"Playing with Fire" - Danny takes on a personal case involving a drug cartel member, Louis Delgado (Lou Diamond Phillips, pictured), who Danny believes is responsible for torching his house, and Erin is given a promotion in the DA's office but finds herself in a challenging situation when both Danny and Jamie ask her for help with their investigations. Also, Frank (Tom Selleck, pictured) and Jaime have a disagreement when Jamie refuses to stop riding with Eddie, on the ninth season premiere of BLUE BLOODS, Friday, September 28 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Aasif Mandvi guest stars as Samar "Sam" Chatwal, Erin's co-worker who has his eye on the open DA seat. Also pictured: Marisa Ramirez as Set. Maria Baez. Photo: John Paul Filo/CBS ©2018CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

The 3 Best Characters in ‘Blue Bloods,’ Hands Down

One Reagan to rule them all.

“Blue Bloods” has been on TV since 2010, and with nine seasons to its name, it is clearly a successful show. Most readers know exactly what I’m talking about when I say “Blue Bloods” — if you don’t binge the show on Netflix, you’ve probably caught an episode here and there on cable. But for the readers that have no idea what I’m talking about when I write “the Reagan Family Business,” here is the shakedown.

The Reagans are a family of Irish descent that live in New York City, consisting of a great-grandfather (Henry Reagan,) his son (Francis Reagan,) three grandchildren (Jameson Reagan, Erin Reagan and Danny Reagan) and his three great-grandchildren (Nicole Boyle-Reagan, Jack Reagan and Sean Reagan).

What makes this family so unique, other that its large size, is their legacy. The family is very well-known in law enforcement; Henry was the police commissioner before Frank, Danny is a NYPD detective, Jamie is a police sergeant and Erin is a DA (district attorney.) Now that that is all cleared up, here are the three most influential characters in “Blue Bloods.

1. Danny Reagan

Danny Reagan is a New York Police Department detective throughout the entire show. He is mostly well-known as the oldest living sibling of the Reagan family and a detective with one of the highest “case-closed” file numbers. He joined the “family business” permanently after he came back from Marines.

What makes Danny so influential is that he’s the rebel child. Being the oldest of Reagan siblings, one would expect him to be the most responsible. However, this is not the case. Although Danny has record numbers for closing cases as a detective, he often does it by questionable means.

Because of his instinct to protect others, as well as his “hook up” in One PP, the NYPD does not investigate him; instead, they even go great lengths to defend him when he’s under investigation by the district attorney’s office.

2. Erin Reagan

Erin Reagan, formerly Erin Reagan-Boyle, is a powerful woman, to say the least. Throughout the series, she rose through the ranks of the DA: becoming chief assistant for the Manhattan district attorney’s office, and eventually rising to bureau chief for the Manhattan district attorney’s office.

Not only is she a career-oriented woman, she is also a single mother. Within the first seasons of “Blue Bloods” (before her daughter went to college in Columbia), Erin had to raise Nicole (Nicky) with little help from her ex-husband. As a result, Erin had to face all the difficulties by herself: Nicky’s boyfriends, parties and college tuition.

Toward the end of Season 4 and the beginning of Season 5, Nicky was applying to colleges that cost a minimum of $60,000 per year. With no financial support from Nicky’s father, Erin was even considering leaving her position at the DA’s office in order to make more money as a corporate or defense lawyer.

The sacrifices that Erin makes throughout “Blue Bloods” are worthy of admiration. She is an amazing chief bureau and a wonderful mother. Her success throughout the show is inspiring. It is tough, but yes, it is possible to be a loving single parent and have a wildly successful career.

3. Francis Reagan

Francis (Frank) Reagan is arguably the most inspiring character in “Blue Bloods.” He is, after all, the police commissioner of all five New York City boroughs, including Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Staten Island.

Frank is influential character in “Blue Bloods” not just because he is a police commissioner, but because he unites the Reagan Family. He never misses a Sunday dinner with the family and when problems arise (such as Erin’s financial issues), he is the one to go to for help and advice.

Not only can Frank Reagan teach about the importance of family, he makes one hell of an ethics professor. As a police commissioner, throughout the nine seasons of “Blue Bloods,”  Frank had to deal not only with family problems, but with numerous ethical issues as well.

One such ethical dilemma was his stance on state versus church. Frank, being of Irish descent, is a hardcore Catholic. When problems regarding religion arise, newspapers and public question Frank’s views. However, he is never afraid to state his beliefs: that the church shouldn’t influence the state.

The last, and perhaps the most important reason that Frank Reagan is so awe-inspiring, are his infamous quotes. When Frank was speaking to Reverend Potter, a man against the Police Commissioner from the beginning, Frank states, “I’m going to give you the respect you don’t give me.” That is just the type of man that Frank Reagan is, a man everyone should aspire to be.

The Reagan family can be considered one of the most inspiring families, even if they only exist on a screen. The impact that characters like Danny, Erin and Frank Reagan can have on families and individuals is drastic. If the Reagans don’t make you want to join their family by this point, you might be compelled to start taking notes for your own.