In this article about TV Girl, a person plays the harp with conspicuous melancholy.

‘Grapes on The Vine’ is TV Girl’s Latest Experimental Sound Feat

The indie pop group explores new musical territories with its latest album.

TV Girl is an indie pop band known for their dreamy, lo-fi sound and clever lyrical storytelling. Formed in Los Angeles, California back in 2010, the band consists of Brad Petering, who serves as the primary songwriter and vocalist and Jason Wyman, who contributes to the production and instrumentation.

TV Girl’s music consists of bedroom pop, indie pop and sample-based music. Through dreamy melodies and clever wordplay, TV Girl tells stories of bittersweet love and everyday experiences, tinted by melancholy or withdrawn hope.

The band’s debut album, “French Exit” was released in 2014, receiving critical acclaim for its infectious melodies and distinctive way of seamlessly melding samples and original compositions. This was followed by “Who Really Cares” in 2016 and “Death of a Party Girl” in 2019 which leaned further into TV Girl’s inventive use of samples, hazy soundscapes and evocative songwriting.

With “Grapes Upon the Vine,” TV Girl approaches a topic they have yet to explore—religion. Throughout the album, TV Girl uses sampling from church choirs to supplement their religiously-skewed lyrics. The album’s tracks lean more into hip-hop and gospel music, utilizing heavily layered and distinct tone coloring. The album not only showcases the band’s musical versatility but also highlights their growth as artists unafraid to challenge themselves and their listeners, delivering an album that invites introspection and ignites a sense of awe.

I’ll Be Faithful” sets the tone for the rest of the album. The lyrics “It was water or wine whatever you paid for?” allude to religion, while leaning into TV Girl’s most popular topic—love. The protagonist repeats “I’ll be faithful,” as a response to their own questions about the state of their relationship. The protagonist wonders what their relationship is founded on, ultimately remaining infatuated and loyal. The song’s depiction of love alludes to God’s unconditional love where, in spite of any sins, love and loyalty never dissipate. The lyrics are placed on a bed of upbeat, layered instruments supported by choral sampling.

The fifth song in the album, “Shame,” plays on the interesting structure of the emotion of shame. TV Girl stays consistent with their upbeat soundtrack, with piano playing a heavier role in this song in particular. It reflects the shame that comes with disappointment – “A drinking woman lies, we fuck and we fetishize, we get clean and testify, we relapse and we justify.” Despite being aware of their mistakes, the protagonist is stuck in an endless cycle of mistakes.

The protagonist of this song draws the conclusion that their relationship with their lover had to end as they lament: “We just can’t get along and it’s a shame.” The bridge ends with a melancholic aside, “When you’ve got nothing left to say/And so, you put it in a song, but you only wanted to explain that it’s a shame.” The protagonist knows the entire experience was bittersweet, but is still disappointed with the outcome.

In “Big Black Void,” the 8th and probably darkest song on this album, TV Girl explores the acceptance of one’s own death. Over an upbeat piano melody, they reflect on their time on Earth, thinking about everything that led them to their fate: “Sold my body for all it was worth/Still couldn’t buy peace on Earth” and “I tried money, I tried drugs/There’s no pill so translucent, ain’t no powder white enough.” Everything they indulged in during their life resulted in dissatisfaction. Nothing they tried was fruitful enough to keep them happy, referencing suicide at the start of the song. A choir responds, “I’m gonna go up to Heaven and meet my Lord,” to all of the protagonist’s declarations. The song is distinctly depressing while juxtaposing with the upbeat instrumental and clapping in the background.

“Grapes Upon the Vine” marks a significant departure from TV Girl’s previous albums which delved into themes of love, relationships and the bittersweet nuances of everyday life. The heavy religious allegories and gospel music sounds create a distinct sonic landscape, showcasing a profound evolution in the band’s artistic direction.

“Grapes Upon the Vine” is a unique and thought-provoking musical experience that pushes boundaries and deliver a captivating sonic journey.