a person on the beach during summer vacation

10 Last-Minute Things To Do This Summer

The season is winding down, but it’s not too late to get a few fun activities in before school starts. Consider adding these outings to your final days of vacation!

For most college students, school starts in the next two to three weeks. Internships or summer jobs may have prevented you from doing a lot of the things you’d originally planned to do this summer, but it’s not too late to make some memories with friends and family. Here are plenty of indoor and outdoor activities you can do without much preparation.

1. Beach Trip

If you live on the coast, it’d be a shame not to take at least one trip to the beach this summer! For a happy, safe and cool trip, check out this list of 10 must-haves for a day at the beach. If you don’t live near a beach and would rather not drive hours to get to one, there may be a lake near you that allows public swimming.

2. Hiking

For those of you who love the outdoors, hiking is a great summer activity to do by yourself or with friends and family. Hiking provides a way for you to clear your mind and enjoy nature while also getting a good workout in. A quick Google search for “hiking trails near me” will show you all the highly rated trails in your local area.

3. Camping

Camping is another outdoor summer activity that will be especially fun with friends and family. If you’re having trouble finding a campsite near you, there’s no need to worry; the best part about camping is that you can do it in your backyard.

4. Fishing

Fishing might not sound like the most fun activity to do this summer, and it’s definitely not everyone’s cup of tea. Nonetheless, it’s worth trying at least once. Even if you don’t catch anything, it’s a great opportunity to relax and enjoy the outdoors.

5. Picnic

A picnic at the park or in your backyard is a great way to bring friends and family together. It’s also a low-cost activity since everyone can contribute something. All you need is a blanket, food, drinks, music and the people you enjoy being around!

6. Arcade

Although it can get a bit costly, going to an arcade is always a fun activity for any time of the year. Whether it’s Dave & Buster’s or a local arcade, you’ll probably find yourself not wanting to leave. From claw machines to Space Invaders, there are dozens of games to try out, and you can even cash in the tickets you’ve earned for some prizes when you’re done!

7. Roller Skating

When people think of summer activities, roller skating is probably one of the first things that comes to mind, especially thanks to the most recent season of “Stranger Things.” Roller skating is a budget-friendly activity and a great way to exercise while still having fun.

8. Amusement Park

Although it may be difficult to find cheap tickets at the last minute, you can always try going to an amusement park. A day at the amusement park with friends and family is sure to be full of fun and laughter. If there are no amusement parks near you, a cheaper and cooler alternative is a water park. Most states have plenty of water parks that you can visit, and it may even be cheaper than a normal amusement park.

9. Road Trip

Even if you don’t really have a destination in mind, a road trip with your friends or family can be the highlight of your summer. Stopping at random locations, watching movies in the car and eating at different restaurants are only a few of the many things that can make for a memorable road trip.

10. Outdoor Concert/Music Festival

Going to an outdoor concert or music festival is the perfect last-minute activity to do with friends. It’s easy to check online for any events happening near you, and local events are normally cheap, if not free, to attend. Even if you aren’t familiar with any of the artists who are performing, you just might end up liking their music and becoming a fan!

Cassandra Jenkins, Temple University

Cassandra Jenkins

Temple University

Hi! My name is Cassandra and I’m a senior journalism major at Temple University. I love reading, writing and playing video games.