Justin Bieber
Justin Bieber

Justin Bieber Is Taking the Backlash for His Baby Prank in Stride

Celebrities make jokes too!

The marriage of pop sensation Justin Bieber and supermodel Hailey Baldwin was a quick, unforeseen surprise. Since the unexpected announcement of their engagement in 2018, fans have lamented their lost chances at a shot with Bieber and argued whether or not Baldwin is fit to be his wife till death do them part. Apart from the shock of the marriage as whole, however, Bieber left his followers jaw-dropped again last week after a series of Instagram posts announcing that Baldwin was pregnant.

The first photo in the series depicted an ultrasound image of a baby — without a caption. Fans argued whether or not the pregnancy rumors were true, but there were no definite answers because of Bieber’s brief social media silence, as well as the date of the post. It was the first day of the month, April Fools’ Day.

Shortly after, Bieber posted a photo of Baldwin at the doctor, and it appeared as though she was receiving an ultrasound on her abdomen.

“If U thought it was April fools,” Bieber captioned cynically.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvuelVAHrOY/

It is safe to say the vast majority of his 108 million followers were, well, really confused. Even countless other celebrities, including Kris Jenner, Ellen DeGeneres, Luis Fonsi, Ty Dolla $ign, Ludacris and many more, conveyed confusion as they commented their congratulations on the posts.

“Congratulations! The legacy continues,” social media influencer King Bach said. “A miracle,” Kyle Massey, a musician and actor commonly known from his roles in Disney Channel’s “That’s So Raven” and “Cory in the House,” said. Unfortunately, Baldwin’s responses to the posts were vague, leaving the world clueless yet again.

Finally, after several seemingly endless hours of global disorientation and miniature panic attacks, Bieber uploaded a picture of a puppy photoshopped into the ultrasound. Alas, the pregnancy was an April Fools’ joke.

The saying goes, “expect the unexpected,” but in this case, the public had to unexpect Bieber’s expected. Some were disheartened, some were relieved and some were actually infuriated by Bieber’s fake news. According to Fox News, critics claimed that the Bieber-baby prank was totally ignorant to the infertile community, and that fertility is not a joking matter.

“Justin Bieber lying about Hailey being pregnant is beyond disrespectful,” one critic tweeted. “1 in 4 women suffer from infertility, miscarriages, still born babies. How f— disrespectful, April fools or not, fake pregnancy announcements are f— disgusting.”

“Justin Bieber joking about Hayley being pregnant is soooooo insensitive considering there’s so many women out there that cannot get pregnant or have lost children,” read another tweet mentioned in the Fox News article.

The “Sorry” singer recognized the authority of the news platform, reposted a screenshot of the article onto his Instagram profile and apologized to his critics and fans for any disregard he unintentionally displayed through his April foolery.

“I didn’t at all mean to be insensitive to people who can’t have children,” Bieber wrote. “A lot of people I know, their first go to prank on April fools is telling their parents they are pregnant to get a big reaction. But I will apologize anyway and take responsibility and say sorry to people who were offended. I truly don’t want anyone to be hurt by a prank.”

Bieber’s attempted apology seemed more defensive than apologetic, as he rebutted, “There’s always going to be people offended, there’s also people who don’t take jokes very well, I am a prankster and it was APRIL FOOLS.”

However, commentators should cut him a little slack. Nothing should ever be taken seriously on April 1 without feasible credibility.

Despite the verbal attacks from an offended public, Bieber still continues to promote his rom-com-esque infatuation for his wife online. Exactly a week later, he posted a romantic, sensual photo of Baldwin in front of the amorous Eiffel Tower with a long, self-written love poem as the caption:

“Sunlight falls into the Abyss
Just like I fall into your lips
Waves crash onto the shore
My love for you grows more and more
Sound of the crickets a true meditation
I think about you, Gods greatest creation
As i fall into this blissful state
I ponder on how you’re my one true SOULMATE.”

Although the poem is far from literary ingenuity, it still manages to capture their divine love in its wholesome entirety. Another section of the poem continues,

“How big and how vast our world is around us
So grateful for god we were lost but he found us
So i write the poem with him always in mind
Things all around us Just get better with time.”

Bieber concluded the poem with joy, saying, “I fall more in love with you every day! You have walked hand and hand with me as I continue to get my emotions, mind, body and soul in tact! You have given me so much strength, support, encouragement and joy. I just wanted to publicly honor you, and remind you that the best is yet to come!”

The Bieber marriage has rollercoastered on social media since the announcement of their engagement last year. Trolls have expressed their opinions on the abrupt matrimony, and citizen journalists will continue to voice their nosy concerns every day. However, Bieber is clearly head over heels in love with Baldwin regardless, so fans and critics alike ought to be happy for the newlyweds. After all, in the biblically-inspired words of Bieber himself, the best is yet to come!