The ‘Teen Titans’ Are Getting Revamped in the New Live Action ‘Titans’

Say goodbye to Batman, because Robin is taking control.

The sidekick superhero has appeared from the shadow of his mentor and is ready to fight his own battles. Now known as Nightwing, Dick Grayson (Brenton Thwaites), formerly known as Robin, will take on the role as leader of the Titans as they fight against evil. Grayson has become a police officer and takes his duties to a whole new level when he violently attacks criminals to save others.

This live-action adaptation of the animated series “Teen Titans” will feature familiar characters such as Starfire (Anna Diop), Beast Boy (Ryan Potter), Raven (Teagan Croft) and Dove (Minka Kelly).

Minka Kelly talked about her character on a radio show, specifically focusing on Dove’s fighting style. She said “I have a background in ballet, in gymnastics, and jiu-jistu, so I’m pretty talented. So I can fight, and I have a super suit and I have wings. I have 30-pound wings that I wear that — I can’t fly because they try — it’s realistic as possible. I can’t fly, because that would not be realistic, you know?”

Greg Berlanti, who is famous for other works like “The Flash,” “Green Lantern” and “Arrow” will produce the series. However, “Titans” will take a darker and more violent twist than other shows, and Nightwing can be seen cracking necks as he pummels his enemies in brutal fight scenes. When one criminal asks where Batman is, Nightwing drops the F-bomb to show how he now feels about his former partner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PPofXaJ4go

Along with the announcement of this new show comes an announcement about DC’s newest streaming platform, called DC Universe. According to Variety, the show will be the first original series scripted solely for DC Universe.

The annual subscription for this platform will cost $74.99, and a monthly subscription is $7.99 per month. Fans will have exclusive access to digital comics, a DC encyclopedia, a message board and special DC merchandise and awards. Fans will also be able to access a collection of popular movies and television shows, like “Batman: The Animated Series” and the original “Wonder Woman.”

Fans will also have access to two other live-action series called “Doom Patrol” and “Swamp Thing” as well as a new “Harley Quinn” series and the third season of “Young Justice” on the streaming service. The DC empire hopes that this streaming platform will be successful in providing fans with unique access and taking their interest to a whole new level.

Jim Lee, the DC Entertainment chief creative officer, said, “We know that we have lots and lots of fans, and we hope that by delivering an awesome experience, a lot of them will subscribe to the service.”

“Titans” is expected to be released this fall on the new streaming service.

Alexis Rogers, Temple University

Alexis Rogers

Temple University
Journalism and Spanish