Photo illustration by Roberto Soto, Source Photos via RCA, Republic Records, Top Dawg, Universal Latino, Instagram

“We Were Good, We Were Gold”: 66th Annual Grammy Awards Predictions

Predictions for music’s biggest night across 10 categories. 

Each year, music’s biggest names and exciting newcomers gather for an evening to celebrate the previous year of hard work and musical accomplishments. The Grammy Awards have been a cultural mainstay since 1959, often prompting triumph, celebration and controversy. Occasionally, the Recording Academy do get things right, but the annual ceremony has become notorious for snubs, blacklisting and its tendency to recognize white artists over their contemporaries of color. This year’s upcoming ceremony, set for February 4, promises some good competition in many of the main categories, and features an impressively female-dominated nominees list. 

Here’s who should—and shouldn’t—take home some of the night’s biggest awards.

Record Of The Year

Award to the Artist and to the Producer(s), Recording Engineer(s) and/or Mixer(s) and mastering engineer(s), if other than the artist.

Nominees: 

“Worship” by Jon Batiste

“Not Strong Enough” by boygenius

“Flowers” by Miley Cyrus

“What Was I Made For? [From The Motion Picture ‘Barbie’]” by Billie Eilish

“On My Mama” by Victoria Monét

“Vampire” by Olivia Rodrigo

“Anti-Hero” by Taylor Swift

“Kill Bill” by SZA 

Projected winner: “Flowers” by Miley Cyrus or “What Was I Made For? [From The Motion Picture ‘Barbie’]” by Billie Eilish. 

Both Cyrus and Eilish’s songs were not only pillars in pop music for much of last year, but each song has become a definitive standard in their respective catalogs. Cyrus’ “Flowers” topped the Billboard Hot 100 for eight weeks last year, and was practically inescapable. Whether you were scrolling on TikTok or listening to your car’s stereo, “Flowers” was never far. Eilish’s addition to the A-List “Barbie” soundtrack became an instant classic for its aching lyrics and for the star’s quiet yet impactful vocal restraint. Both of these songs have equally good a shot at the gold. 

Who should win: “Kill Bill” by SZA 

SZA’s “Kill Bill” took her deep love of film further than ever, in effect delivering a quintessential contemporary R&B breakup anthem. Her signature curly-cue delivery was pressed smooth for a brief-but-easy listen that not only dominated the charts, but was an immediate standout from her second studio album “SOS.” 

Winner: “Flowers” by Miley Cyrus

Album Of The Year 

Award to Artist(s) and to Featured Artist(s), Songwriter(s) of new material, Producer(s), Recording Engineer(s), Mixer(s) and Mastering Engineer(s) credited with 20% or more playing time of the album.

Nominees: 

World Music Radio  by Jon Batiste

the record  by boygenius

Endless Summer Vacation  by Miley Cyrus

Did You Know That There’s A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd  by Lana Del Rey

The Age Of Pleasure  by Janelle Monáe

GUTS  by Olivia Rodrigo

Midnights  by Taylor Swift

SOS  by SZA

Projected winner: “the record” by boygenius or “Midnights” by Taylor Swift

At this point, Taylor Swift is a Grammy’s mainstay. She’s won this title three times already, so it’d be no shock if she took home her fourth album of the year trophy for the album closely associated with her massive Eras tour. Boygenius’ first full length release, “the record,” captured indie and alternative audiences for the group’s approach to themes centering around forgiveness, Leonard Cohen and needing twenty dollars. Both “Midnights” and “the record” seemed to have a firm grip on music consumers for the majority of last year, making them both top contenders for the album of the year title. 

Who should win: “SOS” by SZA

SZA’s genre-spanning second album “SOS” expanded upon the blueprint laid out on 2017’s “Ctrl,” resulting in a 23 track exploration of insecurity, apathy and relationships. Although “SOS” is much more “smoothed out” and lacks some of the grit found throughout “Ctrl,” the record spurred multiple hits and instant classics. 

Winner: Midnights  by Taylor Swift

Song Of The Year 

A Songwriter(s) Award. A song is eligible if it was first released or if it first achieved prominence during the Eligibility Year. (Artist names appear in parentheses.) Singles or Tracks only.

Nominees:

“A&W,” Jack Antonoff, Lana Del Rey & Sam Dew, songwriters (Lana Del Rey)

“Anti-Hero,” Jack Antonoff & Taylor Swift, songwriters (Taylor Swift)

“Butterfly,” Jon Batiste & Dan Wilson, songwriters (Jon Batiste)

“Dance The Night (From Barbie The Album),” Caroline Ailin, Dua Lipa, Mark Ronson & Andrew Wyatt, songwriters (Dua Lipa)

“Flowers,” Miley Cyrus, Gregory Aldae Hein & Michael Pollack, songwriters (Miley Cyrus)

“Kill Bill,” Rob Bisel, Carter Lang & Solána Rowe, songwriters (SZA)

“Vampire,” Daniel Nigro & Olivia Rodrigo, songwriters (Olivia Rodrigo)

“What Was I Made For? [From The Motion Picture ‘Barbie’],” Billie Eilish O’Connell & Finneas O’Connell, songwriters (Billie Eilish)

Projected winner: “What Was I Made For? [From The Motion Picture ‘Barbie’]” by Billie Eilish

As an award that honors songwriting, the clear choice for this category is Eilish’s song for “Barbie.” Simplistic yet effective in its structure, “What Was I Made For?” tugs at the existentialism Margot Robbie’s Barbie faces in the film, but resonates with just about anyone who’s ever questioned their purpose. The song has already swept the awards circuit, so it’d be no surprise if it took home the gold. 

Who should win: “A&W” by Lana Del Rey

The choice for Del Rey to take home the award for this category may seem out of the blue, but it shines among its competitors. “A&W,” in all of its seven minute glory, flips the hopeless romantic image that Del Rey has long been associated with, and follows her adopting the moniker of “american whore.” What starts as a hazy guitar-led tale of troubled familial relationships and making love on hotel floors slithers with ominous tension as bass and percussion come into the mix, culminating with quasi-lofi hip-hop verses spit by music’s reigning “sad girl.” Plus, a song with the refrain “Jimmy, Jimmy, cocoa puff, Jimmy, Jimmy, ride,” taking home the trophy would be unforgettable to say the least. 

Winner: “What Was I Made For? [From The Motion Picture ‘Barbie’],” Billie Eilish O’Connell & Finneas O’Connell, songwriters (Billie Eilish)

Best New Artist

This category recognizes an artist whose eligibility-year release(s) achieved a breakthrough into the public consciousness and notably impacted the musical landscape.

Nominees: 

Gracie Abrams

Fred again..

Ice Spice

Jelly Roll

Coco Jones

Noah Kahan

Victoria Monét

The War And Treaty

Projected winner: Noah Kahan

For those not tuned into the alternative scene, Noah Kahan’s arrival to the global stage may have seemed out of the blue. Kahan achieved mass success with “Stick Season,” and a number of other standouts from his third album of the same name. With some help from heavy-hitters like Hozier, Post Malone and Kacey Musgraves, Kahan quickly became a mainstay in popular music. 

Who should win: Victoria Monét

With the release of her first full-length album “JAGUAR II,” and hit “On My Mama,” Victoria Monét finally gained her long-overdue flowers. As one of pop’s most prolific songwriters of the last decade, it was refreshing to see her find acclaim as the voice in front of the mic. If “JAGUAR II” is any indication of what’s to come from Monét in the future, the music industry is in for a treat. 

Winner: Victoria Monét

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance 

For new vocal or instrumental duo/group or collaborative pop recordings. Singles or Tracks only.

Nominees:

“Thousand Miles” by Miley Cyrus Featuring Brandi Carlile

“Candy Necklace” by Lana Del Rey Featuring Jon Batiste

“Never Felt So Alone” by Labrinth Featuring Billie Eilish

“Karma” by Taylor Swift Featuring Ice Spice

“Ghost In The Machine” by SZA Featuring Phoebe Bridgers

Projected winner: “Ghost In The Machine” by SZA Featuring Phoebe Bridgers

Two of popular music’s biggest names coming together for a collaboration almost automatically warrants success. In the case of SZA and Phoebe Bridgers, the result is a folksy R&B mid-tempo jam steeped in icy contemplations of humanity. Seeing the two artists win big for their collaboration seems about the obvious choice for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance.

Who should win: “Candy Necklace” by Lana Del Rey Featuring Jon Batiste

Lana Del Rey’s collaboration with Jon Batiste for her ninth studio album Did You Know That There’s A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd,” tells the story of two lovers distracted by their carefree, unsustainable connection. Atop a hauntingly repetitive piano instrumental played by Batiste, Del Rey serves up repetitive, but not reductive, stanzas of gut-wrenchingly diaristic lyricism. As Del Rey and Batiste’s voices toy back and forth with each other in the song’s final refrain, a deeply poignant set of sonic lenses is laid upon the listener. 

Winner: “Ghost In The Machine” by SZA Featuring Phoebe Bridgers

Best Pop Vocal Album 

For albums containing greater than 75% playing time of new pop vocal recordings.

Nominees:

Chemistry by Kelly Clarkson

Endless Summer Vacation by Miley Cyrus

GUTS by Olivia Rodrigo

– (Subtract) by Ed Sheeran

Midnights by Taylor Swift

Projected winner: “Midnights” by Taylor Swift. 

When the top 10 songs of Billboard’s Hot 100 chart is dominated by tracks from Swift’s “Midnights,” it’s clear that the people are enamored. Swift’s tenth studio album quickly became a defining album of late 2022. The surge in mass mainstream popularity that took place around the time of the album’s release — and ensued throughout all of 2023 — positions the record among the top of the year. 

Who should win: “Endless Summer Vacation” by Miley Cyrus

When weighing the nominees of this category, two pop vocalists immediately come to the forefront. Miley Cyrus and Kelly Clarkson are the obvious choices in this category for pop vocalists (emphasis on “vocalist.”). But Cyrus nudges Clarkson just out of the top honor for her first full-fledged venture into adult contemporary music. Cyrus seamlessly transitioned into a more refined sound, but still morphed between genres, resulting in a collection of stylistically engaging music that continued to push the envelope of contemporary pop. For these reasons, “Endless Summer Vacation” is the right choice — especially since her 2020 stroke of pop-rock perfection “Plastic Hearts was snubbed from nominations altogether. 

Winner: Midnights by Taylor Swift

Best Pop Dance Recording

For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances. Vocal or Instrumental. Singles or tracks only.

Nominees:

“Baby Don’t Hurt Me” by David Guetta, Anne-Marie & Coi Leray, Johnny Goldstein, Toby Green, David Guetta & Mike Hawkins, producers; Serban Ghenea, mixer

“Miracle” by Calvin Harris, Ellie Goulding
Burns & Calvin Harris, producers; Calvin Harris, mixer

“Padam Padam” by Kylie Minogue
Lostboy, producer; Guy Massey, mixer

“One In A Million” by Bebe Rexha & David Guetta
Burns & David Guetta, producers; Serban Ghenea, mixer

“Rush” by Troye Sivan
Styalz Fuego, Novodor & Zhone, producers; Alex Ghenea, mixer

Projected winner: “Padam Padam” by Kylie Minogue. 

The Aussie Queen of pop came into 2023 swinging. “Padam Padam” quickly became the unofficial anthem for 2023 Pride celebrations globally and spurred countless viral videos online. Sure, “Padam Padam” might be a bit lyrically rudimentary, and sure there’s far better songs on Minogue’s sixteenth studio effort “Tension,” but there’s just something about a 55-year-old pop veteran giving listeners “shivers and butterflies” that seems like it will take home the gold. 

Who should win: “Rush” by Troye Sivan

When Troye Sivan first posted a teaser of his “comeback” single “Rush,” the internet was set ablaze. One visit to your local gay bar will prove that the song continues to be a crowd pleaser. Not only would a win for “Rush” celebrate unabashed, risqué queer infatuation (Did someone call for a “pocket rocket?” ), but it would also be Sivan’s first win at the ceremony.  

Winner: “Padam Padam” by Kylie Minogue
Lostboy, producer; Guy Massey, mixer

Best Traditional R&B Performance

For new vocal or instrumental traditional R&B recordings.

Nominees:

“Simple” by Babyface Featuring Coco Jones

“Lucky” by Kenyon Dixon

“Hollywood” by Victoria Monét Featuring Earth, Wind & Fire & Hazel Monét

“Good Morning” by PJ Morton Featuring Susan Carol

“Love Language” by SZA

Projected winner: “Love Language” by SZA

This cut from 2022’s “SOS” draws upon the days of classic ‘90s R&B, (interpolating Aaliyah’s I Don’t Wanna) but gives the genre a refresh in true SZA fashion. Simplistic in its sonics, “Love Language” trades the big, singalong chorus for a brief refrain, allowing for the verses to shine. With lines like “Bad as I wanna be yours, I can’t get with your program/Sex hittin’ like a slow jam, stick around ’cause I want to,” accentuated by smooth vocal flourishes, need there be any more said? 

Who should win: “Hollywood” by Victoria Monét Featuring Earth, Wind & Fire & Hazel Monét

“Simple things, the little things…” Victoria Monét and Earth, Wind & Fire’s timeless tale of getting wrapped up in the “music machine” resounds with a sweet sense of nostalgia. Monét’s delivery is silky smooth, further accentuated by the light guitar strums, make for a deeply meditative three and a half minutes. The pairing of relative “newcomer” Monét and the veteran members of Earth, Wind & Fire makes the song’s subject matter that much more effective. Additionally, Monét’s daughter Hazel would become the youngest winner in Grammy’s history if “Hollywood” beats out the competition. 

Winner: Good Morning by PJ Morton Featuring Susan Carol

Best Rap Song

Nominees: 

“Attention” Rogét Chahayed, Amala Zandile Dlamini & Ari Starace, songwriters (Doja Cat)

“Barbie World [From Barbie The Album]” Isis Naija Gaston, Ephrem Louis Lopez Jr. & Onika Maraj, songwriters (Nicki Minaj & Ice Spice Featuring Aqua)

“Just Wanna Rock” Mohamad Camara, Symere Woods & Javier Mercado, songwriters (Lil Uzi Vert)

“Rich Flex” Brytavious Chambers, Isaac “Zac” De Boni, Aubrey Graham, J. Gwin, Anderson Hernandez, Michael “Finatik” Mule & Shéyaa Bin Abraham-Joseph, songwriters (Drake & 21 Savage)

“SCIENTISTS & ENGINEERS” Andre Benjamin, Paul Beauregard, James Blake, Michael Render, Tim Moore & Dion Wilson, songwriters (Killer Mike Featuring André 3000, Future And Eryn Allen Kane)

Projected winner: “Rich Flex” by Drake & 21 Savage

Two of rap’s heavy hitters teamed up for this verified Billboard and TikTok hit that radiates just enough internalized misogyny to make the well-informed listener uncomfortable. Despite lines like “all of you hoes need to remember who y’all talkin’ to,” raising the slightest of brows, the song was an undeniable hit that could easily win this category and would grant Drake his sixth Grammy

Who should win: “Barbie World [From Barbie The Album]” Nicki Minaj & Ice Spice Featuring Aqua

Female rap doesn’t get much better than when two of the genre’s biggest names join forces. Nicki Minaj and Ice Spice teamed up on a revamping of Aqua’s 1997 hit “Barbie Girl” for the “Barbie” soundtrack. Though the song doesn’t even reach the two minute mark, a win for all parties involved would mark a shift in the previously male-dominated winners of the category. 

Winner: “SCIENTISTS & ENGINEERS” Andre Benjamin, Paul Beauregard, James Blake, Michael Render, Tim Moore & Dion Wilson, songwriters (Killer Mike Featuring André 3000, Future And Eryn Allen Kane)

Best Música Urbana Album

For albums containing greater than 75% playing time of new Música Urbana recordings.

Nominees: 

SATURNO  by Rauw Alejandro

MAÑANA SERÁ BONITO  by Karol G

DATA  by Tainy

Projected winner: “MAÑANA SERÁ BONITO” by Karol G

Colombian-born singer Karol G achieved a massive mainstream breakthrough with her fourth studio album “MAÑANA SERÁ BONITO.” Not only did it top the Billboard 200 chart and nab the Album of the Year Latin Grammy, but it spurred a worldwide tour in stadiums across the U.S. and in arenas internationally. By spinning heartbreak into a collection of 17 songs reflecting her personal liberation and freedom, Karol ended up on top. 

Who should win: “MAÑANA SERÁ BONITO” by Karol G

#BichotaSZN2024

Winner: “MAÑANA SERÁ BONITO” by Karol G

Avery Heeringa, Columbia College Chicago

Contributing Writer

Avery Heeringa

Columbia College Chicago

Communication, Minor in Journalism

"Avery Heeringa is a senior at Columbia College Chicago studying Communication and Journalism. He’s passionate about all things music and pop culture related, and enjoys frequenting local record stores when not writing."