Illustrated by Alessandra Garza, University of North Texas

The Story Behind Bluey’s Most Hated Character: Muffin

It's Muffin! Why arguably the most-hated character on Bluey plays such a valuable role. 

One of the greatest points of contention in Bluey, most viewers cannot see Muffin’s value beyond her apparent problems.

Internet-renowned and enjoyed by an audience consisting of far more than just toddlers, Bluey has become a relevant point of discussion in animated media as a whole. Not only is the show beautifully crafted, well-written and adorable, but each character serves a particular purpose. Though the show is centered around Bluey,her little sister, Bingo, and their parents, recurring characters are a big part of why the show is so iconic. 

Bluey’s collection of friends, relatives and adult mentors all offer different perspectives, reflecting the roles other people serve in a young child’s life. Though some characters are rather simple—like Buddy, who is “often seen picking his nose,”—other characters represent different children, growing up with their own unique struggles. In a sense, characters like Dougie, who is learning Australian Sign Language (Auslan), and Coco, who can be rather bossy when playing with others, both depict the different ways children navigate themselves and those around them. 

Characters like Dougie and even bossy Coco are rather beloved in the Bluey fandom, but other characters meant to play a similar role are not so loved and cherished. Like Muffin. 

Bluey and Bingo’s younger cousin, Muffin is only three-years-old and acts like it, too. Her attitude is intolerable, to Bluey’s family , and in almost every episode she makes an appearance, audiences cannot help but criticize the three-year-old puppy. As a three-year-old puppy, she is “tantrum-prone” and spoiled.Audiences didn’t hesitate to critique both her and her parents, Trixie and Stripe. 

“Muffin Cone” (Season 2, Episode 42) is the most visceral depiction of Muffin, as the episode centers entirely around her inability to stop sucking her thumb wear a cone and throw a tantrum when she cannot play with her cousins. 

Muffin isn’t the only one taking hits in this particular episode.Her father Stripe is rather controversial as well. The episode, though centered around Muffin’s cone, includes the conflict when Stripe describes Muffin as the “most special kid in the whole world.” As much as Muffin is hated for her arrogant attitude, acting as if she is above all rules, her father,Stripe, is also a point of contention. As still a rather new parent to a barely infant child, he and his wife Trixie are both bashed online for their carefree attitude with their daughters, especially Muffin. 

In defense of Muffin’s bratty behavior, fans have directed the blame to her parents. 

In “FaceyTalk” (Season 3, Episode 24), we see a clear instance in which Trixie and Stripe struggle to manage Muffin as a toddler. The episode involves Muffin and her little sister on FaceTime with their cousins Bluey and Bingo, where we can see a rather pivotal point of Muffin’s relationship with her parents. When Muffin “hogs” the tablet from her little sister, we can see how Stripe is not even present to enforce rules and the fact that Trixie recognizes a problem and decides to separate herself as she has “somewhere to be.” When the situation finally comes to a head, we can see how Trixie confronts Stripe rather than her daughter, recognizing that though they are struggling to discipline Muffin as parents, they are also struggling as a couple and how to compromise how they raise their kids

In “Charades” (Season 2, Episode 11), Muffin participates in a game of charades with her cousins and baby sister, Socks. Completely misunderstanding the entire point of the game, Muffin melts down in totality when her performance as a ballerina is imperfect, as she does not have a tutu and no music to dance to. As obnoxious as she comes across, throwing a total tantrum each time her performance is minorly offset, her misunderstanding and tantrums are genuinely reflective of her nature as a three-year-old. She is attempting to understand the expectations of others, to express how exactly she wants to play the game and enjoy her time with her family.But because she is only three, she comes across as bratty and spoiled against the rest of her grown family. 

But Muffin is not mean-spirited or bossy or mean, or even antagonistic at all. Though she comes across as entitled, in “Granny Mobile” (Season 3, Episode 33), we can see instances of Muffin’s kind and considerate nature. When she isn’t having difficulty expressing her emotions, she is kind and sensitive. When pretending to be the “Grouchy Granny,” she apologizes to Bluey for her attitude, asking if “Grouchy Granny” really had to be that grouchy. 

As spoiled and unlikeable as she may sometimes come across , Muffin’s purpose in the series is to represent an incredibly young child. Her parents, in essence, aren’t clueless, but rather new parents learning through Muffin as their oldest daughter, as well as their nieces Bluey and Bingo. The apparent juxtaposition between Bluey and Muffin is moreso meant to depict a difference in familial expectations.

Rather than viewing Muffin’s next in-show appearance with disgust, it’s important to remember that kids are not meant to depict perfect personal habits. 

Cerasela Hanseter, University of California, Berkeley

Contributing Writer

Cerasela Hanseter

University of California, Berkeley

"Hi, I'm Cerasela (CHAIR-a-SELL-a), and I am an English major at UC Berkeley! I am studying the prerequisites for medical school as well, but in my free time I like exercising, meeting cats, and writing."