in the autonomy to make your own decisions. Personal choices that align with an individual’s values and aspirations.

These videos don’t garner thousands of views just because the attitudes towards stay-at-home moms are changing. With 1 in 4 TikTok users being under 20 years old and the #SAHM (an acronym for “stay-at-home mom”) garnering 24.1 billion views, these videos are not only consumed by other moms but also by young people often far from starting a family. So why do they consume this type of content? The answer is simple, it offers a sense of escapism. In the fast-paced and demanding environment of modern life, escapism has become a coping mechanism for many seeking relief from the complexities and stressors of life. The SAHM content has become a digital refuge, allowing individuals to momentarily detach from the problems of their own lives. 

People also find themselves attracted to the idea of imagining their lives like the women in these videos. The “day in the life” trend basically shows how a stay-at-home mom spends her day. Most of these videos show a nuclear family who appear to be financially stable. It seems like these moms always have time to do their hair and makeup and choose a cozy but stylish outfit while also getting their toddlers ready, of course without any setbacks, and finally run errands while making it look fun. Who wouldn’t want that life?

These fantasies, while seemingly harmless, can have a profound impact on certain viewers. Motherhood is a deeply personal and multifaceted experience, yet the curated content of stay-at-home moms on TikTok can lead to comparison among viewers. Mothers who are navigating the complexities of parenting, may find themselves inadvertently measuring their own achievements against the “perfect” lives depicted online. The content produced by stay-at-home moms raises important questions about the fine line between reality and fiction. While creators may argue that they are simply sharing the positive aspects of their lives, it can be considered that this portrayal of motherhood perpetuates an unattainable standard and contributes to the myth of the perfect mom

The rise of stay-at-home mom creators and their appeal is evidence of the changing ideals about empowerment, parenting, and femininity. The impact extends beyond the screen, influencing conversations and contributing to a nuanced understanding of empowerment in the 21st century. In the midst of this digital revolution, the rise of stay-at-home mom creators stands as a testament to the power of online content, redefining the perception of modern womanhood one TikTok at a time.

Karla D. Galvan, The University of Texas at San Antonio

Karla Galvan

The University of Texas at San Antonio
Communication, Minor in Marketing

"I am a college student majoring in Communication with a passion for writing and an interest in anything pop culture, especially music and film!"