Rob Lowe autobiographies

5 Fun Celebrity Autobiographies to Read This Summer

Remember reading for fun?

Between your reading for class and countless all-nighters spent studying, reading for pleasure can seem like a drag, but the summer is a great time to catch up. These wildly hilarious and wonderfully insightful celebrity autobiographies will give you a quick break from your usual reading and let you splash into summer feeling more informed.

So, if you find yourself with any free time this summer, check out any of these five amazing autobiographies.

1. “Yes, Please” by Amy Poehler

Venturing with Amy Poehler through her rise in the comedy ranks is a golden opportunity that features hysterical stories and more than a few name drops. Her hilarity knows no bounds, as she tells fascinating stories about her time at “Saturday Night Live” and the development of “Parks and Recreation.”

For any “Parks and Rec” fan, this is a must-read to gain insight about the show. Even for those who aren’t invested in Poehler’s work, her great jokes, knowledge on comedy and television and general wisdom still make this a great read for anyone interested in autobiographies.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bnl0-9cne_M/

Outside of her comedic style and brilliant wit, Poehler has a lot more to offer as a writer. By discussing her marriage and divorce, she gives advice on building strong relationships and remaining positive. As a mom, Poehler shows the less glamorous sides of her life without hesitation or deception.

Seeing both her successes and struggles makes this book a heart-gripper — the autobiography feels like a hilarious tell-all from your cool aunt. Her motto of “Yes, Please” is not only a great way to approach college, but a fantastic way to get the most out of life.

Tip: If possible, get the audiobook, as some of your favorite stars make a guest appearance!

2. “Never Have Your Dog Stuffed and Other Things I’ve Learned” by Alan Alda

Although Alan Alda is by no means the most current celebrity, he has worked in show business for a long time. As the star of the iconic sitcom “M*A*S*H,” Alda has no shortage of interesting life experiences, making his work one of the most compelling autobiographies. What makes the story stand out is his long-lasting relationship with wife, Arlene. Being married for over 50 years, Alda offers new ways to think about marriage and love.

Marriage and family development are a long way out for most college students, but it is never too early to learn about positive romantic relationships and long lasting friendships.

3. “Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls and Everything in Between” by Lauren Graham

Whether or not you’re a fan of Gilmore Girls, Lauren Graham is a treasure. She truly makes the best of her life, and seeing her experience as a young actress shows us a new side of her that can only be discovered through autobiographies. Her ventures through two successful television series highlight her career in Hollywood. With lessons about loving yourself, your work and your significant other, Graham proves to be funny and insightful.

Graham’s insight into her experiences on “Gilmore Girls” and “Parenthood” is worth your time. This is another great audiobook pick if you love the fast-talking antics of the lovely Lorelai Gilmore. The energy that Graham adds to her words through her voice makes this book an engaging audible experience.

4. “I’ve Got this Round” by Mamrie Hart

YouTube personality and comedian Mamrie Hart’s work is different from most of the other autobiographies featured on this list. As a newer person on the comedy scene with a background in bartending, Hart’s YouTube channel, titled “You Deserve a Drink,” has garnered over 1 million subscribers.

In her book, Hart focuses on stories that she has not featured on her channel before and that are appealing to a wider audience. If you haven’t seen her channel, the book is a great introduction to her comedy and offers humble advice from someone who is still figuring out their own life.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx0Nc07D7V4/

Hart admits that she doesn’t have all the answers, and her stories are relatable to college students. With her perfect mix of mess and success, Hart will make you feel like every small mistake isn’t a huge deal. Overall, the book feels like a cool older sister taking a you for a drink, with its perfect marriage of wisdom and comedy.

5. “Stories I Only Tell My Friends” by Rob Lowe

Most millennials and Gen Z students know Rob Lowe from “Parks and Recreation” and his other more recent ventures, but as a huge movie star in the 1980s and a member of the infamous “Brat Pack,” Rob Lowe has had nothing short of wild life experiences. From his first time meeting Charlie Sheen to his wild party days, Lowe’s story is incredibly engaging. His vivid writing style puts you into each of his tales, and Lowe makes the reader feel strong emotions throughout the book.

Each story will shock you in a different way. Many college students are concerned about living life to the fullest, an Lowe has definitely lived an adventurous life — reading about his personal stories will make you want to create fun memories of your own.

Although it is light-spirited in many places, this book won’t simply convince you to party all the time. Lowe has wonderful lessons about creating authenticity to share with the next generation of young people.