Dragon eating popcorn while watching TV.
Illustration by Gabriella Peabody, Butler University

Top 10 Chinese Films to Watch During Lunar New Year

Need something to watch to ring in the Lunar New Year? We have the perfect list for you!

Here are our top ten picks for Chinese films to watch during the Chinese New Year, ranging from heart-warming animation, action-packed Kung Fu dramas and even documentaries!

1. Joy Ride

One of the craziest comedies of this decade, Joy Ride explores the bonds of sisterhood, as four Asian-American girls travel to China, in search of the birth mother of one of the girls. The adventure of a lifetime brings the girls closer together and further apart, with a star-studded cast, including Oscar-nominee Stephanie Hsu and Tony-nominee Ashley Park and excellent dialogue. An exploration of tradition, family ties, female friendships and connection, this movie will have you in stitches from beginning to end, though maybe don’t watch it with your parents…

2. Raise the Red Lantern (大紅燈籠高高掛)

For those who value film as an art, this is a breath-taking look into Chinese cinema that has been shot with such purpose and dignity. After the death of her father, Songlian is forced to become a concubine for the emperor, where she is forced into competition with the other girls, all vying for the sole attention of their master. This film delves into the roles of women and patriarchy in feudal China, with stunning performances and an intensity reminiscent of a true classic.

3. Bao

Want something short and wholesome? This short Disney film from Turning Red director Domee Shi is the perfect bite-sized morsel that will have you craving home-cooked dumplings. When an elderly Chinese-Canadian woman’s dumpling comes to life one day, she feels a renewed sense of purpose and clings to the feeling of being a mother, even as her dumpling grows up and becomes more distant. This adorable Disney short is a beautiful snapshot of family, tradition and love that will make you want to give your mother a hug.

4. Kung Fu Hustle (功夫)

Everyone loves a classic Kung Fu movie and this film is the best parody of those over the top Kung Fu actions we have come to love. When several scam artists trick the peasants of a slum village into thinking they’re members of the feared Axe Gang, the true gang members take offence and begin a reign of terror on the residents of the town. Luckily, there are several returned Kung Fu masters ready to save the day! Classically funny with some awesome Kung Fu fight scenes, this movie is a sure crowd-pleaser.

5. Wish Dragon 

This adorable animation is perfect for any family movie night and a hit amongst all ages! After his best friend moves away as a child, Din spends the rest of his life wishing he could reconnect with her. Then, when he discovers a magical, wish-granting dragon inside a thousand-year-old teapot, Din realises he has the chance to get his best friend back, and embarks on an adventure through Shanghai. This movie is fun and heart-warming and despite being targeted towards kids, has plenty of moments to keep ‘kids-at-heart’ entertained also.

6. The Blue Kite (蓝风筝)

One of the best, most tragic films to come out of China in the 21st century, this film recounts the experiences of a family whose father was forced to work in labour camps under Mao’s regime. The mother and son now must battle to survive under a communist regime with no father figure to support them. This film gives insight into a tumultuous time in Chinese history, from a truly human perspective, giving a greater understanding of the true impact and hardship faced by the people who experienced it.

7. The Farewell

Beautifully shot, with an enchanting mix of comedy and heart, The Farewell recounts the story of a Chinese-American family who discover their grandmother and matriarch is about to pass away. However, she is the only person who doesn’t know… The family returns to China, under the guise of a family wedding, to say a final goodbye to their grandmother and come together one last time. Awkwafina stars in a Golden Globe-nominated performance as Billi, who tries to come to terms with a family and tradition that feels so distant, in a place that should feel like home.

8. Cook Up A Storm (决战食神)

Nothing beats a good home-cooked meal, especially if Chinese is on the menu! But what happens when a classically-trained Michelin star chef from France goes up against a famous Cantonese street-food chef? Find out in this surprisingly action-packed comedy, that pits the East and West against each other in a fight to see whose cuisine shines the brightest. With the most beautiful cinematography, hilarious dialogue and exciting cooking scenes, you will never look at food the same way again.

9. 76 Days

The COVID-19 pandemic was a terrible time for everyone around the world. This documentary shares the story of the frontline patients and health-care professionals in Wuhan, the city where the first coronavirus infections emerged. Doctors and medical professionals are battling a virus that is spreading so quickly and has been seen nowhere else in the world, doing their best to slow the spread and ensure no one else gets sick. This is an intimate look into a different side of the pandemic, exploring how people can pull together in times of need.

10. Ride On

Everyone’s greatest fear is to go viral for something embarrassing right? Well, for washed-up stuntman, Lao, this fear came true. Now he goes on a hilarious journey to get his revenge which made him a laughing stock. This movie has a classic charm that can only be achieved through a classic Kung Fu action, that rivals even the glory days of Jackie Chan.

This list is a good introduction into Chinese and Chinese-American films of all genres and types, your kickstart into a year full of good cinema. So, now that you’ve (hopefully) found a genre you enjoy, dive into a new year and a new set of films to fall in love with! There’s plenty more out there!

Finlay O'Connell, Minerva University

Contributing Writer

Finlay O'Connell

Minerva University

Arts & Literature/History

"From a small country town in Australia, I love anything to do with art, film and music. My favourite thing to do is work pop culture references into university assignments."