The famous couch from “Roseanne” will have an extra spot this October. It has been confirmed that there will be a reboot of the series without the star of the show. The original revival was cancelled after just one season by ABC after main actress Roseanne Barr tweeted a racist remark about Obama staff member Valerie Jarrett.

Many of Barr’s co-stars and colleagues took to Twitter to express their feelings about her post. Wanda Sykes, the consulting producer for the show, tweeted that she would not be returning to ”Roseanne.” Sarah Gilbert, the executive producer of “Roseanne” also shared her disappointment online. She wrote: “Roseanne’s recent comments about Valerie Jarret, and so much more, are abhorrent and do not reflect the beliefs of our cast and crew or anyone associated with our show. I am disappointed in her actions to say the least.”

Will the revitalized version of the show gain a strong following or will it struggle to attract viewers without Barr? ABC posted a teaser video for the new series which shows an empty couch and poses the question “What’s Next?” That’s a legitimate thing to ask after all of the negative attention the show received because of Barr.

While many details have yet to be released, few aspects of the sitcom are set in stone. The new version of the show is called “The Connors” and will focus on the rest of the family including Dan Connor (John Goodman), Jackie Harris (Laurie Metcalf), D.J. Connor (Michael Fisherman) and Becky Connor (Alicia Goranson).

According to Vulture, Barr will be killed off the series in order to add her removal from the series to the storyline. Goodman commented on the personality change of his character in the upcoming season. He said: “It’s an unknown. I guess he’ll be mopey and sad because his wife’s dead.”

The dynamic of the family will certainly be different, and it will be interesting to see how well Barr’s removal from the show plays into the plot. Will characters continue to refer to Barr’s on-screen death throughout the season or will the death be quickly mentioned?

Should the show still continue without Barr, or should the entire series be shut down entirely? The Connor family might be feeling the loss of Barr’s character, but fans won’t. Many people might choose to boycott the show even though Barr is no longer associated, or new audience members might fall in love with the “The Connors.” The revamped series will premiere on Oct. 16 at 8 p.m. and will contain 10 episodes.

Alexis Rogers

Temple University
Journalism and Spanish