An illustration of must-haves for the beach

10 Must-Haves for a Day at the Beach

A relaxing outing can easily take a turn for the worse if you aren't prepared. Read this list to ensure you stay happy, safe and cool.

Here are some essentials for a day at the beach!

1. Umbrella Beach Chair

It can be a hassle to carry bulky chairs and a huge umbrella to the beach. Thankfully, many retailers sell beach chairs with umbrellas attached, and we recommend the Sport-Brella Beach Chair from Amazon, which only costs $64.98. This foldable, water-resistant, easy-to-carry chair provides a cup holder, padded armrests and UPF 50+ shade coverage. The chair is available in gray and midnight blue and includes a matching carrying bag. To take your relaxation a step further, you can even purchase the reclining version for $64.99.

If you already have a chair and would rather not buy another one, you’re still in luck! Sport-Brella sells the adjustable umbrella with a universal clamp separately, which is available in two sizes and comes in nine colors and patterns.

2. Beach Tent

If you’re still not sold on buying individual umbrellas for each of your beach chairs, a tent might be a more practical and affordable option. You’ll be the envy of everyone else on the beach with the White Fang Deluxe Beach Tent. This tent is easy to set up and provides shelter for three to four people. Not only does it have an extendable floor to provide extra space for more activities, but it also features ventilating windows to maintain airflow and keep the tent cool. You will also receive a carrying bag for easy transport and storage.

3. Sand-Proof Beach Blanket

No one likes a sandy towel or blanket, especially when it’s time to put it back in the car. The POPCHOSE Beach Blanket, which is currently $24.64 on Amazon, is the perfect waterproof and sand-proof blanket. Thanks to the blanket’s polyester material, sand can easily be brushed off, and the blanket will dry quickly. This blanket fits four to seven people and can conveniently fold into a compact size that fits into the included carrying pouch.

4. Dog Cooling Mat

We all love a fun day at the beach with family and friends, and there’s no reason why your dog can’t join in on the fun too. If you’re worried about your dog being too hot at the beach, a dog cooling mat might be the perfect solution. We recommend Arf Pets Dog Cooling Mat, which is available on Amazon for $59.99. This self-charging cooling mat requires no water, refrigeration, batteries or electricity, making it a low-maintenance option to keep your dog cool and comfortable. Also, the mat’s simple design makes it easy to clean and maintain.

5. Beach Bag

If you want to keep all of your beach essentials organized — such as sunscreen, sunglasses, beach toys and towels — the Oscaurt Beach Bag will fit the bill. This extra-large bag is waterproof, sand-proof and durable. The bag includes a waterproof pocket, seven outside mesh pockets and a large main pocket with a zipper closure. The Oscaurt Beach Bag, which comes in eight colors, can be purchased from Amazon for as low as $18.69.

6. Cooler

It’s important that you stay energized and hydrated on the beach, which is why bringing a cooler is always a good idea. With the Coleman Portable Cooler, you can bring cold drinks, snacks like turkey jerky and ice to your outing. This huge cooler has heavy-duty wheels for easy transportation and cup holders to keep drinks close and prevent spilling. The cooler even features a lid that doubles as a seat, supporting up to 250 pounds.

7. Portable Fan

In addition to umbrellas and tents, portable fans are another great option for keeping cool on a hot day. The JISULIFE Handheld Mini Fan is small in size but big in function. This fan provides up to 21 hours of cooling time on one full charge, so it will definitely survive a long day at the beach. It also serves as a flashlight and a power bank for your phone.

8. Cooling Towel

If the portable fan isn’t enough to keep you cool, try the YQXCC Cooling Towels. The YQXCC Towels include four towels that will provide you with instant cooling. Their unique cooling system uses moisture from the towel to draw the sweat away from your skin and keep you comfortable.  Each towel comes with a carrying pouch and clip, making them easy to store, carry and hang.

9. Waterproof Phone Pouch

If you’re afraid of your phone falling into the ocean, the JOTO Universal Waterproof Phone Pouch will solve that problem! Thanks to the pouch’s neck strap, you can conveniently carry your phone into the ocean without having to worry about it getting wet or falling into the water. This pouch is compatible with devices up to 3.35 x 6.69 inches and has a clear window on both the front and back, making it perfect for taking pictures and videos.

10. Beach Wagon

To carry all that stuff around, you might want to invest in a beach wagon. Mac Sports Collapsible Beach Wagon will easily fit all your beach must-haves. Although it’s a bit pricey, currently costing $111.39 on Amazon, this heavy-duty beach wagon will make transporting all your essentials simple and easy. The wagon is compact and collapsible, providing convenient storage.

Cassandra Jenkins, Temple University

Cassandra Jenkins

Temple University

Hi! My name is Cassandra and I’m a senior journalism major at Temple University. I love reading, writing and playing video games.