A fireplace for an article about winter relaxation.

4 Ways College Students Can Achieve the Ultimate State of Winter Relaxation

As finals draw ever closer, here are a few seasonal activities that can save you from the cold clutches of academic stress.

It is officially that time of the year. Winter break is practically upon us! I don’t know about you, but I absolutely love the holiday season. The fluffy sweaters, cozying up by the fireplace with a mug of hot chocolate — I could not imagine anything better. Amid a busy, stressful schedule, it is imperative that college students find the time to enjoy some of their favorite winter pastimes as well as relax and unwind before the onset of finals. You should take this upcoming break to celebrate the most joyous time of the year with the people you love, all while having a good laugh and trying new activities that will lead to unforgettable memories. The necessity for this joy is why I have put together a list of the best winter activities for college students to partake in.

1. Winter Sports

I would recommend checking out a winter sport, such as ice skating, skiing or sledding. Trying your hand at a winter sport is a must during the wintertime. They are a lot of fun, especially if you go with a big group of friends or family! They provide you with an opportunity to bond with the people you care about the most and are a great way to get your exercise in. Not to mention, these activities make for great photo opportunities.

If you want to take it to the next level, you could try ice skating on a lake. Some of the most scenic skating rinks in the world are located on frozen lakes, ponds and rivers. However, if you can’t find a lake in your area, you will still probably be able to find a nearby outdoor ice skating rink. Outdoor ice skating rinks are very common during the winter season, even in places that don’t have snow. Put on your blades and get ready to coast around the rink — and don’t forget to follow up your session with a delicious cup of hot chocolate.

2. Pastries to Battle the Cold

What’s next on the bucket list? Baking! The winter season is a great time to teach yourself how to cook and/or bake. Perhaps you could enroll in a cooking class. There’s nothing like learning tricks and tips from the experts. The winter season is known for its delectable desserts and pastries, from the mouth-watering apple crumble to the delicious peppermint bark. Baking is a relaxing yet fun activity! I would recommend starting out by baking simple holiday cookies before moving on to more complex desserts. It’s always fun to bake and decorate cookies with the people you love, especially during the holidays!

3. The Warmth of Appreciation

Another activity to add to your winter to-do list is starting a gratitude journal. I started my very own gratitude journal last winter and have been writing in it ever since. It is good to start off each morning by writing down five things you are grateful for in your journal. Initially, this may be a struggle. Being wrapped up in a world full of fear and disappointment can certainly cloud the good in your life and make it hard to recognize all the wonderful things that you should be thankful for. You must think hard, however, because there is always something to be grateful for. Did you just drink a warm, delicious cup of apple cider? Did you have a spectacular time going sledding with your friends? These are all things that you can take note of in your gratitude journal.

I don’t know about you, but I am a huge advocate for self-care. Whether you have had a long, tiring day or an easy, simple one, having a relaxing time at the spa will prove to be very beneficial. After all, you deserve it! You have been working hard this semester and should be extremely proud of yourself. When I go to the spa, I like to get a manicure or a facial; however, you are free to do whatever feels best for you, whether that be getting a massage or having your nails painted.

During the winter, however, I would recommend visiting the sauna while you are at the spa at least once. The sauna will relax your tense muscles and offer you a comfortable, calming sensation amid the winter season. All in all, you can never go wrong with a nice trip to the spa. You can sweat out impurities, ensure your skin glows, relax your muscles and let your worries flow away with the steam of a hot sauna.

4. Winter Holiday Entertainment

What’s next on my checklist, you may ask? Watching holiday movies! The winter season is the perfect time to cuddle on the couch or in front of the fireplace with some popcorn and watch all of those cheesy yet addicting holiday rom-coms. Whether you watch these movies by yourself or with other people, you are bound to have a merry good time! If you are not a fan of romantic comedies, you could consider rewatching a series you like, such as “Harry Potter” or “Star Wars.” You could also have an Oscar-winning movie marathon. Nowadays, it is easy to stream the movies you want to check out. Simply downloading Netflix or Hulu will grant you access to hundreds of renowned films.

Last in my queue of winter ventures is arts and crafts! You may be thinking, “Isn’t that a children’s activity?” The answer is a hard no. College students can engage in arts and crafts, too, and they can have just as much fun doing them, if not more. There’s also a bonus: Creating crafts is a great way to bring the family together. One of my favorite things to make during winter is a DIY snow globe. I mean, who doesn’t love a good, classic winter snow globe? I love this craft because it doesn’t require much money. It is easy to make on your own, but it is also an amazing family activity. Another winter craft idea is a snowy day painting. For this, all you need to do is go outside, set up a canvas and paint what you see. At the end of your painting session, you will have a beautiful winter landscape to frame in your home.

With these handy-dandy winter activities at your disposal, your holiday season is sure to be a memorable one.

Daniela Saffran, Rollins College

Daniela Saffran

Rollins College
English and Business Administration

My name is Daniela Saffran, and I am from Massachusetts. I am a junior at Rollins College, where I am currently studying English with a concentration in creative writing. I have published five children’s novels, as well as countless poems and screenplays. I have been passionate about writing for as long as I can remember, and I am beyond excited to be working with Study Breaks Magazine!