In an article about Smile, an illustration of a character

‘Smile’ Is a Unique, Refreshing Horror Film Coming to Theaters Soon

Everything you need to know about the cast, plot, trailer and director of the psychological thriller before its September debut.

The trailer is out for Paramount’s horror-thriller “Smile,” and movie fans are ecstatic. Here are all the details you need to know about the cast, plot, director and release date.

About the Director

“Smile” is directed and written by Parker Finn in his directorial debut, and the movie is based on his short film “Laura Hasn’t Slept,” which won the Special Jury Recognition Prize for SXSW’s Midnight Short category. The 11-minute short film follows a young woman, Laura (Caitlin Stasey), as she seeks the help of her therapist, Dr. Parsons (Lew Temple), after experiencing a reoccurring nightmare in which she is visited by a scary man whose appearance changes with every dream.

Plot of “Smile”

Drawing inspiration from “Laura Hasn’t Slept,” “Smile” is about a therapist, Dr. Rose Cotter (Sosie Bacon), who starts helping a patient (also played by Stasey) after she develops a creepy smile. The patient then goes into a violent outburst and takes her own life. Afterward, Dr. Cotter tries to cope with the trauma and move on, but she sees a pattern of similar events with other patients, which leads her to investigate.

According to ScreenRant, “Cotter eventually determines that these patients develop their freaky smiles a few days after seeing the entity, quickly realizing that her pursuit of the case is putting her life in danger.” The person who is being terrorized by the supernatural entity dies exactly a week later. But she later finds a prisoner (Rob Morgan) who survived the paranormal entity, which makes her optimistic that she might survive. The trailer for “Smile” may remind viewers of “The Ring,” which is directed by Gore Verbinski, but I think this movie will be more exciting and have new twists.

“Smile” Release Date

“Smile” will be in theaters on Sept. 30, and will eventually be available for streaming. This is one of the most highly anticipated scary movies of the year, and I, for one, can’t wait. “Smile” looks like it will be a unique and refreshing horror film, and you can watch the trailer now on YouTube.

Morgan Thomas, Wayne State University

Morgan Thomas

Wayne State University
Print and Online Journalism

My name is Morgan Thomas and I am a senior at Wayne State University. I am majoring in print and online journalism and I have a minor in film.