In an article about "Don't Let Her Stay" by Nicola Sanders, main character Joanne treads down steps, holding her child Evie.

‘Don’t Let Her Stay’ Should Be Your Next Thriller Read

The book that debuted earlier this year is officially trending.

This article contains minor spoilers for “Don’t Let Her Stay.”

The ‘unputdownable’ psychological, “Don’t Let Her Stay” by Nicola Sanders, should be the next book to add to your TBR (to be read) on Goodreads. Dreamscape Media published the book in March 2023 and it has already accumulated a strong fanbase. On social media, influencers have been celebrating the book, sharing their interest with their followers. On TikTok, users say the book made them “feel gaslit the entire time.” For anyone looking to branch out into the thriller genre or simply fulfill their book quota for the year, the 286-pager will have you hooked.

The story follows new mother Joanne, taking time off from her career to become a stay-at-home mom. Married to Richard, Joanne lives the ideal, picturesque life in a dream home. The first few pages give the impression of contemporary romance plot. As the story escalates, “Don’t Let Her Stay” involves so much more drama, lies and commotion that will constantly have you questioning everything, even yourself. 

Though Richard and Joanne have their daughter Evie, Richard actually has a 21-year-old daughter, Chloe, from his past marriage. After Chloe chooses to reenter his life, Joanne’s life is turned upside down. Joanne quickly finds out that Chloe does not like her. Her tone is consistently rude, often making degrading remarks. Chloe constant gaslights Joanne, lying and sneaking around behind her back. Once Joanne reports all these lies to Richard, he doesn’t believe her and appears to be oblivious towards his own daughter’s behavior.

Early in the book, Joanne decides to remotely return to her job. The couple make an arrangement with the unwilling Chloe to babysit Evie when needed. On her first day back on the job, Joanne is on a video call when Evie begins to wail. The sound progressively grows louder, rendering Joanne unable to concentrate. She goes to tend to her daughter, only to find that Chloe has completely disappeared. Once the afternoon passes, Joanne confronts Chloe about her irresponsibility, but Chloe claims Joanne never asked her to babysit on that particular day. As the reader, it is absolutely clear that the conversation did take place. However, Chloe completely lies and accuses Joanne of having memory loss.

Later on, when Joanne reports the incident back to Richard, he dismisses her and deems it a “misunderstanding.” With each chapter, the reader grows more aware that Richard is either oblivious to his daughter’s behavior or is confused by her. Because Joanne’s own mother suffered from paranoia post-birth, Richard conveniently chooses to blame any of Joanne’s issues on her mother’s poor mental health. This is one of the many instances where Joanne is gaslit by Chloe and unintentionally her husband.

Ominous events continue to take place as the story progresses. The maddening read is only worsened by Richard’s complete disregard for what Chloe is doing right under his nose. His inability to acknowledge any wrongdoing on Chloe’s behalf is aggravating with each issue that arises.

What really makes “Don’t Let Her Stay” worth it is all the twists in the plot. Once Joanne begins to feel unsafe around Chloe, she digs into her past, discovering a lot surrounding Richard’s past wife and yet another child. She finds that both mysteriously died when Chloe was present. As the reader, you begin to connect the dots yourself and realize that Chloe really is up to something peculiar.

In a shocking turn of events, Joanne finds out that Chloe might just be the wrong person she was worrying about. While someone is, in fact, trying to kill her and her baby, she might have had it wrong the entire time –– or does she? You can only really experience the constant wanes and waxes of this novel with a thorough read. Until the very last page, your mouth will be agape from the details that feel too scary to even read. The ending leads to the answers all readers will be looking forward to. The person who really is out to kill Joanne is revealed but when you think it is all over, an even bigger plot twist really takes the cake. Nicola Sanders successfully shocks you and really puts meaning to the title of this work.

So far, Sanders has only published two works during her career as a writer. “Don’t Let Her Stay” has pleasantly surprised many readers and proven that the hype over the thriller is worth every page. In fact, within just a couple of months, GoodReads users ranked the book at a four out of five star rating. ‘Booktokers’ – a community of readers on TikTok who share their thoughts on bookish material – have recommended this novel profusely.

“Don’t Let Her Stay” is just one of the books that you cannot put down. The ominous thriller is a sensational read and one that will be absolutely worth it. There truly are so many rabbit holes to dive through that will be worth your time.

Adding this book to your TBR is a must! Caution – this book will either have you hysterically laughing to yourself in annoyance or ripping your hair out in frustration.

Ally Najera, California State University, Northridge

Editor

Ally Najera

California State University, Northridge
Broadcast Journalism, Minor in Marketing

I am currently studying broadcast journalism and minoring in marketing. I read religiously and love watching films. I am very passionate about words. I live and breathe pop culture – and love to share my thoughts.