In an article about 'Speak Now (Taylor's Version),' Swift, clad in a frilly purple dress, gazes at the viewer over her shoulder as her curly hair ripples against a background of purple splotches and the album title in cursive letters.

Hidden Narratives in the ‘Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)’ Vault Tracks

The songs that didn't make the cut the first time around prove that, even at 18, Swift knew her way around a melody.

Since 2019, renowned singer-songwriter Taylor Swift has proudly begun reclaiming ownership of all her music. Swift’s path to complete possession of her discography entails re-recording and re-releasing her first six studio albums so that she can manage the production and distribution of all the music she’s made since age 16.

Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)” is the most recent album that Swift has reproduced and secured the rights to. Preceded by “Fearless (Taylor’s Version)” and “Red (Taylor’s Version),” this record marks the halfway point of Swift’s efforts to successfully recover her old music. “Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)” is especially significant considering the initial 2010 release was Swift’s first album as a sole writer, demonstrating her mastery of the craft.

“(From The Vault)” Tracks

One of the most enticing aspects of Swift’s re-recorded albums is her addition of “(From The Vault)” tracks. The songs are hidden gems that Swift developed at the time of the album’s original release but decided to exclude in the final record. She has unlocked them “from the vault” and finally introduces them to fans around the world. The concept of new, never-before-heard music has thrilled Swifties everywhere ever since “Fearless (Taylor’s Version)” introduced the first six “(From The Vault)” songs in 2021.

Hidden away for 13 years, six previously unreleased vault tracks debuted alongside the original 16 “Speak Now” songs as part of “Speak Now (Taylor’s Version).” Among the tracks, every Swiftie can find a new favorite tune. With two guest features, a potential name drop and an unprecedented account of seduction, the final six tracks deliver a variety of sounds and stories.

“Electric Touch (feat. Fall Out Boy) (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)”

Two dedicated fan bases converge on the track “Electric Touch (feat. Fall Out Boy) (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault).” Fall Out Boy’s alt-rock atmosphere partners with Swift’s lyrical pop to tell a two-sided tale of longing and desperate hope. Listeners hear the story of one of Swift’s first dates, where she casually reveals that it’s “just the first time ever hanging out with” a new guy. 

Swift admits that she’s “got [her] money on things going badly” — a prediction based on her “history of stories ending sadly.” Pessimism fails to get the best of her, though. Despite Swift’s past, she’s “got a feeling [her date’s] electric touch” has the potential to switch up her narrative forever. Whoever this person is, he’s instilled a newfound sense of confidence in Swift.

A comparable sentiment lies at the heart of her date’s mindset, played by Fall Out Boy’s Patrick Stum. The object of Swift’s adoration confesses, “Every time I tried hard for love, it fell apart.” He has yet to give in to total discouragement, however. Hopeful, he acknowledges, “Still, I know that all it takes is to get it right / Just one time.” Disregarding his defeats in love, the lover believes that she could be the one to change his life. 

“I Can See You (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)”

Vault track number three, “I Can See You (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault),” is a steamy song about seduction — one of Swift’s first flirtations with eroticism. Guitar riffs meet a building drum beat, a perfect bed for Swift’s sensual and smoky voice glide on. The ballad recounts a recurring daydream that Swift has about a crush. Her dream lover fails to notice that Swift has been “watching [him] for ages” and spends her time “trying not to feel it.” 

His lack of action fails to keep Swift from fantasizing him “up against the wall with [her.]” The sexual innuendos only intensify as the song progresses. In one of her characteristically illustrious bridges, she finally affirms, “I could see you being my addiction.” Fantasies about the two’s chemistry playing out consume Swift’s time. Her next stage just might be complete obsession. 

“Foolish One (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)”

Foolish One (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)” finds Swift suffering endless disappointments as her love interest strings her along. She discloses, “You give me just enough attention to keep my hopes too high.” The object of Swift’s attention proves to be a guy who leads her on and never gives her real commitment. In denial, Swift feigns imperviousness as she clutches the bare minimum. Knowingly, she claims, “I will do my best to seem bulletproof.”     

In time, the voices in Swift’s head capture her attention. Internally confronting the truth, she repeats to herself: “You are not the exception / You will never learn your lesson.” After Swift’s love interest once again fails to reciprocate her outward affection, Swift resigns the potential for possession of this guy. In the end, however, Swift finds strength in her ability to find “the one” someday. She asserts, “The day is gonna come for your confessions of love / . . . he just wasn’t the one.” Undeterred by relentless heartbreak, Swift finds peace in knowing that her match is out there.

The Overarching Narrative

The “Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)” vault tracks manifest Swift’s hope for true love in three different scenarios: promise, yearning and, ultimately, doom. Swift manages to seamlessly weave themes that teach lessons of substance throughout her writing. Based on her own experiences in love and life, Swift’s lessons bring light to the struggles of lovesick individuals everywhere through eloquent and catchy songs.

Swift was, and perhaps still is, a hopeless romantic who knows her way around a melody. Three unmentioned vault tracks still beg for further exploration. Stories about a particularly perfect girl, the weight of an empire falling and an enduring love lie waiting for listeners to hear and dissect. Grab some headphones, press play and listen to the poetry and poise that Swift possessed when she was only 20.

Be careful. The sparks will fly instantly. 

Sarah Deavers, University of Virginia

Sarah Deavers

University of Virginia
Media Studies