Kim Possible live action
(Image via Popsugar)

‘Kim Possible’ Live Action Cast Announcement Leaves Fans Unsatisfied

Although fans of the cartoon are excited for the upcoming 'Kim Possible' live action movie, some people aren't too happy with the casting.

Disney recently revealed its cast for the new “Kim Possible” live action film that’s currently in the works. The iconic duo of Kim Possible and Ron Stoppable were the only roles that were announced on the April 25, gathering a vast amount of reactions from fans.

Despite some people being wary of the live action film being made at all, fans had already spent some months speculating — even arguing — about their dream cast for the roles of their favorite characters, so they were more than ready for the reveal.

Sadie Stanley is set to star as Kim Possible and Sean Giambrone is set to become her lovable sidekick and best friend Ron Stoppable. Stanley, age 16, got her first role ever with Kim Possible while Giambrone, age 18, currently stars in ABC’s comedy “The Goldbergs,” which will go back into production after the film is finished.

The announcement revealing the teen stars was done through a short video with original voice actors Christy Carlson Romano, voice of Kim, and Will Friedle, voice of Ron, acting like they were “auditioning” for the animated characters they’d voiced.

The clip ended with the directors revealing they already had a couple of kids in mind, even asking for the opinion of the two older actors who wholeheartedly approved of their choices.

The reveal of the two teens not only caused contrasting reactions between fans, it also caused a bit of controversy centered around their looks, specifically how they don’t exactly look like everyone’s favorite teen heroes.

While many fans expressed their excitement over the casting and how the film is being made in general, a surge of backlash also came with the announcement of the two lead roles. So many people — many of whom are adults now, as they grew up with “Kim Possible” — complained, insulted and made fun of the casting of the two kids.

It makes sense for fans to want live action films to depict a beloved show or movie as accurately as possible, but it’s also not realistic or fair to do so. It’s especially not fair to beginner actors who are barely getting their start to receive hate from adults that are being petty because the kids don’t look exactly like a cartoon.

Current Riverdale star and former Disney Channel star Cole Sprouse expressed eloquently in a tweet his response to the casting drama. Sprouse, by now an experienced actor, is known as someone who isn’t afraid to voice his opinion, and he definitely let the petulant complainers of the casting know what was on his mind.

“Lots of adults in this post directing hate towards a couple of kids simply because their cartoon doesn’t look the same anymore,” Sprouse wrote, “You guys need to grow the hell up and realize you’re talking about kids who are likely happy to have gotten the job. Kids who, in some way, might hear you.”

The fact of the matter is that his words ring true and it is shameful to see young adults get so much hate over something so minuscule as looks, something that might easily be fixed for the film with cosmetics or wigs, from grown adults that should know better. The fact that Sprouse had to remind people of this is saddening and also telling of how frivolous and shallow people can get.

Again, it is understandable to want things to look as accurate as possible especially, if it’s something you grew up with, but that is no excuse to ridicule and send hate to others. Besides, it’s called the magic of film for a reason. Wigs, contacts and make up are all things that exist in order to help actors look like their characters.

Judy Taylor, Disney Channel Casting and Talent Relations senior vice president, also remains steadfast in the casting choices, sharing exactly why the two teens were chosen for the roles with Oh My Disney.

“Sadie delivers Kim’s confidence, smarts and agility; most importantly, she’s an everyday girl with an extraordinary spirit. Sean is such a magnetic actor; he always finds the right balance of physical comedy and heart. We’re excited for audiences to see Sadie and Sean bring these iconic roles to life,” she stated.

“Kim Possible” was a loved show about a young, normal teenage girl who ended up saving the world every once in a while. That’s all these young actors want to bring to life and it is something they should be given a chance to do.

Besides, no matter how much you loved the show when you were a kid, that’s exactly who this remake is for in the first place: kids. Children of the new generation will now be able to enjoy a new, updated and slightly different version of a show that gained a lot of love and respect.

Production for the remake is set to begin this summer, with its debut lining up for 2019. Both teen stars are sure to do their best, but regardless of whether it ends up a masterpiece or not, people should still be respectful and remember that the actors are underage and the movie isn’t meant for adults — no matter how much nostalgia it creates.

Remakes are always hit or miss, especially for diehard fans, but remakes like “Kim Possible” are to pay homage to the original and to have fun fitting it into the modern world. Who knows? The “Kim Possible” remake might end up surprising everyone for the better.

Valeria Garcia, University of Texas at Austin

Valeria Garcia

University of Texas at Austin
English Major, Creative Writing Minor