in article about spotify wrapped, image of a phone displaying the spotify homescreen

What Your Spotify Wrapped Says About You

Your taste in music is oftentimes reflective of who you are as a person.

Whether you are an Apple Music person or a Spotify person, you have probably heard of Spotify Wrapped. Once a year, Spotify determines which artists, songs and genres you listened to the most throughout the year and creates a fun recap of it all. For example, your Spotify Wrapped includes your top five artists ranked from the most to the least hours listened to. In this way, Spotify Wrapped is essentially a personalized list of your favorite music.

For some, Spotify Wrapped playlists may bring back different memories. Oftentimes people find themselves obsessed with a specific song for an extended period of time, and they blast it on repeat until they have memorized all the lyrics and get sick of it. They rarely ever listen to that specific song again — at least not until they hear it again randomly at a store, on the subway or on shuffle. Hearing an old favorite song can bring back the memory of the person you were when you listened to it nonstop. Think of a Christmas song you loved as a kid: When you stumble across it again, you are suddenly reminded of the time you spent listening to it when you were young.

Not only does music hold the power to bring back memories in an often bittersweet way, but it can also say a lot about who you are as a person. Lifestyle Asia writer Trinetra Paul said on the subject, “It is believed that one’s playlist and what they are mostly listening to speak volumes about their mindset and what can be called their ‘audio aura.’”

Have you ever noticed that the people you surround yourself with have the same music taste as you? We tend to surround themselves with others who have common interests to feel some type of familiarity.

If you’re like me, there isn’t a genre of music you dislike or even prefer over another. I listen to music based on my moods. We all know that country has the best songs if you are going through a breakup. Think of the iconic song by Carrie Underwood, “Before He Cheats.” However, genres like pop and rap may be best for parties and bars depending on which crowd you hang around. Jazz music is a great choice when you are feeling classy, and techno is best when you feel like raving. There are tons of music genres you can match to your mood based on whatever vibe you are going for. However, the music that you listen to the most will often describe what moods you experience the most, which can be linked to your personality type.

Researchers have suggested that “people have two ways of responding to the world: based on social cues (empathizing), and based on preset conceptions of how people think they should respond (systemizing).” A study found that people who preferred pop music were extroverted, honest and conventional, while people who preferred rock and heavy metal music could project anger and aggression but were actually gentle and had high levels of self-esteem. Additionally, people who preferred classical music were found to be extremely creative. This study showed that, beyond the top songs and artists featured in your Spotify Wrapped, the genre of music you prefer says a lot about your personality.

Music is something that is a part of everyone’s life in one way or another. Some people like to experience music live in concert. Every year, there are thousands of music festivals all around the globe. You may have heard of some of the most popular ones, such as Coachella in California, Ultra in Florida, the Governors Ball in New York City and Lollapalooza in Chicago. People are willing to pay a lot of money to listen to some of their favorite artists live — and, of course, for the ambiance.

Listening to music can also be a form of therapy for some people. Music therapy has been shown to be useful in treating a wide range of medical diseases, including cardiac issues, cancer, diabetes and dementia. It can also help people manage their physical pain, reduce stress, improve sleep and lower heart rate and blood pressure. The benefits of music are truly endless. So, whenever you feel stressed, try putting on something your ears will enjoy.

Pay close attention to the type of music you listen to. You can even use your Spotify Wrapped results for reference. Also, take a moment to recognize the type of music people around you listen to, and look for similarities. You may notice that your preferred music genres may relate to your personalities. So, get up and dance! Sing at the top of your lungs and embrace your music taste because it is something that can describe who you are as a person. And if you enjoy many — or even all types of music — consider yourself unique.

Valentina Palomino, SUNY Old Westbury

Valentina Palomino

SUNY Old Westbury

Hello, my name is Valentina Palomino. I am a student at SUNY Old Westbury. Some of my greatest passions include writing alongside with reading. Nothing better than snuggling up next to a good book!