New Year's Resolutions 2020

6 New Year’s Resolutions You Won’t Hear About at Parties

Go rogue with your 2020 goals.

As the end of the year approaches, everyone is starting to talk about their goals for the next trip around the sun. Every year, you hear the same New Year’s resolutions: lose weight, live in the moment, and spend less money and more time with family.

However, not only is this the end of another year, it’s the end of the decade. The Neo-Roaring Twenties are right around the corner, so now is the opportunity to try out some fresh resolutions for the new decade. And if the timeliness of this change isn’t convincing enough, consider that the typical New Year’s resolutions are also commonly broken. What’s the point of setting the same unattainable goal year after year?

So, try something different in 2020 and check out these resolutions not many are talking about.

1. Love Your Body

Everyone talks about losing weight at the end of the year, and it can get exhausting after a while. Then, over the next few months, gyms become overcrowded until people inevitably discover that they cannot commit to their original goal. So, skip the weight loss resolution and commit to body positivity instead.

The great thing about this resolution is that it looks a bit different for everybody. For some, it means going to the doctor more often, meditating daily or doing a skincare routine. And yet, for others, it results in going to the gym or eating healthier, but the shared, central end-all is one’s commitment to loving and taking care of your body.

2. Save The Planet

Now more than ever, humans need to partake in environmentally responsible practices. However, not everyone can make the same adjustments in their life. The good news is there are a lot of ways to be kinder to Mother Earth. Try going vegan or vegetarian, or even just cutting back on animal products. If you can’t cut out meat, look at sourcing your goods from ethical companies.

Other options for going green include cutting carbon emissions and reducing waste. Reassess your commuting options. If you drive a car, can you afford to take the bus or train once in a while? How can you cut down on single-use plastics and disposable serving ware?

If you’re not sure how to answer these questions, try Oroecco, a free app that measures your carbon footprint based on your input of day-to-day activities. Once it has your profile, the app will make suggestions as to how to reduce your emissions.

3. Go Off the Grid

This might be the easiest New Year’s resolution to get onboard with, but perhaps the hardest to make happen. Between school, work and whatever other commitments loaded onto your plate, it’s likely you have little time or finances to take a trip. But if you can somehow swing it, you’ll thank yourself later. There is a myriad reasons to take a vacation, such as decreasing stress and improving productivity upon return.

But a vacation doesn’t have to be flying to an overwater bungalow in Tahiti; it can be as simple as taking a weekend trip to the city or even hosting a staycation in bed for the day. The important part is time away from your regular duties, giving your body a chance to rest and your mind the time to rejuvenate.

4. Cut Off Siri

Cell phones have become a digital extension of ourselves. The average cellphone user spends 3 hours and 15 minutes per day on their devices, which adds up to about 49 days per year. We rely on the aid of technology for everything: navigation, communication and simply researching facts to instantly answer our questions. Using technology as a tool is not inherently bad, but we are becoming dependent on using our devices as a crutch. One study from the BBC revealed that young people in particular demonstrate addictive behavior toward their phones.

If you have the privilege, try to cut back on phone usage next year. Using screen time monitoring apps like Space, RescueTime or App Detox helps you set goals to reduce the time spent looking at your phone. Delete social media apps off your phone and keep the tech out of the bedroom. You’ll feel less bogged down and more productive.

5. Be A Better Friend

Many New Year’s resolution lists repeatedly mention making new friends or meeting new people as must-dos for the upcoming year, but what about working on your existing circle? When it comes to relationships, quality reigns over quantity. When was the last time you called your best friend or had lunch with your sister?

That rings true within relationships as well. Maintaining a friendship or familial bond doesn’t always mean spending as much time as possible with each other. Rather, maximize the amount of quality time you enjoy with your loved ones. This can be an activity you both enjoy, or simply hanging out and engaging in meaningful conversation. Either way, what your 2020 social life needs might be a strengthening of bonds, not an increase in numbers.

6. Focus On You

You spend the most amount of time with yourself, yet not nearly enough quality time. If there’s one relationship you should invest in, it’s the one with yourself. When was the last time you did something just for you?

Make that change in 2020. Be intentional about setting aside time devoted to doing things you want to do. Maybe you’ve always wanted to take a yoga class or start a new audiobook. Even doing something as simple as window shopping downtown is great for getting some solid one-on-one time with yourself.

We’re approaching the end of one decade and the beginning of a new one. Skip the outdated and overdone New Year’s resolutions and transform 2020 into a year of unexpected ideas, achievable goals and remarkable experiences worthy of the modern era.