Woman giving an anatomical heart to someone while a crowd watches and records on their phones.
Illustrated by La Tuttle, University of Minnesota

‘Single’s Inferno,’ Relationships and Beauty for the Audience

Audiences react to the latest season of ‘Single’s Inferno’ and find comfort in the interpersonal drama that ensues.

“Single’s Inferno,” a South Korean Netflix show, stands out as a spectacle of mostly famous individuals from South Korea. Participants are stripped of their civilization and left on an island of inferno for eight days, where they must survive by cooking their food, walking kilometers on sandy and rocky landscapes, living in dorms with the same-gender contestants and competing in games. The only way to escape Inferno and enter Paradise (an overnight date at a luxury hotel) is to make a match with someone or win in the games, which could be anything from a race to a chicken fight

Along with the challenges, panelists provide personal insights and playfully joke about the participants’ efforts to win someone over. The judges on all three seasons are composed of popular South Korean celebrities such as singer Cho Kyu-hyun, model and actress Lee Da-hee, model and comedian Hong Jin-Kyung and rapper Jung Hanhae. 

The show’s release in 2021 reached viewers who were equally shocked and enchanted by the show’s format and “Single’s Inferno” became the first Korean reality show that reached Netflix’s Global 10 list and maintained its spot in Netflix’s Top 10 list in 31 countries. Still, unlike numerous American dating reality shows, the South Korean show undergoes various rules and restrictions due to cultural taboos. The participants show minimal physical intimacy, only resorting to handholding or short embraces.

“Single’s Inferno” Season 3 included surprising features such as the integration of two separate islands, where participants were divided at the beginning of the season, before being put together to create more interpersonal conflicts and connections. The panelists also included Season 2’s fan-favorite contestant, Kim Jin-young.

Another intriguing new component of Season 3 was that all the female participants were previous models or beauty pageant contestants. This led to a fascinating discussion on whether this was a tactic to please audiences or a strategy to ensure more drama and competitiveness between the women on the show. Both theories seem to have worked since Season 3 became the most successful season so far. 

Beauty expectations were made clear in the first season when one of the male contestants pointed out that one of the female contestants was his ideal type because of her white skin and therefore, purity. Social Media users criticized and reprimanded the participants for their colorism and shallow standards, while others mentioned that this was a typical South Korean beauty standard. However, a heartwarming aspect of the new season was the solidarity between the women as they spoke openly about how they were treated by the men and who they were interested in.

The recent season introduced the Netflix audience to female contestants from Kim Gyu-ri (model who participated in Miss Korea 2022) to Cho Min-ji (student at Ewha Womans University and Miss Korea 2021) and male contestants from Lee Jin-seok (manager of café bakeries) to Gwan-hee (professional basketball player for the LG Sakers). 

The most prevalent plotline, which had the most screen time and was the most discussed on social media platforms, was the question of who Gwan-hee would choose. Gwan-hee captured the hearts of three women, becoming a unique spectacle in the show because previous seasons often had women protagonists choosing between three men. In the case of Gwan-hee, he was forthcoming about keeping his options open between Hye-Seon, Ha-Jeong, and Min-ji (and even Gyu-ri before her cold rejection). 

Despite being the same age, Hye-Seon and Min-ji were viewed as opposites with one being adored and the latter loathed. While Hye-Seon was praised for telling Gwan-hee that she wasn’t going to be a choice if she wasn’t a priority, Min-ji was criticized for playing along with Gwan-hee’s game. One of the most controversial scenes was the “helicopter scene” where three dates were on their way to Paradise. These three dates included Gwan-hee and Hye-son, Ha-jeong and Ha-bin and Min-ji and Min-kyu. Rather than focusing on their respective dates, Min-ji continuously poked at Gwan-hee’s shoulder and pulled on his shirt. Gwan-Hee shook her hand off and this turndown led Min-ji to tears. Many viewers and Twitter users mentioned the second-hand embarrassment and lack of respect that Min-ji showed and compared her to a mistress. She was the main contestant that people looked down on as she also wore a mini nightgown that exposed her backside

Gwan-hee, besides being designated as a red flag by viewers, was both applauded and called a coward by the panelists. He often encouraged the women to pursue him and was accused of being a gaslighter. His behavior with Ha-Jeong during their first date often balanced between teasing and insulting while also seeking her approval. When Ha-Jeong confronted Gwan-hee about his disrespectful behavior (but maintained her interest in pursuing him), Gwan-hee turned her down. Media articles discussed his mean-spirited behavior, especially toward Ha-Jeong whom they believe he was pleased to wound. Viewers who watched the show as it aired mentioned that Hye-Seon would be the best choice because of her maturity and ability to be vulnerable in her conversations. 

Previous participant, Jin-young, mentioned that you chose your values when picking a partner. In many scenarios, individuals must choose between “excitement” or “comfort.” He mentioned that Gwan-hee’s excitement is Min-ji and his comfort is Hye-seon. On the final day, fans were excited when Gwan-hee chose Hye-Seon and left the island with her. 

Viewers of the show made memes and edits (including in different languages!) as each episode was released every week on Tuesdays. They were endeared by Ha-Jeong’s flirty chin technique, Hye-Seon’s expressive gestures, and Mink-yu’s reaction to Min-Ji crying. They also loved to pick apart Gyu-ri’s smile and uncanny face as she fought in a game against her companions and her uncomfortable behavior with Min-Woo as she laughed when he rejected her. Fans were enthusiastic about rumors of a confirmed fourth season and that Ha-Jeong will join the panelists. 

Although Gwan-hee clarified that he and Hye-Seon are not currently dating due to her education and student status, “Single’s Inferno” and its participants continue to be spoken about on social media. 

Reality shows invite viewers to identify with, challenge, and appreciate ‘characters,’ who are often not treated as authentic humans. In “Single’s Inferno,” not only do viewers observe the participants, but the participants are observed by the panelists, whom the viewers can agree or disagree with. “Single’s Inferno” and other dating shows allow people to reflect on their dating behaviors (most of the time). Online communities on TikTok, Twitter, and Instagram bond over what personalities or aspects of the show to criticize while acknowledging the cultural differences that they might have.

Mariana Vaca, Lake Forest College

Contributing Writer

Mariana Vaca

Lake Forest College

English (Creative Writing)

"Mariana Vaca is an English major at Lake Forest College. She is devoted to education, literature, animation, and diversity. She also loves her dog and family!"